Home

Attn: Heavy Stance Experts

Darth Kaan

Originally posted by Darth Kaan

Nuke,

I may be wrong as I am new to using Red stance too but Distance and timing is everything. I noticed to pull these moves off you have to be the right distance from the opponent and the timing has to be right.

If your close enough for them to block the first attack, the second move in a chained attack wont spin or turn. Especially the back + left or right movement.

When I time it right it works.

Kaan

That's not quite right, chaining the moves doesn't need an opponent close or even in the crosshair. I just tested it in a total empty server, no problem.

Oh by the way, I edited my post above and made it a little more clear and 100% sure that my directions are correct.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Twins of Doom

if you want help with the heavy stance you should do a search for [JHQ]Absolute0 because he can kick some major ass with the heavy stance

Yeah there are quite a few that kick ass with heavy stance, so far the best I have seen were DHU clan members and SWJ clan members.

Been waiting for AbsoluteO to finish his heavy stance guide. Is he still working on it?

Originally posted by Nuke

Kaan,

So you mean it workes in MP only with opponents? Anyhow, I think its a good idea to use it on opponents :-). Well in sp it worked (also whithout them). It looked great. But In MP I didn't figure out so far. But maybe those bots where not in the right place. I will continue ... Any hints are still very welcome.

Nuke

Yes sir, works great in mp.

If you can hookup with Bluezman on a server it would make learning it easier. :)

Kaan

to do spins in heavy stance you just do another move right afterwards that's a 40 degree angle difference (or less):p

basically

Diagonal + side + back diagonal

aka:

A + W + ATTACK, let go of W, then press S, that will do 2 spins

Twins, your post reminded me of another way to chain moves, but I am a little confused now. I always thought:

To chain red moves just turn 45 degrees or more between the moves.

Now is that contradicting you? Or is it even wrong? :confused:

Originally posted by Bluezman

Twins, your post reminded me of another way to chain moves, but I am a little confused now. I always thought:

To chain red moves just turn 45 degrees or more between the moves.

Now is that contradicting you? Or is it even wrong? :confused:

your is basically right i think.....it's something like that...

i know what to do but it's hard to explain:(

Originally posted by XERXES

what is the downside from usin red is there are some people that notice you are usin red and they wait. And EVERY time you swing they do a saber throw cause the swings in red are so long.

then you can do 2 things

a) get closer to them

b) change stance

c) don't play on FF servers with the heavy stance

wait? was that 2 or 3? i can't count;)

what is the downside from usin red is there are some people that notice you are usin red and they wait. And EVERY time you swing they do a saber throw cause the swings in red are so long.

You are right. Explaining how to use red stance well doesn't neccessarily include using it exclusively. I believe in unpredictability by using all stances. Still you want to use all stances well :D

Well I think using red, 1 shouldn't fight offensive. So if somebody waits for u, you should probably wait for him or switch to blue and play ultra offensive. A generell rule may be that u try to be 1 stance stronger (and slower) then your opponent: If he uses blue u use yelllow, if he uses yellow u use red. In case of him using red u use blue, fighting very offensive. The reason is that if he uses blueand u use red, you might be too slow to defend yourself. If he uses lets say yellow and you blue, he is still fast enough to defend and will do much more damage to you.

Well its not my idea, but it sounds a bit reasonable. What do u others think?

I've seen this stupid equation many times before: "Blue vs red vs yellow vs blue", and it's simply not true. You can't say that one stance is better than another in that sense.

Sure, for someone untrained, one stance might be better at defeating another stance, but it only takes practice until you can use every stance versus each other. Yes, I change stances based on my opponents stance, but I'm not BOUND to use blue if my foe uses red: I use whatever I deem necesarry at the moment. One second you might see me wield blue against red, the next second I'm using yellow or red against red.

This wasn't meant as a flame towards your post Nuke, and I'm starting to definately agree with the idea that red isn't the wise choice for offense.

Originally posted by cjais

I've seen this stupid equation many times before: "Blue vs red vs yellow vs blue", and it's simply not true. You can't say that one stance is better than another in that sense.

Sure, for someone untrained, one stance might be better at defeating another stance, but it only takes practice until you can use every stance versus each other. Yes, I change stances based on my opponents stance, but I'm not BOUND to use blue if my foe uses red: I use whatever I deem necesarry at the moment. One second you might see me wield blue against red, the next second I'm using yellow or red against red.

This wasn't meant as a flame towards your post Nuke, and I'm starting to definately agree with the idea that red isn't the wise choice for offense.

i aggree, if my opponent uses heavy stance i'll use whatever the hell i feel i want to do

Cjais,

thanks for your opinion. But, please don't be too irritated to read this type of assumptions here. I think its still usefull to discuss it.

Maybe its a bit too simple to be whole truth. Its probably only a rule of thumb for not so experienced sabersists. I am not even sure about this. But since you said this rule holds for them, it can't be too stupid. I don't want to start a holy war on that.

But I am definitly sure, that a truly good saberist can use any stance he likes to cut you in slices. I met one yesterday, but he didn't slice me though. He told me how to do the 3 move combo.

I found out that the 3 move combo doesnt work with 1.02, which was the patch level on the machine I tried the other day.

Nuke

Well I think using red, 1 shouldn't fight offensive. So if somebody waits for u, you should probably wait for him or switch to blue and play ultra offensive. A generell rule may be that u try to be 1 stance stronger (and slower) then your opponent: If he uses blue u use yelllow, if he uses yellow u use red. In case of him using red u use blue, fighting very offensive. The reason is that if he uses blueand u use red, you might be too slow to defend yourself. If he uses lets say yellow and you blue, he is still fast enough to defend and will do much more damage to you.

Well its not my idea, but it sounds a bit reasonable. What do u others think?

Good idea. Plus if you are one stance stronger, you have bigger chances of breaking his defenses. As for blue beating red, you can close in when he's in the middle of his swing and get in one or two quick hits, then retreat.

However, you can still beat red with red I think with good timing. But it is still a good thumb rule...

BTW, Nuke: it was fun yesterday. I just realised that we never even fought against each other!!! We should do that sometime... :)

But I am definitly sure, that a truly good saberist can use any stance he likes to cut you in slices. I met one yesterday, but he didn't slice me though. He told me how to do the 3 move combo.

Nuke

I take it you are talking about me, Nuke (unless there was someone else who taught you the combo besides me yesterday) :D

So, first thing: I DID slice you! :D LOL accidentally when I was demonstrating you :rolleyess ;)

Second thing: we didn't even fight, did we? :)

We should do a nice duel some day... From what I saw you are a good fighter, we sure would have some tense duels... :) Then we'll see who slices who :D :D ;)

Originally posted by Darth Kaan

Anyone else have any constructive info for the Red stance?

Practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more. Practice by yourself and work out the timing for the combos and see what swings you can chain together. Once you've found a chainable combo practice it repeatedly. You don't need an opponent to do this, in fact, IMHO for practice purposes an opponent takes the focus away from practicing the moves. There are two kinds of timing that need to be

mastered in order to be effective with the strong stance, timing for your combos and timing when you attack your opponent. The first needs to be practiced alone and the second can be practiced against an opponent.

--poomba

Thanks for that advise Poomba. I have learned a lot about the red stance in the past week from this forum and from some great red stancers online. Before then I never used it. I am really starting to like it and am planning to write a Red Stance guide as soon as I am as proficient with it as I am in Blue and yellow stance.

Kaan

but the main thing about red stance is timing. You gotta plan your swings to they will nail your oponent. I find the best thing is to wait for them to do something then move in with one of those horozontal 180degree swings.

but the main thing about red stance is timing. You gotta plan your swings to they will nail your oponent. I find the best thing is to wait for them to do something then move in with one of those horozontal 180degree swings.

ya, planning ahead is very important in heavy stance;)

i have a clan member...all he does is the strafe attack on heavy stance...and he kicks everybody's ass, lol (except me:P)

ya, planning ahead is very important in heavy stance;)

i have a clan member...all he does is the strafe attack on heavy stance...and he kicks everybody's ass, lol (except me:P)

I seriousely doubt that.

Archived