Home

Thanks Alot To Whiners

Twins of Doom

The fact is, 1.02 was perfect. All the noobs played 1.02, and bitched because they got sliced by DFA. Then they nerfed it and the same people bitched about the backstab. Now, expect the same people to bitch about kicking.

actually...there were serious bugs in 1.02

for example DFA could hit and kill you while their saber was buried in the ground, it shouldn't kill you then, because its not even moving!

and heavy stance moves could hit you when you were really far away where they shouldn't have hit you

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only answer for this patch is for all of us server admins to install MODS that increase saber damage back to a normal level. Don't quit the game just yet. There were a few good MODS that will become more popular now once they are ported over to the new patch version.

Originally posted by crazyplaya73

The only answer for this patch is for all of us server admins to install MODS that increase saber damage back to a normal level. Don't quit the game just yet. There were a few good MODS that will become more popular now once they are ported over to the new patch version.

you overestimate the power of lucasforums and overestimate the power of mods

not everybody goes to lucasforums

if you say anything like DFA on a server, at least 5 people will say "huh?"

and not everybody is going to use mods no matter how hard you try to get them to

Twins, You can express your opinion all you want but don't but down people for their opinions.

who was i putting down? i remember people trying to put me down....i remember being called a lamer....

What is wrong with 1.02? Because every attack has a counter.

Ex.

If someone is complaining about backstab spammers then use Absorb or if they are force pull/backstab spammers use drain.

I really don't see why the 1.03, 1.04 and so on and so forth are even necessary. I know they are made to fix bugs like the slow-fall jump. But I actually like that move. I'm not gonna get 1.04 to have Raven take that away from me.

I'm glad the servers I play on still use 1.02 because I am accustomed to it. I really see no need for change, IMO.

If don't see why Raven creates a patch to try and eliminate they amount of damage caused by spamful moves like DFA and and the Heavy BS, that is just unnecessary. And to all you complainers out there that talk **** to me: "LEARN THE COUNTERS COMPLAMERS!" I'm getting sick and tired of people telling me, "You Cheat!" Nooo, you just suck, I reply. And then there are those that have the nerve to tell my, "You must use a Script!?!?!" Once again, no, sorry, I don't USE a script against other Humanoids.

Let me twist your noggins by quoting thyself...

"I Script because I can, You Script because you can't."

Which in essence to me means... I taught myself how to script to know how. Others script because they want to try and get an advantage which in effect can be even more idiotic because a well diversed saberist can be more deadly playing manually without the use of scripts.

I'm not saying all scripts are bad. The color changing sabers and model switching to hot keys are okay. So is scripting a hot key for walk. It's just those lame-asses that use scripts to spin around like a helicopter and the ones that are to lazy to figure out how simple it is to do the 1-hit kill moves.... On 1.02 ;)

I'm not condomning spammers BTW. I started my own Klan called DVS, Deadly Versatile Saberists. Deadly, because it just sounds cool. Versatile, because I switch in between all stances.

What I really hate is Heavy Stance Whores. Here is why. I don't really play to win. If I wanted to I could do the common run of the mill: red stance, pull, backsweep= 85 kills in 19mins... been there, did that. Or look like an idiot DFA'ing every move. Imagine if there was a Jedi or Sith in Episode III who did nothing but DFA in a duel or free for all!! That would look just as lame as they DFA Whores, if not lamer! I'd probably doze-off from being so uniterested in the battle. ::yawns:: I think more people should concern themselves with looking good (style) then winning (looking like an ass), heh. But thats just me.

{DVS}DeViaNt

"Why be Solo? When you can be DVS!"

(There is an inside joke in that quote relating to this pubie my word for newbie) clan that everone ends their name in, "Solo.")

Master Jaina Solo, (Leader of the Solos)

The offer still stands. If you want to DeV's, {DVS}Bitch, just let me know.

;^)

Originally posted by AbaJaBart

Darth Sebbo was talking in general he didn't say "Twins you suck"

wanna bet?

@EvilTwin ... if you really fought honorable, its hard to believe that you liked 1.03 ... 1.02 was really ok ... and so will be 1.04

lets break this down

EvilTwin (already trying to put me down)

... if you really fought honorable (trying to tell me i don't fight honourable

and that lamer comment, sure sounded a lot like it was directed to me

I'm talking about server side only MODS that give you more variables to adjust. The clients don't have to install anything. Some servers have been running them for a while and we haven't seen a drop off in activity on our servers. I saw more of a drop off when I started using new maps.

"I'm disappointed because one of my favorites, the air lunge, was taken out. I don't understand the concept behind this. Who cares if someone can jump from a high ledge and float to the ground??? How does that at all effect the outcomes of duels or battles? Ridiculous."

Lamest arguement ever :) It was a bug, never intended to be in the game. If they wanted you to jump from way up high, and land without a scratch then they wouldn't of put in fall damage in the first place.

Darn, you have to be careful now where you jump on narshadda.... whoopie?

"actually...there were serious bugs in 1.02

for example DFA could hit and kill you while their saber was buried in the ground, it shouldn't kill you then, because its not even moving!"

Sounds very similiar to the backstab "bug" where you could spin around after the moves animation is complete, and still deal insane damage.

On a side note, that bug you're talking about is actually still there on DFA. The only difference is you can't rotate DFA anymore so you're less likely to trip over it unless you're just not being careful.

I had a guy backstab me and do 24 damage to me :) What's even funnier is it was the light stance backstab and I was in front of him (and no, not lag) :) Glad to see they didn't fix hit detection, but slapped a nice big nerf on backstab damage.

Blank

Sounds very similiar to the backstab "bug" where you could spin around after the moves animation is complete, and still deal insane damage.

i never said i liked that bug, in fact i had an arguement with somebody today because a clan wanted to play JHQ

i said we would leave if we saw the blender

he kept trying to tell me that he fought honourably and that it wasn't cheap and did the same damage

i tried to tell him that there were NO EXCEPTIONS but no....

Originally posted by Blank1234

Lamest arguement ever :) It was a bug, never intended to be in the game. If they wanted you to jump from way up high, and land without a scratch then they wouldn't of put in fall damage in the first place.

you misunderstood my agrument. Taking the floating out does not bother me. one of my favorite moves was to flip backwards and then come back with air lunge. That's no longer possible, and that sucks.

Originally posted by its420onthedot

you misunderstood my agrument. Taking the floating out does not bother me. one of my favorite moves was to flip backwards and then come back with air lunge. That's no longer possible, and that sucks.

ya, i miss doing that too....they didn't have to take out mid air lunges, just make it so that you fall just as fast......

Hey Twins, I don't know if you heard this, but on the valley board someone mentioned the variable g_saberDamageScale x helps a lot. He said that the default, wimpy settings were 1, but if you set it to 3, it makes things better. Ask Leelink to see if it exists and to try it. It sounds promising, don't you think?

slacker

P.S. Is your site down right now?

Originally posted by MediocreSlacker

Hey Twins, I don't know if you heard this, but on the valley board someone mentioned the variable g_saberDamageScale x helps a lot. He said that the default, wimpy settings were 1, but if you set it to 3, it makes things better. Ask Leelink to see if it exists and to try it. It sounds promising, don't you think?

slacker

P.S. Is your site down right now?

i'll have to check it out......and i've decided that i like 1.04 on Duels and duels only

and YES my site is down:(

RoboTeddy's computer must be off, or maybe he is doing a major upgrade, or maybe his cable modem is broken....again.............

Originally posted by crazyplaya73

I have g_saberDamageScale 2 on my patched server right now and it does help. I was taking down bots with one good heavy swing. Too bad I didn't have any real people to test it with.

taking people out with one hit on heavy stance is too much......

[JHQ]Twins of Doom I see exactly where you are coming from.

As one of the loudest "Adapt and learn" voices on these forums, for those of you who are happy with this patch or are flaming [JHQ]Twins of Doom please take a second to read this.

The point he (I think) is trying to make is not that his one and only means for winning got taken away.

The actual point is, after two patches, the continued weakening of saber combat has made it not only boring, but for those of us who seek not to "rack up kills" but to constantly practice and "perfect our game" this continued "Nerfing" is making saber combat more like running around in the old DOOM game having "fist fights" rather than a test of skills between two seasoned opponents.

In v1.02 and v1.03 you could pull of some incredibly complex and devastating combos. I'm not talking about simple stuff like the pull/back sweep, I mean combos that required practice and a detailed knowledge of the game and it's mechanics to pull off.

Now, once again the special moves have been reduced to a point where it pays off more to simply run directly at your opponent and flail away.

It is not just duels either.

I really feel sorry for the Jedi in Jedi VS Merc servers.

CTF?

If you don't shoot them, you can't kill them.

Period.

I agree that the spin in the backstab was stupid.

I'm going to say that again in case anyone missed it.

The spin in the backstab was stupid.

The thing is though; you want to balance out game play?

Fine.

Rather than weaken everything to a point of near uselessness, why not STRENGHTEN the moves that are not up to par with the others.

A very simple solution to "ass fighting" would have been:

1-Return normal saber swings to their previous damage rates.

2-Fix the exploit that allowed players to spin in back swings.

The only reason people relied on the backstab in v1.03 was because all the other lethal moves (normal saber swings and the DFA) were drastically weakened.

I am a player that seeks out the best players, practices, learns from his losses and adapts.

Honestly, this patch has very little effect on my play style.

The problem I see is for the lesser-experienced players.

The backstab/blue air lunges were the two moves I had to look out for in duels.

Even lesser players could get lucky and take out someone better due to the "equalizer" nature of the move.

Now, you guys who never got around to mastering pull/kick/saber throw combos are really going to be in for a surprise when you come at one of us flailing away with low damage saber swings.

I'm sorry but it's true.

"Now, you guys who never got around to mastering pull/kick/saber throw combos are really going to be in for a surprise when you come at one of us flailing away with low damage saber swings."

Um, when DFA was nerfed people, people didn't resort to flailing mindlessly (mostly :p)... they went with the next best thing... pull/backstab. With that nerfed, people won't turn to endless spinning in light stance... they'll learn how to kick.

And thus, the kick whore whine/anti-whine debates will start.

I do agree with you, don't weaken effective tactics.... strengthen the weak tactics. But people will adapt to the most effective method of winning. They won't NOT (wee double negatives! :p) kick just because they haven't practiced up on it :p

Blank

This is one of the advantages of being a gunner... no one bitches about anything. The only thing I have to complaints about is that force pull doesn't have the same distance that it had in 1.03 and I can't use the lunge to break a fall. As for when I play sabers, I never use backswing or backstab so I really don't care what changes come. Most of the people who whine about the patch are the people who use backstab or backsweep all the time (remember, I said most, not all). The only power move I use for sabers is the medium stance flip.

This is the dumbest thing raven did. I have to agree with Twins Of Doom.

First off, BS was there since 1.02. It worked just as it did before. Yeah yeah you are complaining about users who spam moves, true, any noob can run backwards and execute a backslash and get a kill, but did it take skills no... did some people get killed by it, yes, can it be avoided in one to one combat? 100% of the time unless your a complete noob.

Did anybody take the time to invest in these skills?

1. Midair backslashers... When an opponent jumps, jump towards him and in mid air turn and execute a BS.

2. Flying Backslash... similar to 1, instead the oponent is in the ground, leap... jump... as you are coming down execute a BS.

3. Mid Air DFAs... not the light lunge.

1 and 2 take extreme skills and practice to achieve... even though there were problems with 1.03, it did take skills to play and execute moves with grace. What Raven should've of done is instead of the piece of S*!T 1.04 is, bring back the old damage models for regular attacks. This made other moves effective, instead of backing everybody into a corner into one move.

Here is the new way to win in 1.04. Light or medium stance and saber spam... spam...spam...spam... kick spam spam... kick spam... repeat ad nausem. I cant wait till 1.05... saber spamming will be nerfed LMAO...

The ironic thing about all this is, the one thing people flock to this game the most for is the saber.

Yet, it is the one thing that keeps getting weakened in each patch.

When v1.03 came out it took me all of 2 minutes to figure out that other than saber throws, the backstab/sweep and the occasional yellow finisher or blue lunge, sabers were in no way up to par with kicks.

That’s kind of messed up for a Star Wars game.

Even though I am a heavy kick user, and have been for quite some time, I still think the saber should be the most lethal melee weapon in the game.

If you want to make the lethal attacks standard attacks or "special moves" it really does not matter to me.

One other thing.

Think about it from a newbie point of view.

You just got this cool Jedi game and even though you were not as good as the people who played 10 hours a day, you could still manage to rack up some kills.

Kind of like the way you did in Quake 3. Sure you couldn't rail as good as the tournament players but with a rocket launcher you had a chance.

As much as I would like to play "pro" level players all the time, it's not going to happen.

You have to keep in mind that not everyone is going to play all day, every day.

Every game has some sort of "equalizer" that can prevent them from being totally dominated by the guys who play all day long.

Now take that move away and, guess what?

You just shifted the balance so heavily into the favor of the experienced player that many people will no longer be willing to constantly die without even racking up at least a few kills.

Originally posted by Blank1234

Actually that seems to only occur with the two-handed backsweep (in yellow and red). The saber continues to be a glowing rod of instant death for about .5sec after the animation stops.

The real pisser is one someone starts a BS and gets knocked down. You walk up to them and you just drop dead.

Archived