Home

Why do most people hate EMI?

I mean, it had everything a game should have.

#1: The control is very desent. And a break from point n' click. (Not that I'm saying point n' click sucks. :D ). It felt good to hit the keybored and loose the mouse.

#2: The graphics are great. You'd exspect 3D to look a little real. I think it was a very funny the way everything looked.

#3: The sound. Beutiful. Wunts you see that Lucasarts logo on screen and hear that swooooshhh of the waves the mood just flicks on.

#4: The story is fine. I've heard a lot of people say that the story sucked because Guybrush was running earens for Elain. IT WAS TO SAVE THEIR HOUSE!!!!! He had to do it! And the surprise ending was great. Pluse, doing monkey combat was difficult. But at least it was a break from sword fighting. Sword fightings great but all Monkey Island fans are used to it. They would master it in a half-hour.

Why do you people hate it!?

The story sucked. I dont meen the running errands part. I mean the part where teh giant metallic monkey is discovered to be the secret of monkey island. And the part where lechuck somehow develops the ability to morph. And the part where Herman Toothrot contradicts the previous three games with that brilliant twist of his.

Monkey Kommbat was very boring and repetitive, and it wasn't fun at all. It made a change, but not all changes are for the better. If I want a change I'll turn off EMI and play with myself.

And finally, it was too easy! It was the easiest MI game by far - the only difficult puzzles were the frustratingly obscure ones, like the filing system or the Herman-Coconut puzzle.

I still liked the game though, but the first 2 are the superior of the series.

I think no matter how much anyone hates EMI it's just too difficult to actually admit that you hate a Monkey Island game, so that's why you'll hear "I still liked it". I'm nearly ready to admit I don't like it at all myself though; it's definitely not one of the classics that I'll go back to and play in the future. I don't think I'll even remember it in the future.

I have to agree with just about every negative point made so far; the story was pretty bad and it was too inconsistent with all of the previous MI games. For example, in MI1 you read right in the captain's log about Toothrot being a shipmate on the Sea Cucumber way before they ever got to Monkey Island, and it was HT's voodoo soup that got them there anyway, so HT was hardly an amnesiac once on the island (and HT was definitely his real name). I don't see how he could possibly be Elaine's grandfather (come to think of it, didn't we already find out that her grandfather was supposedly killed by LeChuck during the Americas Cup?).

Monkey Kombat made me kinda chuckle at first, but only because I'm a fan of terrible kung fu flicks. It quickly lost its novelty; I actually found it to be pretty easy, which made it just plain tedious after a while. One of the things that really hurt the game though (besides all the inconsistency) is that you could really tell how different the sense of humor of MI4's creators were from MI1 and 2's. It was almost as if you were playing someone's misinterpreted version of the Monkey Island seires, which is why I'm ready to dismiss MI4 as some kind of "alternate universe" story that people seem to enjoy making so much. It's like someone sat down and played halfway through MI1 and 2, didn't really get the story, read on the internet what happened in MI3, and then went on to do MI4.

Sorry for getting longwinded there. On a final note, I would have enjoyed the game much more if it was 2D as well - don't get me wrong, I liked Grim Fandango a lot, but I love the old 2D style (plus the graphics in MI4 were a toss up, some were really good and some were really, really bad). Alright I'm done. Time to talk more about the great classics instead of their recent franchise milkings.

I have to agree with just about every negative point made so far; the story was pretty bad and it was too inconsistent with all of the previous MI games. For example, in MI1 you read right in the captain's log about Toothrot being a shipmate on the Sea Cucumber way before they ever got to Monkey Island, and it was HT's voodoo soup that got them there anyway, so HT was hardly an amnesiac once on the island (and HT was definitely his real name). I don't see how he could possibly be Elaine's grandfather (come to think of it, didn't we already find out that her grandfather was supposedly killed by LeChuck during the Americas Cup?).[/b]

Ok, I don't know about the MI1 thing, but I do know that LeChuck was lying about the other thing, (duh). And why does everyone think that we need every game in 2D. I mean it's 2002. Change is good!!. People just need to stop living in the past. (And I'm not saying that 2D sucks:) )

Ok, I don't know about the MI1 thing, but I do know that LeChuck was lying about the other thing, (duh).

Apparently whoever worked on MI4 didn't know about MI1 either. And LeChuck had no reason to be lying about killing Captain Marley - it's kind of a thing with pirates, bragging about murdering people.

And why does everyone think that we need every game in 2D. I mean it's 2002. Change is good!!. People just need to stop living in the past. (And I'm not saying that 2D sucks :))

No one said every game needs to be in 2D, but the 2D adventures have a much different feel than the 3D ones and quite frankly they're more enjoyable. Change may be good sometimes but making something 3D doesn't automatically make it good, contrary to what many seem to think. And if I'm living in the past then all I have to say is the games were much, much better back then anyway.

I didn't say that 3D makes a game automaticlly good. And everyone knows that LeChuck was lying. It doesn't matter what pirates say! *Sighs* I just don't get why everyone hates the game exsept me. I will never understand people!

I think all the reasons why the game is hated have been posted already, but to review:

1) It was very inconsistent with the other games.

2) It was too easy/short.

3) It sucked.

Mind you that's why everyone else hates it, there's no reason for you to change your mind on it if you really like it. As for understanding other people's opinions though, it's pretty straight forward. I think the worst part is the inconsistency, that alone will kill it for fans of the series; if you have no knowledge of the series then yeah sure, I guess you could like it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest King Andrei

Actually, I think that the most stupid part of EMI was the fact that Guybrush was doing errands for the wife.

Also I think it sucked because Guybrush didn't get to keep that gun.:naughty: In fact Guybrush never got to keep weapons in any of the MI games.

Besides that, I think it was cool and had nice graphics too.

Things of the modern decade have been in every MI game. EMI did not start it.

If you didn't notice, the MI series is meant to be funny, not a serious game set in pirate times. The modern stuff gives the game a fun, lighthearted, even silly touch.

Unless I'm mistaken, of course, and things like pop machines, matches, tacky salesmen outfits, dollar bills, cheese poofs, Buzzsaw Girl calenders, Rubber Chickens, electric lighting, Weenie Huts and Marshmellows all existed way back in the 1600s. If so, I stand corrected and apologize.

I enjoyed it thoroughly. The only things I would have like to change are 1) increased battles of wits (non-monkey combat) and 2) in the closing monkey combat play a varition of the Mortal Kombat theme when the screen change to a MK style screen with the little symbol... kinda wish I could have pounded him down too instead of just mimicing his moves...

Kryllith

• 4 weeks later...

It betrayed the past, turning a once great series into a "franchise." Souless, without the character and charm of the other games, it was a compromise between innovation and the past. It should be all or nothing. Respect must be paid to the brillaince of the past, but advancement must be made. Not enough was, in my opinion.

• 5 weeks later...

Plus that 3D thingy..... converting 2D to 3D was not a good job...

But it was a good game, so I don't hate the game...

But it... was too weird..... in a bad way.... I mean, did you see how dumb they made Guybrush look all the time?

He wasn't dumb in the previous games... and that Monkey Robot still annoys me a bit...

Archived