Home

A Republic Gunship we can all live with!

Darth Windu

Which would you prefer for the Republic Gunship in SW:GB?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer for the Republic Gunship in SW:GB?

• Gunship as the 2nd Republic unique unit
    • Gunship as a toybox unit
    • Gunship as a cheat unit
    • I don\'t want the Gunship at all

what i said would improve the game not just for one civ but all of them and in it there is a gunship i was 100 % serious how about you give us your suggestions instead of complaining and insulting there is no need to be insulting Do You have any better ideas

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've numerous good ideas, many of which have been stated through various posts over the past several months. As for your ideas, I didn't have a problem with all of them, just some of them. Specifically those that called for a dramatic power boost in the form of a modified or completely new unit. For example, I have a problem with the boost that would make troopers do triple damage to mechs. Grenaders already do quite a bit of damage to mechs, and they should be the only ones that do. Mechs are supposed be more powerful than troopers, but how can they be more powerful if repeater troopers suddenly dish out 3 times the damage against them. Heck, this would fundamentally make strike mechs worthless.

Kryllith

i didn't say anything about boosting repeater trooper attack mechs would be strengthened besides how many people use strike mechs when they can use assault mechs or aircraft the strike mech is rarely used and grenade troopers are nearly never used giving the republic an extra unique unit would be unfair so what i suggested was giving all of them extra unique units to balance it out and make it more realistic because isn't the gunship what you all want well my idea put's it in and keeps the game balanced and for the fierce defence i meant it makes troopers more powerful and makes worker attack similar to that of tropers you know like in AoC the spanish supremacy technology it's similar to that.

Hmmm, ok, you specified that it be Gungan specific, but it's still in there:

"the gungans should also get a trooper bonus against mechs and should have a unique technology of Bubble Wart Projectiles tripiling damgae done by all units to anything mechanical"

But instead of just the troopers getting the triple damage bonus against mechs, it's everything that have getting the damage bonus against mechs. I could see this if the current gungan attack power is downgraded significantly, but not otherwise. The Gungans can already hold their own against the other civs, and they already have a unique bonus by using organics, that of being able to heal everything but mechs and artillery. And yes, I know the idea was to generate major differences between the civs to make them fundamentally different, but it can be done by tweeking what they've already have a bit more, rather than adding superpowers...

Kryllith

Originally posted by DK_Viceroy

i didn't say anything about boosting repeater trooper attack mechs would be strengthened besides how many people use strike mechs when they can use assault mechs or aircraft the strike mech is rarely used and grenade troopers are nearly never used

trying to decipher the viceroyian... okay, u think Strike mechs are useless? And Assault mechs are great? I think you have it backwards. Assault mechs are easily countered and expensive. Strike mechs are fast and cheap. Grenade troopers? Very good if someone is trying to remove your base with cannons, and also good against the morons who just mass Assault mechs (might be good against you from what you posted). I guess I can safely assume you do not play RM MP.

giving the republic an extra unique unit would be unfair so what i suggested was giving all of them extra unique units to balance it out and make it more realistic because isn't the gunship what you all want well my idea put's it in and keeps the game balanced

I really hope you're joking. keep the game balanced? Omg this is too funny! Half your ideas made a complete mockery of game balance. Let's see, rebel laser troops with 100+ hp's, a superfast wookiee logskimmer that carries 20 units, and a ton of overpowered aircrusier ideas, and you claim to be attempting to preserve game balance? Give me a break.

And the gunship UU is hardly what "we all want", it is what a few people want, if you look at the poll. 90% of your ideas, though, make the gunship UU look good by comparison.

Damn you simwiz, I was going to say that! Oh, well, atleast we still have windu to mock.

Ummm, dk, common sense doesnt say lets mangle a perfectly balanced game. Most, if not all, of your ideas would horribly throw off game balance. It's not that im against changing the game, its just that your ideas were so OT and so lacking any clear sense that I was shocked.

sithmaster - by 'negotiate' i was referring to one of your previous comments that indicated you would support changing the Gunship to represent its abilitesi better, as a cheat unit i believe.

It was a toybox unit, and i gave up saying that after 10 or 11 posts. It doesnt mean Im willing to negotiate, it means I think your idea doesnt fit in the actual game, especially not as a UU

simwiz - i have never said i wanted the air cruiser's stats changed, and i dont. The only thing i want changed is the art used for them, so that, for example, the empire air cruiser would be the Star Destroyer.

Were you dropped on your head at birth? Are you unaware of whats going on around you? Simwiz was responding to the kid who barged into this thread babbling about game ideas that make your gunship look moderately intelligent.

Originally posted by simwiz2

14 - Sorry, but we DON'T NEED ANY MORE OVERPOWERED AIR CRUSIER SUGGESTIONS ON THIS BOARD. I have already seen enough of those from Windu.

sithmaster - that is the post i was replying to. Also, in response to your comment about mangeling a perfectly balanced game. Instead of changing the game, lucasarts should leave it as it is, BUT should include many of the proposed changes in the threads such as 'community idea's for a possible SW:GB 2' into a new game. That way the new units/civs would be able to balanced from the start.

Omg, omg, omg.

Whoever this viceroy person is, seriously, i hope you were joking!

Those are the stupidest ideas I have ever seen. I think sithmaster is right- are you just some kid with his own crazy ideas about a game that you know nothing about?

I thought I was king of insanity, but this guy takes the cake. And eats it.

Mmm... cake... I found a cake in a box the other day. And my friend took a photo of it. :confused:

Uhh... anyway...

Wait a minute! Viceroy isn't insane, he's just stupid!

No offense, but you have to be joking. Superfast transports!? 100+ hp troops!? Triple damage bonus vs mechs!? TIE advanced for the Empire!? Artisans!? Air cruisers with MULTIPLE gun emplacements!?

Simwiz, your aid is needed in another thread... I think it's "ideas for SW:GB 2"... Viceroy has come barging in there as well and posted another bunch of pathetically unbalancing and just plain stupid ideas. As the only person who can translate that jumble of words and crazy ideas that is Viceroyian, I think everybody needs you!

Kryllith... i thought you were an intelligent, sane, sentient being, but your support of (the clearly insane) Viceroy proves me wrong. Tis sad, so sad...

Your idea is even worse than his. ALL gungan units get a triple damage bonus vs mechs? Great! Assault mechs will be wiping out hordes of Mech Destroyers, troopers will be knocking down assault mechs as quick as they come, artillery will be killing strike mechs... even fighters will be able to do a quick pass and kill bunches of Mechs.

Don't fall to the darkside! Join us in our wholehearted rejection of the monster of stupidity that is the Viceroyian ideas!

sithmaster - he probably was referring to my gunship idea, i just posted that quote in response to your post saying that simwiz wasnt talking to me.

corran - cool it with the insults. Sure, the majority of viceroy's idea's would never work and would unbalanced the game, but you do not need to insult a person in order to get your point accross.

Hear hear.

I'm tired of the lack of common civility on these boards. Everyone's reactions to each other are insults or put downs. What kind of a discussion reply is "You're stupid" or "that's a dumb idea"? Come up with decent, thought-out responses to something you feel like responding to or don't post....that goes for everyone.

Mmm. Sorry people. I was just stunned and I don't think my point's going to get across anyway.

To respond with a properly thought out response to Viceroy's original post...

1. Empire has TIE advanced, Jedi mind readers and Nebulon B/Star Destroyer- TIE advanced fighters work well as a toybox unit, if put in the game they would have to be changed from the toybox and as such wouldn't reflect their true abilities. Anti stealth technology- this could possibly work, but very few units use stealth and as such this tech wouldn't be useful against any but a select few, and would completely rock against the select few. But you could just build a couple of Sentry Posts or use scouts if you're so concerned about cloaked units. Nebulon B cruisers are used by the Rebels and the topic of SD's has been brought up elsewhere, my personal opinion is that SD's would be out of scale and look fairly stupid.

2. Rebels have B-Wings, reduced trooper costs and Undying Faith- B-Wings would work really well with the proposed Mon Cal civ, but as a part of the rebels, the same deal applies (you couldn't use the toybox and another version wouldn't reflect its abilities). Troopers are very cheap already, Rebels already have increased trooper HP and an attack increase would overpower them.

3. Wookies lose air shields, have a tree skimmer and Fierce Defence- Why should they lose air shields? This wouldn't fit with the SW universe and would underpower their air, which is supposed to be their strong point. Wait, though, the tree skimmer will completely overpower their air. Imagine hordes of Wookie Repeater troopers being transported from one side of the map to the other quick as a flash, then disgorged inside the enemy base because the treeskimmers are strong enough to withstand AA fire? Wouldn't work. The 'Fierce Defence' is confusing, nobody really uses workers in attacks anyway, but you could sort of duplicate Genosian Diligince if you want to buff Wookie workers.

4. Naboo get artisans and a Royal Defender- Artisans combined with that Research Center tech (forgot its name) would give Naboo workers a remarkably overpowered build time. You could just roll them up outside the enemy base, pop up a turret, pop them inside the turret, and kill all enemies that leave the base!

The Royal Defender is overpowered too. If it couldn't carry units the cost decrease makes sense, but making it stronger is overpowering. Also, how does this represent the Naboo civ in terms of being its 'unique unit?' The term Unique suggests it is unlike any other unit, but this is just a weird Assault Mech with nothing to do with the Naboo.

5. Gungans have a Falumpaset transport, trooper bonus vs. mechs, and Bubble Wart Projectiles-Falumpaset sounds like a ground Treeskimmer, i've already discussed that. Repeater troopers would drop mechs like flies with this upgrade. Did you fail to notice that 90% of everything in the game is "mechanical?" This is basically everything other than troopers.

6. Republic lose some aircraft upgrades, have Genetic Enhancement and a weird gunship- Why should everything be exactly the same as the films? Gameplay>realism. 50% more accuracy? Most things are very accurate already, this is not needed. Your gunship idea actually doesn't fit with the movie, and is pretty weird- 5 assault mechs should take up a bit more space than 10 troopers!

7. Confederacy has Genosian Intuition, huge fighter bonuses, and another treeskimmer clone- Genosians don't have any Intuition, so this isn't movie-based, and is very unbalancing. Not a single miss? The advantages may seem small at first (there aren't that many misses anyway) but will add up over time. They are designed not to have very good aircraft, these bonuses will overpower their air. The treeskimmer... i've said it before, and have no wish to say it again.

As Sithmaster said, this is not common sense. These might be fun, in a weird kind of way, but would mess up a great game.

Sorry about the earlier insults.

Now... umm... everybody is talking about Viceroy, so there's nothing else to post. darn.

Originally posted by CorranSec

Omg, omg, omg.

Kryllith... i thought you were an intelligent, sane, sentient being, but your support of (the clearly insane) Viceroy proves me wrong. Tis sad, so sad...

Your idea is even worse than his. ALL gungan units get a triple damage bonus vs mechs? Great! Assault mechs will be wiping out hordes of Mech Destroyers, troopers will be knocking down assault mechs as quick as they come, artillery will be killing strike mechs... even fighters will be able to do a quick pass and kill bunches of Mechs.

Laugh! That IS his idea, I just reposted so I could point out specifically what I was arguing against. ;) Trust me; I would never want to impliment an idea that would throw the game out of balance the way that would. Heck, I wouldn't want something that would throw the game out of balance at all (which is why when I DO suggest something that might cause a shift in power, I also suggest various means of compensating against the shift. :))

Kryllith

Well the gunship should be the 2nd republic unique unit, being able to carry 2 infantry units, plus a good all-round ground attack. To partially compensate the reoublic transport should change to the gunship transport seen dropping off an AT-TE with its transport ability reduced from 5 to 4 or 3.

guys have you seen the movies in episode 2 do you see sheilds on republic fighters we've seen what sheilds look like when fired on re ep 1 in tf droid control ship we didn't see that in game if your giving an additional unique unit you should give one to the others and we've all seen tie avenger that should be in too end of republic campaign you see an air base looking like it makes tie avengers they are class they shouyld be in and for empire air cruisers Nebulon B's were developed by the Empire the rebels captured some of them they didn't capture all of them and a nebulon b for an empire air cruiser looks better thatn their bus with wings and what i said for naboo would make them more popular they are patehtic when it comes to ground forces you can't have an army of jedi knights and masters unless you are on a tech 4 death match because they are very expensive or you've been playing for hours which either way takes ages i think jcb 231 was the only one who has a bit of sense in here have you seen ep 1 the bit in the battle between gungans and tf one booma killed an att in ep 2 the geonosian fighters were increadibly accurate and did i not mention for the accuracy increasing the firepower would decrease and i am not new to this game i've had it since it was released i was the frst person i my area to buy the game and it's expansion pack know what your talking about when you insult people everyones entitled to ideas but i havent seen any one elses if your gonna dump on my ideas put your own on as well or are you lot afraid that we'll dump on them eh

Do or Do not there is no try

guys have you seen the movies in episode 2 do you see sheilds on republic fighters we've seen what sheilds look like when fired on

I agree here; the republic fighters (or gunships as used in the game) shouldn't have shields. But on the same token, they probably should be able to carry troops too. If the gunship were made as an individual unit, hopefully it wouldn't have shields...

if your giving an additional unique unit you should give one to the others

This is unnecessary. As it is, the civilizations aren't balanced in the unique units, nor do they need to be. Balancing can be done without adding an equal amount of unique units to each civ. (Personally, I wouldn't MIND more unique units for each civ since it adds diversity, but it's hardly required).

have you seen ep 1 the bit in the battle between gungans and tf one booma killed an att

Which booma exactly? Are you talking about the large booma that fell out of the trailer. If so, that was an artillery booma, and artillery already do decent damage to mechs. Or are you talking about the one Jar Jar fumbled into the AAT? If so, I don't know what the heck happened there. My only guess would be that either the droid was controlling the AAT with it's feet or the charge of the booma traveled down the gunner droid to either the pilot droid or the controls. *shrugs* Either way, it's a one in a million shot. By that logic the jedis should be able to kill AT-ATs in one shot by using thermal detonators and X-Wings should obliterate anything they face (after all, it only took a single shot to destroy the Death Star).

know what your talking about when you insult people everyones entitled to ideas but i havent seen any one elses if your gonna dump on my ideas put your own on as well or are you lot afraid that we'll dump on them eh

I don't insult people, but I will tear apart ideas presented. If you can't stand criticism then you probably shouldn't post your ideas. As for my ideas, they are strewn throughout. If you want to attack them, be my guest, but I'm not going to bother gathering them all up just to post them in this board.

Kryllith

Do or Do not there is no try [/b]

guys have you seen the movies in episode 2 do you see sheilds on republic fighters we've seen what sheilds look like when fired on

I agree here; the republic fighters (or gunships as used in the game) shouldn't have shields. But on the same token, they probably should be able to carry troops too. If the gunship were made as an individual unit, hopefully it wouldn't have shields. Of course, if the gunship IS made a seperate unit and a new ship is presented for the Republic fighter, then it could possibly have shields...

if your giving an additional unique unit you should give one to the others

This is unnecessary. As it is, the civilizations aren't balanced in the unique units, nor do they need to be. Balancing can be done without adding an equal amount of unique units to each civ. (Personally, I wouldn't MIND more unique units for each civ since it adds diversity, but it's hardly required).

have you seen ep 1 the bit in the battle between gungans and tf one booma killed an att

Which booma exactly? Are you talking about the large booma that fell out of the trailer. If so, that was an artillery booma, and artillery already do decent damage to mechs. Or are you talking about the one Jar Jar fumbled into the AAT? If so, I don't know what the heck happened there. My only guess would be that either the droid was controlling the AAT with it's feet or the charge of the booma traveled down the gunner droid to either the pilot droid or the controls. *shrugs* Either way, it's a one in a million shot. By that logic the jedis should be able to kill AT-ATs in one shot by using thermal detonators and X-Wings should obliterate anything they face (after all, it only took a single shot to destroy the Death Star).

know what your talking about when you insult people everyones entitled to ideas but i havent seen any one elses if your gonna dump on my ideas put your own on as well or are you lot afraid that we'll dump on them eh

I don't insult people, but I will tear apart ideas presented. If you can't stand criticism then you probably shouldn't post your ideas. As for my ideas, they are strewn throughout. If you want to attack them, be my guest, but I'm not going to bother gathering them all up just to post them in this board.

Kryllith

Archived