Home

"Quake head" community

Darth Webster

Well, I'm sure this will ruffle a few fethers, but oh well... here goes;

I've noticed that the Jedi community seems to be VERY much like previous quake type things. Ie, dominated by Frag fixated, wholy than thou art, run 'n gun, script runnin, exploting abusing 14 yr old social outcasts...

I'm not saying this to spam those folks out there who actually play for the pure fun of the game and respect the rights of other to do the same. I'm talking about the over all "Flavor" of the community.

So, open the flood gates and let the flaming begin!! I've said what I had to say.

I dunno. I was able to find a community of Quake players who are respectful, fun, mature, and play with a high skill level. Even when I played in a TDM clan I found that folks were mostly upstanding. I've been quite satisfied.

Good thing is that they are slowly taking to JKII en masse...so the good times need not stop now!

This community really is no different from other game communities.

It has bad parts but usually it is cool.

If you want the worst game community then I suggest you pop in the CS one. That is full of what you are talking about is bad here.

I like this community alot more.

Kaito Fett

Props to JK2N for making this community a good one.

I agree to some point...but I have found many clans and players who play for teh fun of it...heck my DOD clan is made up of great payers from around the world and we are respectfull and have played alot of clans who are too.

Just like this game I have found a great server with good people.

I Will tell you something..you make think that the people who cheat and are all about frags are the majority..they are not...they are just the loudest when it comes to posting and such..we the true players here for fun dont care what people say most of the time..we just play teh damn game and have fun.

Just like im gong to do now

Originally posted by *Darth Vega*

See I avoid clans because from my experience they are often a compilation of what is wrong with the community. I did the clan thing before and there is just too much politics and bitching and whining for me.

Hehe, actually I've been playing online since more or less it's beginning.

I remember a few clans in the old DOOM days, but the whole thing really didn't catch on until Quake/Quake World.

I would have to say that although I have met some nice people over the years that were in clans, the majority of clan members I have played with have been condescending and arrogant towards beginners.

I can only assume it's the more in-depth immersion into the "virtual world" they take that tends to make them feel above the guy who just wants to mess around and have a good time.

And one thing, almost every "public" game hack ever released was at one time a private hack used by a clan that ended up getting leaked. Those of you who know your "bot history" can easily trace back almost any hack from the old StoogeBot of Quake World to the Quake 2 RatBot.

There have been a few exceptions like the public OGC, but most only become public upon being leaked.

Ironic huh?

I have been in clans since the Kali Doom days. 15 in all. But I dont see what your seeing. You say you see clans as condesending and arrogant to newbie players? A large majority of clanner and non clanner alike are condesending and arrogant to newbie players. So you shouldnt say its just clans. Even the Solo players are just as arrogant. If you want proof then check back in the history of some of these forums and look for the "Stupid newbie question" then read how many flamed the newbie. I am willing to bet an equal majority are non-clanners.

As for the best part of clanning. That is teamplay plain and simple. In team based matches you need clans. Now I am not talking FFA. I mean CTF or fortress style games. Ever tried to find a good team match on a pub server? Its a rare occurance. You only get real teamplay when you play with a clan. On a pub server you always get two or three morons that think they and they by themsleves will win the match and all others need to stay back and watch. Those are the ones I see die in horrible ways about 30 seconds after they made that decision.

But clans are better in FFA or DM type games too. If they know what they are doing that is. Go set up a four player room, find two clanners from the same clan that has played the game since it first came out, find two non clanners that has never played together or barely played together but played the game since it came out also and stick them in that server then see what happens. The two with the TAG will almost always come out with the most kills. I am sorry but its true. I would always put my money on the guys with the TAG.

Kaito Fett

I very rarely boast or brag. Because I know I am only fair. And there is always someone better no matter how good I am.

I remember in TFC there was a guy that was a great spy. And he was. All his boasting was true. This guy had skill. Then one day in the forum server he got nailed hard. Couldnt even come close to the flag. Let alone touch it. His score was 0/43. About an hour later people on the forums dogged him hard.

I love boasters. Even the skilled ones. Eevntually they boast one time to many and then get owned. After that its forum time to post every critique of the guy and he loses so much face.

LOL

Kaito Fett

Guest Krayt Tion

Has the public Jedi Knight community gone the way of the Quake? For the most part, yes. But you must know it wasn't always so.

From the best of my recollection, most in 1997 were happy just to be wielding the lightsabre, the force, and playing against each other online in the Star Wars universe with the release of JK.

Browser-based message boards like the fledgling UBB, featured on such important community sites as jediknight.net, were still relatively new and exciting for users to post on and interact with. Sure, back then we still had our fair shair of abused anonymity problems inherent with internet communication, but overall you found a much friendlier, cooperative Jedi Knight community. At this time there was a stark contrast between the communities of Quake and Jedi Knight.

Believe it or not this comparison was true of the early Jedi Knight clan scene as well. There was of course your fair share of overly-zealous, winning-at-all-costs, egocentric braggarts who formed up for Jedi Knignt multiplayer. For every one of those clans, however, there seemed to be at least two dedicated roleplaying clans who took up the saber or conc. I remember browsing through endless humble geocities webpages of the roleplaying clans, reading things like their devotion to the light or dark sides of the force and their fictional Jedi or mercenary backgrounds. A major distinction between the 'Skull-Raper' clans that dominated the Quake scene to be sure.

So why have things gone downhill since then?

For starters, look no further than the game itself; the strength and quality of a game often has a symbiotic relationship with its gaming community. Raven's game is easily the weakest in the Dark Forces series when judged against its contemporaries and by the degree of innovation as compared to previous games in the series. This is sure to drive many of those experienced, wiser and sometimes more intelligent JK community dinosaurs away- or at the very least prevent them from participating as much as they did with DF or JK.

These forums (which represent the single largest gathering of JO players under one electronic roof and therefore can be argued is the most influential web-based community for the game) have degraded because of a number of factors.

Blame the growth of PCs and internet access in the average household. Blame the ever-changing, increasingly-youthful pc gamer demographic. These forums have certainly witnessed an influx of riff-raff that could easily be considered 'Quake-ish' (if one were making gross generalizations) that over-whelmed both the existing sensible members as well as those mods who wanted to support them.

There is hope.

Still, you will see flickers of the respectable, old school enthusiasm and maturity amongst the community if you squint closely. Follow the faint yet distinguishable scent of burning passion for the game and there you will find the editors. With their creative energy and love for the game they seem to me to be the best candidates to carry the torch and rekindle this community into the blazing pride fire it once was.

Mohc knows there are also pockets of mature Jedi Outcast gamers around us, but they have come to play and interact privately, having removed themselves from the spectacle of stupidity and immaturity that has infested traditional public forums and servers.

The Jedi Knight community was once an example of the one of the more mature, successful gaming communities on the web. Know this you must. Yet acknowledge I do that the community has been tumbling down into the sarlacc for a while now. Things often look as dark as the beast's foul belly.

Never forget though- we can always write our own ending. Boba fought his way out, after all. ;)

Even gamers in their twenties or something who should be more mature have this "Quake-head" syndrome. It is foolish to generalize that it is brought on by younger people, because it penetrates all of the ranks, no matter what the age. :)

Guest Krayt Tion

Aye, it is found in of people of all ages. However, it clearly affects one demographic more than another. That is the noticable distinction, and one worth pointing out.

If anything, it is foolish to say that because something occurs in multiple things you cannot determine which one it occurs in the most.

*psst*

Wanna try a mature community with a nifty server on a PHHat pipe? Stop on by http://www.ThePHHortress.com

Still, most folks I've met on the servers will be nice when you set the atmosphere yourself. I have keys bound to "Nice shot" and "Thank you" and ":-)" You can't imaging how doing something as little as acknowledging a good strike can improve the overall server morale.

So, ignore the flamers and lamers, and concentrate on the true sports!

Archived