Home

WIP : Low Poly Battle Droid

SilentMobius

Well I've been working on this for a while, please note I'm a programmer not a modler. The point of this model is that weighing in at 959 tri's you can get about 3 of them for one stormtrooper. I'm looking to do a co-op style mod that allows around 3-8 Jedi/Other troups to fight against wave after wave of Trade federation scum. My plan is to spawn these as scripted npc's with much more limited AI than the bots, no running or jumping for these guys.

Note that this guy is already fully segmented and should bend in a convincing manner (as long as he doesn't try to butterfly) even the side hydrolics deform nicely. The Backpack will be surf'd so you can have it with or without.

Although I haven't skinmapped him yet I'm going to weight him so I can see him moving tonight.

http://www.silentmobius.co.uk/GFX/LP_BattleDroid.jpg

Pretty Sweet now I'll have two versions of BD's to destroy, oh and if you don't include caps I'll unleash my three headed monkey on you!!!!!!!!!!!!

:3headed: Oh hey guys what's up... er, I mean ROOOAOROAR!!!!!!!!!

=OD...skin or no skin that looks great...i can't wait to be able to play it

ya know...there hasn't been any good model releases latly...i hope one of the great models being made are gunu be released soon...Jango/Boba/Maul/Vader/that chick with the 2 tentacles/and the clone troopers r getting boring =O(

All of the parts are closed already. No caps should be necessary and I will be including the appropriate bolts so you can cut off hands/legs/heads/torso's (after all that's half the fun)

The only realy killer if the head.

I spend days testing the bone systems to see if I could attach the head properly, but the best I can do is have the head bound to the neck with about 10% of the head's movement merged in. Anything more than that and the head _will_ shear off the neck in a very annoying fashion.

Once I get him in game and skinned I'll look to doing a _really_ low poly verson (400-500 polys) for distance shots.

Well, it still needs work but it's in the game...

http://www.silentmobius.co.uk/shot0012.jpg

http://www.silentmobius.co.uk/shot0027.jpg

http://www.silentmobius.co.uk/shot0028.jpg

http://www.silentmobius.co.uk/shot0035.jpg

Some of the mirrored sub-objects need their faces inverting, he needs a skinmap, and I need to sort out the bolts properly.

I'm so chuffed

Looking excellent, low poly will be very helpful for an EP2 arena scene. You should make some LODs for even LOWER poly using 3DSM's optimizer thing, or the plugin, don't remember where to get it, but I'm sure someone could tell you.

For skinning, a few people made some uber kickass ones for JK. If you got permission from the author, you could enhance the skin by doubling the textures' size, applying sharpen (optional) and full blown JPEG artifact removal. Should crisp it up. BTW, this is in PSP, I can't find anything like that in PS.

Did you say Co-op mod!?!? that would be great. thats my favorite type of gaming, merging single player and multiplayer so everyone works together to achieve a goal.

I like the low poly model too, for the number of polys, it looks just like them, for the battle droid i think low poly is almost just as good as high poly. Too bad you can't reduce it even further (i saw your model was chopped to the max, good reduction work) but i guess 3:1 is a good ration for the detail you still have in it. great job, glad to hear the backpack is deselectable, everyone knows how i love deselectable surfaces.

-Klorel

Originally posted by PIo Koon

=OD...skin or no skin that looks great...i can't wait to be able to play it

ya know...there hasn't been any good model releases latly...i hope one of the great models being made are gunu be released soon...Jango/Boba/Maul/Vader/that chick with the 2 tentacles/and the clone troopers r getting boring =O(

what are you talking about? those ones are great

Well, while you can apply a UVW modifier to a mesh without disrupting the skin modifier you can't colapse the mesh, bugger.

Oh well I guess I'll skinmap it then weight it again.

Although I have fliped the faces so that everything appears solid in the game.

Incidentally does anyone know how to invert the vertex order in a Max mesh? I'm sick of having to invert the normals in mirrored objects just because an exporter refuses to pay attention to max's own normals rather than the vertex order.

I think I might work on the weapon for a while, I have a nice bit of referance material

*Reads the sticky threads* *and the lightsaber tutorial*

Hmmm, I'm assuming that the md3 model is for first person diaplay and when it's just lying on the ground? and the glm is when it's bound to player? can anyone enlighten me?

Aba eto Mechinam eto cafe nam - Thread Resurrect.

Well the UVW mapping is _DONE_ I've split the skin into 3 parts

1, Backpack Probably 256x256 if that

2, Head, Upper Torso, Shoulders 512x512

3, The rest 512x512

The point of the split is that all the differences between the types of battle droid can be confined to map #2 and map #3 can be common, map #1 doesn't even have to be loaded if the backpack isn't used, thus minimising texture mem usage.

I'm going to weight it this week and release it for beta before I properly skin it, to be honest I'm not sure if my skinning skills are up to it.

*gives silent a drug that makes him go super fast without making mistakes* go go go...i can't wait to play as a droid man =O)...and i cant wait for that idea u talked about

the re-inacting of the geonosian battle with lots of droids and like 6 droids...w00t

someone also has to make gungans vs droids..that would be sweet!...well...as long as we get to kill Jar Jar ;)

Heh, well noticed, I shrunk it down yesterday, I'm going to bang on a basic skin tonight and post some new piccies for those who are interested, the mesh as been tweaked a bit since I posted the first message, there is also an optional command antenna (surf file yadda yadda) nothing ground breaking but I think it looks better now.

Also my episode 1 visual dictionary arrived yesterday, so when I get it from the post office hopefully it'll provide better referance.

This model looks great I couldn't tell if it was low poly or not its just right not to low and not to flashy and since your changing the back pack size it will be perfect for epII battles just skin it right and your good to go

I no nothing about skinning so correct me if im wrong but Ahhhhh! they not supossed to look like that :confused::confused: If you need help skinning and it appears you do please get some one to help so you can do it right but i could be wrong and you are doing it right i dont know just make them normal

Archived