Home

do you prefer 1.03 or 1.04?

january

what do you prefer 1.03 or 1.04?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. what do you prefer 1.03 or 1.04?

1.03 was too goddam easy. kills were cheap, it was just knockdown and backstab, or even just the backstab when you had the opportunity. sure, there were some people who were good at countering it by not getting push/pulled, etc. so you just kick them down and do the same thing, or even better, leave them along and pick a different target to rack up kills off. then you had the people who used the yawspeed/sensitivity scripts, turning themselves into "blenders of death". i suppose this was all well and good if you were a server admin and could choose who you played and how they played, but for those who weren't, it was a lot less enjoyable.

1.04 takes a lot more effort and skill for a kill, because you have to work for it. it introduces much more of a deathmatch element to the game. in 1.03 nobody worried about grabbing shields and health because chances were they would do sweet FA. 1.04 makes bactas and large shield packs incredibly important, and actually introduces strategies such as resupplying (even though ammo isnt a factor in SO servers).

1.04 SUCKS!!

IT was easy to protect your self from pull+backstabbing.

But now there are not any speciall moves. its all about

attack, attack,attack, attack,attack, attack,attack, attack,

...the update was made for those who cant learn anything but

attack, attack,attack, attack,attack, attack,

no wan, it was made for people who could do something other than pull/slash, pull/slash, pull/slash, pull/slash, pull/slash, pull/slash ... 1.03 was so narrow it was pathetic. gameplay was one move, if you used ANYTHING else you were immediately at such a huge disadvantage gameplay was impossible.

I would say 104 is better, but Im too new to have had 103 not long enough to really judge the difference but have noticed a difference, as in moves, I am still at the same skill level, it neither improved for me or made it harder, but the force part I can play now, with some chance of fighting back, while I had 103 I just never went to any of the severs that had force on, I never had a chance, and no one was willing to teach. I like 104 for one reason mostly, ya can now block the BS, or minimize the damage with a blocking move, where in 103, it didnt matter. which was BowLSheet.

Originally posted by BigMexican

no wan, it was made for people who could do something other than pull/slash, pull/slash, pull/slash, pull/slash, pull/slash, pull/slash ... 1.03 was so narrow it was pathetic. gameplay was one move, if you used ANYTHING else you were immediately at such a huge disadvantage gameplay was impossible.

I agree with you. Players with little or no skill could rule a server with the yawspeed script. Not they are all paying for it. While you were all being “blenders of death” (I like that) the rest of us were learning to re-supply and line up more powerful moves for other types of one hit kills. Now I find players who kicked my butt with the blender moves are now eating my saber time and time again! I played on a previous blender server last night and kicked the crap out of them! The 1.04 patch has now given anyone with a little patience and some skill the ability to win. Everyone just needs to learn to adapt and not count that script files will win the game for you. Live, or die, and learn. Just take a little more time with the bots and you will learn to adjust. And if not then you will die at the hands of those you thought of as cannon fodder. Now maybe some of the blender people realize that the rest of us do not suck so bad after all! Long live 1.04!

I would have to say 1.04. Course, I only play SO NF servers and when 1.03 was out, all I could do was try to run from the BS's. I was new, so I really didn't know that many moves yet. But gradually I learned enough to stay away from them. Now, I can actually win a few and and play people who can duel with skill (not saying I have any :D) and I might even win! LOL

I'm not an expert, but I like this 1.04.

Peace

After seeing the spamming of spinning DFA (red finisher) in 1.02, pull (or even push)/backstab in 1.03, I think Raven addressed the issues that the MAJORITY complained about. Getting rid of the rediculous pulling was a great idea, and if anyone complains about the spinning exploit being removed, they are llamas, because anything that cannot be done w/out a script, should simply not be allowed (unless it's just something like changing model, saber color, name, etc - not affecting other players).

However, I don't necessarily agree that they should've done all the nerfing they did. Some random thoughts.

1) the blue lunge in air should still be possible - think about it in a physics way... you're falling, why should you not be able to lunge forward? The glide was an exploit, but all they need to do is make the lunge not chainable while in air, or make you fall just as fast while doing it (which would mean they'd have to change the animation - uh oh, GLA format.. whatever are we to do?)

2) backstab should still do more damage than a simple swipe across the front, because it is harder to time, and the book simply says it's a deadly move. Getting rid of the pull knockdown and the full damage from a backstab/sweep was enough.

3) They left the single biggest exploit in the game - saber throw/pull. You should NOT be able to use 2 offensive forces at the same time. Think of how lame it would be if you could grip and lightning. Throw/pull is completely unblockable, and well, it's just not something in the spirit of Star Wars.

4) Push/pull still affects jumpers using absorb, This doesn't make sense to me. If it doesn't affect them while standing, why does it work while they are jumping? It does help make CTF games not AS long in the maps w/ pits (bespin and ns_streets), but overall, it still doesn't make sense.

5) Sabers vs guns now - sabers lose 99.9 % of the time. This is unacceptable considering the way Jedis shred up mercs in the SW series. Lightsaber should block the Flechette and repeater secondary bullets, and maybe even rockets, because well, a lightsaber SHOULD be the most powerful weapon, not just a close range offensive/defensive weapon.

1.04 is better than 1.03, but there are still flaws. I'm working on a mod that fixes some of these things, but obviously I will not be adding new moves....

2) backstab should still do more damage than a simple swipe across the front, because it is harder to time, and the book simply says it's a deadly move. Getting rid of the pull knockdown and the full damage from a backstab/sweep was enough.

3) They left the single biggest exploit in the game - saber throw/pull. You should NOT be able to use 2 offensive forces at the same time. Think of how lame it would be if you could grip and lightning. Throw/pull is completely unblockable, and well, it's just not something in the spirit of Star Wars.

2 excellent points. It's good to see that there are still rational people around. I really don't know what Raven was thinking on those two. I don't think the effort was there to really make the game better just to shut up all of the cry babies. That is why we must turn to the mods to fix this mess. I have it fixed on my server and now it plays great.

crazyplaya73, what do you have on your server? A specific mod, some cvar settings, what? I'm interested in putting together the "best" combination that will appeal to most people, and putting it into a mod.

I also thought about trying to add a forward stab move, if there are animations that support it. (basically you stab straight forward w/ your saber, like a fencer would). It would also be nice to be able to do Darth Maul-style kicks to the side and forward w/out jumping. Most martial arts kicks do not require jumping and flipping off your opponent. Of course since the .GLA format isn't broken yet, we cannot make new animations, but hopefully that will soon change.

edit: nevermind, i figured it out after reading your signature :)

Archived