Home

Poll: What part of the game is the thorn in your side? (spoilers)

txa1265

What part of the game gave you the most trouble?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What part of the game gave you the most trouble?

• Dessann
    • Tavion
    • Galak Fyyar
    • Rodian snipers
    • Grans with Thermal Detonators
    • Shadow troopers and/or Reborn
    • Jump puzzles

Hi:

OK, so I have played through this game several times since getting it from my kids on my birthday (Apr5). Having just re-played through SoFII on my new mega-system, and just today finished RtCW again, and getting close on MoHAA again, I have been reflecting about the tough spots. While we could discuss the toughest spot across games (MoH's Omaha or sniper alley, RtCW's undying undead, or whatever) I'd just like to ask what part of JKII really gave you the most trouble.

I'm posting this as a poll. My hardest part - Galak. More than anything else, that causes me the most problems ... and getting out in the low-grav deathtrap.

What about you?

Mike

Without a doubt the snipers were the hardest part of the game for me. Normally the first warning I had of a sniper was when the game suddenly switched to 3rd person view and I'm watching my particles dissintergrate. Othertimes I just got hit for heaps of damage but survived. I found they always got the jump on me so I had to reload and snipe them, and then save and move onto the next one. Everytime I killed one...I saved the game. I never saved so much in any other part of the game.

Oh ... I found I couldn't edit, otherwise I'd have added "Keeping Lando Alive" and "Nothing, I ate the whole game for lunch" to the list.

As for the Rodians ... they share that wonderful brand of 'cheater AI' found in SoFII's jungle (and snow area), MoHAA's sniper alley (and the snow areas), and just about every other FPS I know. They have lived their entire life looking at the spot you are about to appear from, waiting to take you out. However, they are so surprised to see you that you actually have 1-2 seconds to waste them ... once you know they are there ...

Mike

In regards to the other options:

I found Galak time consuming but not difficult. Then I found out later that you can destroy the shield regenerator....

Desaan killed me pretty quick a few times before I killed him, also very fast. This battle is always over within a minute or two for me, one way or the other. Oh, desaan always whips me when I first meet him....maybe I should have voted for desaan. ;)

Tavion was the hardest for me to kill (not counting pushing her off the edge when she's in mid-air), took me awhile to put her down.

The grans with detonators only bothered me if I was using the light saber as you can't block them.

I enjoyed fighting the reborns and shadowtroopers. I had to take a wussy option at the end of the game when fight a couple of groups of them. I ran away from the last group so I got to fight them one on one.

I didn't have any trouble at all with jumping at any stage.

Also, places where I got stuck:

- Artus mine, red room.

- Kejim surface, Jan not landing becoz the third chicken walker

vanished into thin air. (I still had v1.00)

-Doomgiver, I didn't see a grate you had to destroy and jump up through.

-Yavin Swamp, I should have found the underwater tunnel, but I had seen this level was a sticky, so knew it must be easy to get stuck on. As soon as I found the crashed pod, and couldn't get in it, I looked up the sticky. Reading the first hint was enough, I knew I had to forget about the pod.

I'm curious to know how others found it, I wish more people would respond to this thread. But I don't look at these forums much and I wouldn't be surprised if this topic has already been thrashed to death.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you are talking what Characters gave the most trouble (which you seem to be) then tavion by far.

However,

I just finished on master jedi diff. and there were three areas

that were EXTREMELY difficult in order of difficulty.

1. Artus Topside. Right at the start you face an AT-ST headed your way. You must also go up above and save the prisoners from stormtroopers and another AT-ST.

This is absolutely impossible to do by simply killing the guards,

going up the lift, manning and the gun like I did on padawan and jedi difficulty. I found another way but even then it took many tries. (hint lead the AT-ST to the other end of the valley then run back so you're out of it's sight. Then proceed to go up top and man the gun. Prisoners are safe till you get to the top of the lift then the shooting starts.

2. Nar S. Starpad. The part where you have to keep Lando alive.

VERY hard at this difficulty. about 10 bad guys come through the doors at the other end. IF you kill them then even more come in from the big doors where you started. To make matters worse. Lando tries to stand there and shoot it out like he thinks he's invincible or something. (Hint: before entering the hanger (which is when the shooting starts) plant explosives and or trip mines at both entrances (outside the building) to reduce the number of bad guys that come in. Then when you do enter use force speed and the wookie bow on ssecondary fire (so it bounces around a little) to lay down a layer of fire.

3. Artus Topside The part where you enter the AT-ST building

(right after the hard part I mentioned in #1 above) and you have a bunch of very active and accurate bad guys to kill in two rooms.

Once you finally clear the two rooms and activate the switch you will get 4-5 more guys come down on both elevators (total 8-10) from each side of the main room where you have to go out.

Hint: This is where I used a lot of grenades on the first room. remote detonation explosives and a lot of strafing on the second. and planted trip mines at the top on the elevators where they "spawn" before hitting the switch. The ones that didn't get killed were knocked off the elevators and were easy shots from down below.

The part that was a thorn in my side was the Artus part with the trams. But snipers weren't a problem after you figure out how to deal with them. And that part on the Doomgiver were you use the trams was also hard. I gave up and got on-line for that part and I never knew that the awnser was so easy!:rolleyes:

:duel::lsduel:

Tavion was hardest for me; I think I quickloaded about 15 times before I killed her in a freak accident in one of the corridors (three medium finishers).

Next is the first encounter with ShadowTroopers in the circular room; I manage to kill one before the other snags me with Lightning... :( I eventually had to use godmode to get through them, but the other shadowtroopers were easier.

Oh yeah getting out of the anti-grav ship was pretty annoying. Controlling your floating is hard and you have to wait for Force Speed to recharge to go through the fires -_-.

Desann was the easiest boss aside from Reelo. I ran straight toward him down the temple ramp, he flipped over me and wound up directly in back of me; I spun and Lunged him over and over until he died.

Later I loaded up my quicksave with desann and couldn't seem to beat him afterwards, but I killed him once anyway ;) .

Originally posted by teutonicknight

Another thing that i got stuck on:

The last level, where there are 3 pushable walls, and you have to push that one button on the side. I didn't see that. It took me over 2 weeks to try to figure that out :D

Yeah that one was a biatch to figure out. I spent over 2 hours searching the darn place but the last button blended in so well I nearly slapped myself having finally found it.

With regards to Desann, I found him quite hard. Harder than Tavion or Galak.

He always grips me and I can't break out of it. Against anyone else I use push, but Desann just throws me around like a rag doll. Sometimes he has me in a corner and slams me from side to side until every bone in my body is broken, before tossing me aside like a used blaster clip.

His biggest flaw is using throw too much, I wait for him to use it, hit speed and start slicing while he's saberless. When he does have a saber I normally hide by the fallen pillar, keeping that between us, until he throws.

Originally posted by Gummo.nz

With regards to Desann, I found him quite hard. Harder than Tavion or Galak.

He always grips me and I can't break out of it. Against anyone else I use push, but Desann just throws me around like a rag doll. Sometimes he has me in a corner and slams me from side to side until every bone in my body is broken, before tossing me aside like a used blaster clip.

His biggest flaw is using throw too much, I wait for him to use it, hit speed and start slicing while he's saberless. When he does have a saber I normally hide by the fallen pillar, keeping that between us, until he throws.

Here's another way on Desann:

When you first come into the room there is a pull (or was it push?) switch on each side of the room. Immediately run to each switch and pull (or push can't remember now) it out. This causes the pink colored beam in the center to reactivate. When you jump through this beam you are invincible for a short period of time (you'll see bubbles around you). Desann can still do whatever to you but it doesn't hurt. After jumping through it it turns off for one minute then reactivates.

SO I ran around the top floor building back up force power and healing then when the beam activates jump down and wait for Desann to come down then jump through hit force speed and go fo him. Then run away like crazy until you're recharged and so is the beam.

Well seeing as I only used the Lightsaber always in SP (sip for sniping rodians). I found Grans with their goddamn grenades more annoying than anything else. In Bespin they're not as bad because you have better force powers. But in Nar Shadda... god they PISS ME OFF. I'll try and push em back but they'll just throw another one. Heh, sometimes I'll just run and slice em, but they'll throw it right before I killed em, so it hits me right in the face, hurts me bad and kills him.

It's not that they killed me directly, it's just they usually got me killed later by doing damage to me. After Nar Shadda I just gripped em and threw em around for revenge.

Although I like the fact Grans once you take their grenades away, they try and knock you out with their big cartoon fists. Heh. Almost cute, the poor deformed alien cows...

I'm still playing the game for the first time. Last night, I was in Cairn reactor. Got to the point where I'm on a 'car' that should sweep round a semi-circle to get to the other side but there is snipers along the way...

This really stressed me out, it took me an hour to succeed, but I was f%^&*£g p^%*("d off :mad: I turned off the game as sooned as I'd done it to go do something else.

Originally posted by memezcom

I'm still playing the game for the first time. Last night, I was in Cairn reactor. Got to the point where I'm on a 'car' that should sweep round a semi-circle to get to the other side but there is snipers along the way...

This really stressed me out, it took me an hour to succeed, but I was f%^&*£g p^%*("d off :mad: I turned off the game as sooned as I'd done it to go do something else.

That was one of those surprise/frustration/hard work/satisfaction things for me ...

I didn't expect it to be a nice little tram ride - but neither did I expect the tram to get destroyed! [Quick Load] Then I tried jumping right before it gets destroyed [Quick Load] [Quick Load] then earlier ... a couple of hops later I'm eating some rockets [Quick Load] then I play the Rocket-push game a bit, kill the stormie, snipe the other guy and proceed [Quick Load] oops, another rocket-stormie ... [Quick Load] whew! Just a few more jumps [Quick Load] more careful this time ;) Done.

Replaying the game - there are jump areas that have become much easier, but that little section, while easier through knowledge, is not trivial.

Thanks all for the postings - I've not checked in a while! I love seeing all of the viewpoints!

Mike

I tell you, I was cursing Lucasarts and Raven Software no end last night...

I was trying to take out the stroopers with weapon no.4 but it was so difficult to get a direct hit because of the movement of the 'car', whilst at the same time shooting/zooming with my left hand and aiming the targetting reticle with the mouse in my right hand......and you're trying to do this while missiles are being launched at you and every time a missile hits you lose the zoom mode......arrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!! :mad: I wasn't at the point whereby I was ready to throw my PC out the window but I was at the point whereby LA and Raven would be getting no more money from me...I can't imagine what this bit of the game is like on the hardest difficulty setting :eek: (I'm playing on the default difficulty setting)

In contrast, I didn't find Tavion too bad (certainly didn't spend an evening trying to defeat her...). The Reborn are not too difficult either...

Originally posted by Gummo.nz

-Yavin Swamp, I should have found the underwater tunnel, but I had seen this level was a sticky, so knew it must be easy to get stuck on. As soon as I found the crashed pod, and couldn't get in it, I looked up the sticky. Reading the first hint was enough, I knew I had to forget about the pod.

I'm curious to know how others found it, I wish more people would respond to this thread.

I kinda found it the first time around, because when I play SP I usually poke my nose everywhere trying to find all secret areas I can find, at the first hint.

As per Artus Topside, yes, that's the best tactics I think, to lead the first AT-ST away. That way he won't hammer you from behind while you are trying to protect the prisoners, and you can lead it back and destroy it later.

Nice idea with trip mines and remote detonation packs while fighting near Lady Luck, I usually used a lot of grenades on altfire but didn't think of planting mines beforehand, silly me. Same tactics could be used when you capture Imperial commander on Artus base, and he brings a lot of stormies afterwards...

Those imperial commanders (black uniform) are a pain, yes... although they use the same weapon as stormies do, they tend to be a lot more accurate and use altfire a lot more often.

Side note: I wonder why (when browsing thru game definition files), those Jedi that help you in Jedi Academy, have an aggressivenes setting of 5 (highest). While it is understandable for the Dark Jedi (reborn, shadow troopers, Desann, Tavion), whose combat style is by definition offensive, the true Jedi, who are taught to fight defensively, should in fact have the lowest aggressiveness - that is, take a convenient covered position, and wait for the enemy to close in, most of the time countering their attacks and occasionally responding with their own. That would be a lot more helpful in Jedi Academy, that those 3 brave Jedi hurling themselves into a pack of dark troopers with screams at first sight, thinking they are invincible.

Originally posted by txa1265

<snip>

I didn't expect it to be a nice little tram ride - but neither did I expect the tram to get destroyed! [Quick Load] Then I tried jumping right before it gets destroyed [Quick Load] [Quick Load] then earlier ... a couple of hops later I'm eating some rockets [Quick Load] then I play the Rocket-push game a bit, kill the stormie, snipe the other guy and proceed [Quick Load] oops, another rocket-stormie ... [Quick Load] whew! Just a few more jumps [Quick Load] more careful this time ;) Done.

Replaying the game - there are jump areas that have become much easier, but that little section, while easier through knowledge, is not trivial.

<snip>

Yeah, that was probably the most frustrating part for me too. I was cursing a blue streak all through that level.

With Tavion, Galak & Desann, forewarned is forearmed. But this section doesn't give any quarter. :-(

Mike

Archived