Home

TUTORIAL: Creating New NPCs for SP Without Replacing Old Ones

ronbrothers

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Emon for fixing the ZIP link!

But I just knew this would be harder than it seems in the Tutorial! haha I must be reading it wrong somehow, but when I get into a map and try to spawn a RebornStormtrooper as per your tutorial is says that it is unable to spawn the character! and some other crap about no spawner file or something! I'm not trying to create a map yet, I just wanted to be able to spawn whatever into a normal map. Anyway, this is what I did, to try and get this working:

1. Created "New NPCs" folder in my Gamedata folder.

2. Extracted ext_data/npcs.cfg to "New NPCs" folder.

3. Copied and pasted Reborn's entry to a new file called "newnpcs.npc" and placed it in the Gamedata/New NPCs/ext_data folder with the npcs.cfg file.

4. Altered the newnpcs.npc file, so that Reborn was called RebornStormtrooper.

5. Extracted the whole models/players/stormtrooper directory from assets0 to the Gamedata/Base folder.

6. Renamed Gamedata/Base/Models/players/stormtrooper to Gamedata/Base/Models/players/RebornStormtrooper.

7. Loaded the game. No mod file existed in the Mod Menu called New NPCs. So I just loaded the game and the spawn didn't work.

So, what am I doing wrong? Does the ext_data file in the New NPCs folder need Pk3-ing?

Does the /models/players/RebornStormtrooper file need Pk3-ing?

or does the model_default.skin need tinkering with in the RebornStormtrooper file?

hahaha What pathetic piece of important info am I overlooking here? Any help?

Thanks

OK, i'm having the saber-blade-through-the-back problem as well, but i didn't quite follow how the solution is carried out. I'm trying to make Dooku into a npc...

So how does it work? Copy model.glm and model_default.skin to a new folder? Without path? With path? Does it need to be pk3'd? Is it RebornDooku/models/players, etc, or models/players/RebornDooku,etc. or what?

Can someone clarify this?

If you READ the tutorial word for word instead of skimming it and saying, "Oh yeah that I think I know what that is." You won't have problems. I know you aren't reading it carefully because you are having so much trouble. If you ARE reading it very carefully, then I'm sorry, you just must be stupid or something.

Gee, thanks Emon, in fact I DID read your "tutorial" about 10 times, and tried editing the files and setup at least 6 different ways, which your tutorial could have been interpreted, and in the end I said nuts to it, and did it MY OWN WAY, which I may say worked FIRST TIME. So don't call me stupid just because I didn't understand your tutorial. I think I'll write my own tutorial now, coz my way seems much easier than yours.

Cheers for the help, oh great one. :rolleyes:

Lol, glad I'm not the only one.

Gram, don't expect Lord to send you the files for the beta test, cause he won't. =P I've been waiting a month the last time he said he'd send, so don't get your hopes up. ;-/

• 8 months later...

I know this thread is really old and stuff but a solution was never posted to the problems these guys were encountering.

In Emon's tut he states the following:

"We now have to extract the npcs.cfg file from assets0.pk3. Do so using either PakScape or WinZip. The file is located in the ext_data folder. extract it to your GameData\New NPCs\ext_data folder.

"

There's somthing missing from the folder list here.

It should be GameData\base\New NPCs\ext_data folder.

That should solve the problem.

And the other point to add is that this will not appear in the mods menu. At least it didn't in my version.

Hope this helps even though it's probably been explained elsewhere.

Archived