Home

TUTORIAL: Creating New NPCs for SP Without Replacing Old Ones

ronbrothers

This has really revitalized game play for me here. But I've run into a problem... I'm trying to get a character to spawn as a protocol droid. I'm using "protocol" as in protocoltc14 in the folder and npcs file. Race is bot and class is protocol. But when I spawn the character, it spawns, but definally in human stance. What am I doing wrong? Bacically, I cut and pasted the npc entry from the raven protocol npc and changed the rest ....

• 3 months later...

LOL i just love it when this forum suddenly decides im not loged in or dont have

permision to edit my own posts :rolleyes:

OK...what was i gona say...o yeh.

Sweet! Thanks Emon, I didnt have time to try this when all you guys

were working it all out and I wasnt looking forward to reading through

all the posts on the subject to figure it out :D

At least one of the threads one this subject should be sticky, this seems like a good candidate. [edit] Never mind, I just saw that a thread like this over in maping is sticky. lol so many editing sections, hard to keep track of all.[/edit]

BTW Emon, in yer tutorial you say we need an updated SP_entities.def file that you got from someone at Raven.

What exactly are the changes from the normal one? Why is it needed?

(its way to long to look through it for myself :p )

Originally posted by Gram_Reaper

hey emon does studmans npc thing really work, cause before that guy was full of @#$% all the time

It's not studman's, it's Mike Gummelt's from Raven. He sent me the same exact e-mail like two weeks ago but it got pushed down my list because of SPAM from LucasForums mailer (even after shutting it off, I had to block the address), and I didn't read it till a few days ago. :eek:

its not studman's code but he was the one to post quotes from the emails he received which enabled us to do so

i wasnt aware of studman's 'fake modelling/jabba' posts so i didnt/dont really have a problem with him in regard to the general editing forum.

i have a problem with people that dont reply to pm's and posts in threads, especially when they say something doesnt work but it does and they arent man enough to admit to it :D

anyways, studman made mistakes, possibly lied about it and tried to blame someone else but he did email raven unlike most other people. i myself wouldnt like to email raven unless i was doing something extremely significant for the community (doubt that will happen) but some people do. regardless, i think he was still the first to post the stuff and not keep it to himself for his own TC.

i dont think we need 50 people making npc mods either, thats just a bit stupid. if someone made a tutorial npc mod, like one custom character, then everyone could learn from that and build their own. its not really that hard once you have all of the answers.

there is too much competing to be first to do something and too much bitchiness.

i was witness to the fake animations thread. yeah while he did blatantly spam the forum with it, he did post those emails from Chang and was the first to do so.

i myself wouldnt like to email raven unless i was doing something extremely significant for the community (doubt that will happen) but some people do.

go ahead and email Chang sometime. He's a really nice guy. I've asked him about a couple things I've had on my mind lately and some of it wasn't his expertise so he was gonna ask someone else for me. Still, he was very prompt with the email with the def file. One would think of course to keep the emails spread out tho, considering the volume amount of email he must get every day. still if there's something that you just gotta know and the community isn't helping much, then you can always email him and ask a simple question. I'm glad that there are people like that in big companies like Raven.

i tried studmans way of creating new npcs, it worked for two characters, i made a darth maul, and young obiwan, but every other one i try to make never works, i tried mace windu, but his head wont show up, i tried makeing a quigon, but he keeps showing up as a jeditrainer, tried to make a count dooku too, but he shows up as kyles dead father...

So im not sure what im doing wrong, for some reason its not using the models i choose for it. Here is what i did.

1) made a ext_data folder in the base directory.

2) put newnpcs.npc file in ext_data.

3) made a JediMaceWindu & jediquigon folder in the base/models/players directory.

4) put the mace windu model in its folder, and quigon model in its folder. Changed newnpcs.npc file config to that of windu and quigon

name: jedimacewindu or jediquigon

model : jedimacewindu or jediquigon

Keep in mind i did make two different configs one for each character, so i didnt try to combin them or anything. But the models just dont seem to work right. If this indeed does work with any model, then let me know what im doing wrong, i got it to work for 2 characters, but cant seem to get it working for any others.

And no offence to Emon, but his tutorial didnt help at all, i tried setting it up his way, but even the npc's i got to work wouldent work the way he said to set it up.

Archived