Home

Body Worlds

Jem

Okay if anyone lives in London you must go see The Anatomical Exhibition of Real Human Bodies, it’s professor Gunther von Hagens’s BODY WORLDS and is a must see, don’t miss.

This unique method of conserving bodies is called plastination and is perfect.

This exhibition is especially good for those of you who smoke, so you can witness how black and ugly your lungs are (if you smoke your life is shortened by an average 5 years.).

My favourite plastinated sculpters were:

_The skinless guy holding and watching his all-in-one-piece skinned skin.

_The 8 month pregnant woman, nicely cut so we can observe the fetus.

_The series of fetuses from 4 weeks to 8 month.

_The guy on the horse (both of them went through anatomy)

_The guy who was sliced in 5, he had a cool tattoo on his arm.

_The cardiovascular system of a full sized man, with nothing but the vessels and this sort of gel holding it, you can distinguish the face only with the vessels, nothing else. Fascinating.

_Various tumors you could spot…

_much much more…I loved it all!

It was clearly marked everywhere “DO NOT TOUCH” but I couldn’t resist and touched the pregnant woman’s leg muscle, her brain and her fetus. Then I went to eat a sandwich without washing my hands…

I repeat, if you live in London GO SEE IT NOW!, if you’re not then catch the next plane to London and GO SEE IT NOW!

More details at http://www.bodyworlds.com , and I’m sure you can find a gallery somewhere on the net.

I bought a "donate your body for plastination" form for 2 pounds (about 4 dollars), but only as a souvenir, I don’t intend on filling it…. or should I? :D

Two possibilities unfold:

_They desperately wanted to plastinate a pregnant woman so they forced one the sign the body donation form and proceeded in killing her.

_They took some random woman who died and had signed the form and stuffed a 8 month old aborted fetus up her ******.

Seriously, the mother died while she was 8 month pregnant.

I'm going to see the exhibition again, it's so interesting and fascinating.

If you want an online gallery, go here: http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/A/anatomists/hagens1.html

If you want to see the pregnant woman and her baby, go here: http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/A/anatomists/gallery2.html

Remember, these are real bodies.

BTW, I wanted to know if somebody had ethical problems with this? I for sure don't.

Yes I am a scout who is searching for fine bodies for professor von Hagens... Interested?

:devburn: "Just sign here: :sign2:"

Don't mind the fine print, they're just there for decorative purposes...

Because Jem is our resident ghoul? ;)

Niner, who's the new hottie in your avatar?

And I agree with Superthrawn; we're all just energy beings that happen to inhabit physical vessels. Eventually, a vessel wears out and is discarded. The spirit moves on, and the body just becomes scrap metal.

Originally posted by superthrawn

I don't see any problem with it. The soul doesn't really hold any connection to the body that I can think of. Perhaps Keyan can help. I'm only the forum expert on Protestant religions.

Yes, that's an interesting one. The Catholic perspective? Well, I do know that the body and soul are intimately connected. The human being is unique in that it is the only known being with a body and a soul in its natural state. The animals, for example, do not have souls, whereas God and the angels do not have bodies (though as we know, they can take human form for some purpose, and of course, Christ was both man and God). The human being must always have a body and soul. Upon death, the body and soul part, but as the Creed says, we believe in the ressurection of the body, and so we will be reunied with our bodies.

So since the body is so essential to the human being, it must be treated with the utmost respect. I'm not sure this is the case with this place, such as "The skinless guy holding and watching his all-in-one-piece skinned skin." From the CCC:

"2301 - Autopsies can be morally permitted for legal inquests or scientific research. The free gift of organs after death is legitimate and can be meritorious.

The Church permits cremation, provided that it does not demonstrate a lack of faith in the resurrection of the body."

So, there are legitimate scientific uses of the body after death, and educating people about anatomy is a good thing, but if they are arranged as some sort of freak show, this would be immoral. I sense this may the case with this thing, but I couldn't really say for sure without looking at it for myself. It's possible that it's OK.

Regarding the process itself, it is probably OK, but would depend on the reason for doing it. For example, having it done to yourself because you believe it will have some sort of effect on the afterlife would be wrong. But having it done for research purposes would be OK.

Note that I am far from an expert on this stuff, and this is just my guess, based on Jem's post.

Also, note that this may be some weird English thing that the rest of the world doesn't get :)

It's German and it's on a tour in europe. I do not see it as a freak show but a scientific exhibition, all the bodies are especially configured to demonstrate what medicine is interested in (heart deseases, brain tumers, the cardiovascular system, nerve fibres network and so on and so on...), things that make us learn and not just say "wow" or "yuk". Key point of interest are parts of the body which cause so many of us pain and discomfort, the spinal column for instance.

Note that:

_35% of all visitors are pupils or students.

_Up to 60 schools visit the exhibition in each city per day.

_95% of the visitors rate the exhibition "good".

_80% leave intending to take better care of their bodies. (I am sure that if any of you smoke you would want to stop once you've seen lungs ravaged by tabacco, blackened by tar and soot.)

About christianity, there is an exhibit (A skeleton on his knees supported by a big wooden cross) that celebrates the most anatomical friendly religion: Christianity.

Also, the real goal of these plastinated bodies are for medical research, exhibition only comes afterwords.

Archived