Home

For GREAT saber duels (THE IDEAL SETTINGS)

Smood

Firstly I would like to say that in MY opinion these settings, offer the best, and most realistic saber fights in terms of skill, and length of fight.

//(increased damage for movie like 1 strike kills! If it is a quick hit, it will not be a 1 shot kill, the setting is decent at 2 and 4 makes almost all hits a kill, forces players to duel cautiously, not just running and swinging)

seta g_saberdamagescale 3

//(parries, correct blocking, still someone what frequent blocks but they make SENSE)

seta g_saberghoul2collision 1

//(Disables unecessary blocking, i.e. saber tip hitting from behind)

seta g_sabertracesaberfirst 0

I really love these settings and feel they bring out the best in saber fights (either groups or duels)

Feel free to comment constuctively. :)

* update note

I just wanted to comment further on saberdamagescale. What I'am trying to obtain in saber battling is the deadliness of the saber.

I FEEL, that a saber that passes through a person's body fully should kill instantly and dismember appropriately. For a saber to swing through someone and only do damage doesn't make for the saber that is known in the SW universe and staggers continuity.

This does not mean that I want a saber to kill everytime it comes in contact with another person, if a saber hits a person's body, but only 'nicks' it touching flesh with its tip it shouldnt kill, and only damage done is valid.

The '3' setting for saberdamagescale best achieves this vision, and forces people to think when dueling, not just strike air.

*********** Thanks. [07/25/02]

Smood, my man, I don't know the first thing about coding and texting. So when you say seta, are you telling me to start a text or actually include that in the text. I've tried ghoul 2 before and am disappointed. I'm sure it's great but how should I know if I can't load it. Peace!

It didn't work huh? Well simply load the game, bring down the console (you know how to do that I'am sure), then type in g_saberghoul2collision 1. After this enter g_sabertracesaberfirst 0. Etc....

OR

The seta can be used in your multiplayer configuration file located in your base directory, to permenantly set all your botmatches or hosted games with those settings by default.

I recommend the following settings:

seta g_saberdamagescale 2

- I think 3 is too much (personal preference) because higher than 2 makes strong swing a disadvantage because medium stance will kill you just as quickly, but is not as slow a swing. Just my opinion. But increasing the saber damage definitely helps.

seta g_saberghoul2collision 1

- I like this type of blocking, since it is more like the SP (and movies?). And with extra saber damage, this blocking doesn't increase the length of a duel too much. Default is off, by the way.

seta g_sabertracesaberfirst 0

- I feel that if you have the above on, you should have this off. Otherwise almost nothing will get through.

Basically it depends on how long you want your duels to last. I like mine to last a little bit longer (one on one) than Smood does I think, so I like the above settings. For FFA, lowering blocking or increasing damage might be better. Again, all preferences. One thing Smood and I agree on though, is that there is no need to whine about nerfed saber this and useless saber that. It is so easy to change things to exactly how you want them (and you can put them in a config file so they will be set up automatically). So tweek away and have fun! :)

In any event, I decided to throw a bit of that info. into my sig, since I've answered too many "Oh no, sabers suck" threads as it stands with that answer smood. Thanks for the reclarification. :D

(I just wish a mod would sticky one of these... :rolleyes: )

what do you mean by regular blocking?

I meant:

seta g_saberghoul2collision 0

seta g_sabertracesaberfirst 1

With DUEL_SE you can increase damage for the saber with more control. Instead of doubling or tripling EVERYTHING you can set the damage for each stance, special moves, and backsweeps individually. It gives you a better ballance then saberdamagescale 2 or 3.

You can also lower the damage for kick, saber throw, and lightning and specify how often a kick will knock someone down. :D :D :D

A great saber duel (the short way)

1st - Uninstall your game, then reinstall it.

2nd - Do not install the patch (any of them).

3rd - play 1.02

Your duels will be excellent!

A great saber duel (the long way)

1st -Write that you want MORE in the next patch and not less on every thread you can find that touches on that subject.

2nd -E-mail Raven like crazy about bringing back the variety of moves and the "in control" feel of the original.

3rd -Never ever again fall for the old "if we just get rid of this everything will be better" line. Thats a lie. The only way to make things better is to add to them.

Thanks for reading this seeya

PS I read your 1.04 setting and your right it does make 1.04 better. But it still isn't the great game that got us all hooked in the first place

I got a vision on how saber duels should be in JK3. You use the mouse to control the saber and swing it anyway you like! Of course i dont know anything about programming computer games, so that might be impossbile. But i still like the idea!

imagine the enemy swing towards your legs. Then youll move the mouse cursor in a circle down left and you block the enemy saber just a few inch from your knees. Then you pull your sword back and push into the enemy body piercing your foes heart...

or something...

- Lionen, you have a wonderful idea, actual control of the saber with the mouse! Although this would either call for extreme programming, or a new code innovation it would definately be superior!

- Your welcome sharafett... I love these settings as well.

- Fatal strike, although 1.02 did require twitch skill, I feel it wasn't really a saber fight, but instead like a weird sword fight where there were no blocks or parries, oh and your saber went through things without harming them many times... 1.04 with the ideal settings is simply the best... :)

- crazaplaya, regular blocking isn't bad, but I prefer ghoul2 style without sabertrace since it introduces true parries and reduces blocking to body blocks, instead of a cube of blocking or a invisible blocking area

- Mercen4ry I'll see if I can make it happen, I work at jkii.net... so maybe?

Alright, with the help of ChrisC3PO I was able to get this thread stuck.

Now let's rally the entire community, and get servers running some great saber settings. Feel free to discuss the jk2 settings, this is the place to do it!

Originally posted by Lionen

I got a vision on how saber duels should be in JK3. You use the mouse to control the saber and swing it anyway you like! Of course i dont know anything about programming computer games, so that might be impossbile. But i still like the idea!

imagine the enemy swing towards your legs. Then youll move the mouse cursor in a circle down left and you block the enemy saber just a few inch from your knees. Then you pull your sword back and push into the enemy body piercing your foes heart...

or something...

Lionen, that is possible, and it has already been done! It's in the game "Die by the Sword" by Treyarch Inventions. It's an adventure/action game set in an medieval environment. They call the system "VSIM".

Originally posted by Smood

Firstly I would like to say that in MY opinion these settings, offer the best, and most realistic saber fights in terms of skill, and length of fight.

//(increased damage for movie like 1 strike kills! If it is a quick hit, it will not be a 1 shot kill, the setting is decent at 2 and 4 makes almost all hits a kill, forces players to duel cautiously, not just running and swinging)

seta g_saberdamagescale 3

//(parries, correct blocking, still someone what frequent blocks but they make SENSE)

seta g_saberghoul2collision 0

Don't you mean g_saberghoul2collision 1 over 0? I'm guessing you made a typo...

• 2 weeks later...

I'am still finding many, many servers not running any ideal settings. I think the bare minimum that should be on a server is g_saberscaledamage 3, so the saber is deadly!

I find that this settings gives gunners, and saberists a balance. Neither tends to be overpowered.

Archived