Home

A Republic Gunship we can all live with!

Darth Windu

Which would you prefer for the Republic Gunship in SW:GB?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer for the Republic Gunship in SW:GB?

• Gunship as the 2nd Republic unique unit
    • Gunship as a toybox unit
    • Gunship as a cheat unit
    • I don\'t want the Gunship at all

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Darth Windu

Sithmaster, Simwiz - i have a question for both of you. Assuming that lucasarts creates a SW:GB 2, and that they could give the Gunship similar abilities to the movie version, and they could balance it, would you support it or want it as a Republic UU?

The current game has universal units (right now all civs have generally the same trooper line, fighter line, etc) with the only difference being UU's and upgrades/unique techs. If LucasArts creates GB2 and it has all different units for every civ, then the Gunship could fit. The Republic might not even have any other fighter at all (its "fighter" would be the Gunship, probably stronger but slower), and units in general would be a lot closer to what was seen in the movies. If they decided to use that system and balanced it successfully (as in some C&C games) then I would be perfectly fine with it. A Gunship unit would be a nice thing for the republic to have in GB2, but in the current game it does not fit as a UU.

I entered a vote of "no gunship" not because I don't want the gunship; in truth I don't care, but out of spite. How scientific is your poll now?

Really the only reason I wrote in is to clear up the vocabulary regarding pointless polls:

Majority requires over 50% of the vote. You do not have a majority. You have a PLURALITY. Plurality is when you have more votes than the others, which when given more than 2 choices is not necessarily over 50%, and thus not necessarily a majority.

According to Webster, majority is "a number greater than half of a total."

Plurality according to Webster is "a number of votes cast for a candidate in a contest of more than two candidates that is greater than the number cast for any other candidate but not more than half the total votes cast".

Simple majority and Absolute majority are sometimes used when describing governmental rules of procedure, but have no application in everyday life.

And GUESS WHAT?!? Your pining for your stupid gunship falls under the category of everyday life.

I'm going to ignore the fact that you insulted my considerable intelligence, coz brains ain't got nothin to do with facts, and here you see facts.

Worf: Thank you for explaining to the demented Windu that he does not have a majority. I tried to do that awhile ago but he wouldn't listen to me...

Windu: There you go again, misunderstanding others' posts. All I ever said was that if they used a certain system (non-generic units) it would fit better. For all I know they might use the same system they used in this game, especially if they use the RoN engine.

Worf - you should be a comedian, with an IQ of -2 and comments like '...my considerable intelligence' all you'd need to do is walk on stage and the audience would start laughing.

simwiz - even if they do use RoN, each civ has at least 4 unique units, and im sure the gunship would be in there.

(1) Worf - you should be a comedian, with an IQ of -2 and comments like '...my considerable intelligence' all you'd need to do is walk on stage and the audience would start laughing.

(2) simwiz - even if they do use RoN, each civ has at least 4 unique units, and im sure the gunship would be in there.

1 - HAH! Oh, this is too funny! You're a great one to talk about intelligence, aren't you, Windu. I haven't seen a single thread started by you that wasn't whining about how you killed your own units out of stupidity or you want to merge units and civs to make the game simpler or you want AAM's to fire at ground because you don't know how to correctly group your units or you want a super-unit to beat the AI with. Your posts have shown to me (and Sith, and I assume others) that you have the IQ of a dead fish.

2 - The RoN engine is still generic units with some UU's. And in a generic unit system, it is likely the Gunship would be the fighter, because that is how they were used.

simwiz - all of my suggestions have been in the spirit of experimentation to improve the game. If it doesnt work or people dont like it, take it out. Personally i dont see the point of sticking to the exact same things all the time, there needs to be change.

with the Gunship - IT WAS NOT USED AS A FIGHTER!!!!!!!!! The Republic Gunship was used as an Attack/Assault Helicopter very similar to the configuration and role of the Soviet/Russian Mil Mi-24 'Hind'. I suggest you look it up and have a quick read about it, maybe then you will see why the gunship isnt a fighter.

[Worf - you should be a comedian, with an IQ of -2 and comments like '...my considerable intelligence' all you'd need to do is walk on stage and the audience would start laughing.]

Well, I guess you told me. I see it your way now. Thank you for explaining to me the error of my ways.

"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"

[simwiz - all of my suggestions have been in the spirit of experimentation to improve the game.]

A curious statement. I wonder: how does your comment at the top of this reply qualify as a suggested experiment to improve the game? With my puny :bdroid1: brain I have a hard time seeing how making such troll-like :evanpiel: digs has anything to do with the all-mighty Gunship. :bored:

Worf - you should be a comedian, with an IQ of -2 and comments like '...my considerable intelligence' all you'd need to do is walk on stage and the audience would start laughing.

You look like a complete idiot Windu. All he did was disagree with the facts. He might have been wrong. That gave you no right to call him a retarded midget. How the hell do you know his IQ anyway?

I'm wouldnt be suprized if your unemployment checks are the only thing that keeps you having a internet connection to whine about this :rolleyes:

Do you and us all a favor and go back to getting your butt kicked at pong:D

And I am proboly being Hypocriticle,but who gives a damn?

The reason i had a go at worf is because of the comments about voting 'no' to the gunship out of spite. That annoys me because this poll was posted to measure the amount of community interest in a Gunship that would reflect its abilities better than the current version, and here we have someone trying to stuff it up. If worf had voted no because they dont want the gunship changed, that would've been fine, but that isnt the case.

Windu - when you attempt to insult someone after they have proven you wrong it makes you look stupid. You didn't argue with his definitions, which I am assuming means you have openend up a dictionary and checked, and realized your errors. Or you just realized that you are wrong. But then you call him stupid after he has just proven your stupid majority rants wrong. Who does that make look stupid, Windu? When I saw your post I just started laughing. At you. When people insult you Windu, they ususally have a point or a reason. Every time I call you a moron, it is because what you have posted makes me lose confidence in general human intelligence. Here, you throw pointless insults (that you probably only know because someone used them on you) at someone who is clearly a lot smarter than you. It makes you look like a three year old.

As for the fighter thing, they don't need to have exact parallels. Sure it is big and has a lot of firepower but it was what the republic used closest to a fighter. Do you have a better unit for fighter? And for the sake of the intelligence of all who read your posts, do not say the starfighter.

About the poll, maybe he was tired of seeing so many damn gunship threads? Maybe he has a strong dislike for you? Who knows? I was thinking about voting no out of you being stupid and posting so many threads about it, but I voted toybox because it makes the most sense IMO.

Ok my 2 cents the gunship should be a modified transport ship with high attack and defense it should be strong against AA assults but sinsitive to fighters attacks. IT should have air-to- air capabilities but it should not be very effectve, and strong air-to-surface weapons. The Gunship should be able to carry 1 mech or hvy weapon or 5 troopers.:fett:

simwiz - i dont give a stuff what you, or anyone else here thinks of me. This thread was opened to measure the amount of community support for an altered gunship, and yes, i get rather annoyed when an idiot such as worf decides to be a smart-arse by stuffing the poll.

Getting back to the gunship the jedi starfighter is by far more like a normal fighter than the gunship is, but as i have said before, i do not want to start a gunship vs starfighter debate, as i think they should both be republic unique units. This is why i have suggested that lucasarts wait for ep3 beforeing doing a SW:GB 2 as a republic fighter may appear.

Guest DarthMaulUK

I will close it.

People are entitled to their views and mocking their views in certain ways will not be allowed.

I have already posted in the Poll thread that there won't be a Gunship Poll as it will only attract a handful of voters - as the original Poll for this did.

DMUK

well as i stated before i got annoyed because there was a vote placed that was not done because of what that person believed, but just to try to make a point, or some other reason. If they had voted for whatever option because they wanted it, fine. If they decided to oppose my idea's, fine. But rigging a vote i will not accept.

Getting back to the point, has anyone actually checked out the Mi-24 to see what i'm talking about? If you havent, you should, it is what the gunship was based on, and i think that the gunship should be able to reflect some of these qualities.

eizo - i disagree. In my opinion, the gunship should only carry 2 or 3 infantry, while the Republic transport should be modified to the one shown in ep2 (carrying the AT-TE) with that only being able to carry 2 or 3 mechs, but greater speed and/or hitpoints.

In my opinion, the gunship should only carry 2 or 3 infantry, while the Republic transport should be modified to the one shown in ep2 (carrying the AT-TE) with that only being able to carry 2 or 3 mechs, but greater speed and/or hitpoints.

Yeah, I pretty much made this argument from the start. If they gunship does gain transports capabilities it should be limited to small units (troopers, jedi, medics, and workers) and limited in carrying capacity. The other transport should also be limited to larger units and limited in carrying capacity (like the mechdropper in the movie). This would provide a decent penalty for having two air transports, especially when one has offensive capabilities, because it requires balancing the creation of ships in order to transport a variety of ground forces.

Kryllith

I happen not to give two craps whether they ever include the gunship in the game. The Republic already has the Starfighter and powerful jedi and can crank out 40 troops per minute PER TROOP CENTER and a bunch of powerful unique upgrades. Another unit is the last thing they need. If anything they should take out the air transport, make this a slower, more powerful version of the fighter and carry 3 units. BUT since the AoK engine has generic units for these guys... no gunship.

Whatever the case, you need to realize, Windu, that some two dozen people out of the thousands who browse this website, the millions who play the game, and the billions who live on earth, think your post is worth spending 5 seconds responding to. Polls are conducted using larger samples, scientifically administered, and calculate their margin of error. Your poll is anemic at best, totally unrepresentative of any practical scientific application, and on top of that, utterly worthless.

Archived