Home

Which Website Design is Better?

Twins of Doom

well, i'm working on a new design for my site (i like it)

http://jkhq.ath.cx

OR

http://jkhq.ath.cx/jhqdesign/index.php

(make sure to check out the screenshots page!!!)

still in beta, i need to fix the buttons, redo the banner, fix a bunch of errors, add news and the poll on the main page

NOTE: currently my server is down so you won't be able to see it.....(damn roboteddy must have his computer off or something)

but when you can see it post your comments;)

Originally posted by c.d.

the second one is better, but the font pictures in the links buttons are way to compressed, fix that and you are set to go

i believe i already said i was going to fix that;)

everybody guess what my main problem is though?;)

i want to be nice to the damn 800 X 600 users...i want it to work for them

i want it to work for people that don't have 1280 X 1024 pixels

i want it to be compatable with everybody (like those stupid idiotic netscape users...browser detection is good:))

php is good too

but i don't like making it for 800 x 600 but i know i should so i do...the problem is that i only get 770 pixels of space when i do that:(

so i can't make the sidebar HUGE or anything

kinda sucks, but at least i make it work for them:)

Originally posted by Yoda_623

The first one is the best,I think the layout looks really good. :)

your the first person to prefer the first layout...everybody likes the second (including me and roboteddy...and roboteddy [who's my server] helped work on yabb se [you better know what that is] so he knows what he's talking about)

also, the newer design shows more programming skill of mine (that's the second one;)) because it uses more php and javascript:cool:

hey...almost done now:)

made the new banner

most of the pages are done

(just gotta put in all of the articles)

....then i gotta fix the buttons....sounds like fun...not

oh ya, gotta go through and check for errors too;)....and put in © (copyright symbol) and that info;)

then...i gotta put it in action if the general public likes it;)

On the 1st page.

The only thing that really bugs me is the blue table border really clashes with that background. The background kinda takes away from the text of the site.

On the 2nd page.

The crosshair in your title is a little distracting. You may want to play with font size & spacing to get the reader's eye back. The menu images are VERY aliased.

DHTML for the sake of DHTML IMO isn't really a good idea. I mean it's fancy & all, but if its not really doing anything for the flow of the page I'd leave it out. Since your index page is full of articles & olls and stuff I think it wouldnt hurt to have the menu down the side like you do have on the 1st page. You'll need a few unifying elements to shape it up (a color scheme, etc), but I like the 1st one the best. :) It's straight foward & is (for the most part) more cross-browser compatible.

My $0.02 :)

more cross-browser compatible.

browser detection

if you have netscape it takes you to the original design

and on the new design, if i make the sidebar like the old one...what is the point of making a new design, it will be exactly the same...pretty pointless if you ask me

Archived