Home

.gif Question!!!!

Darth Groovy

I been experimenting with some animated .gif images as avatars, some work, some do not. The problem I have is that Certain images are too large. When I resize them in adobe image ready, they look fine, but they are saved as a pdf image or photoshop image. I was wondering is there any way to resize a gif image and keep it in the gif format? It works fine in photoshop for the still images but how can I resize the image and use it as an avatar? :confused:

Originally posted by Yoda_623

Whoa,cool avatar. Did you use the moviegear .GIF maker?

No master I am afraid not. I only copied it off of a google photosearch. I would like to make animaged gifs like yours and master obi wan 13's though! I have more than enough images now.

Originally posted by NerfYoda

Open your gif's in Photoshop (using file -> open. :) before you save as a gif again remember to ditch all your alpha channels, paths & set to indexed color mode!

My own personal savior. Nerfyoda, Creator of the original Darth Groovy Avatar! Hey have you seen this?

Welcome to the Manipulation!

Note: Looking for staff writers and contributors!

email Darth Groovy @:

darthgroovyii@aol.com

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

My own personal savior. Nerfyoda, Creator of the original Darth Groovy Avatar! Hey have you seen this?

Welcome to the Manipulation!

Note: Looking for staff writers and contributors!

email Darth Groovy @:

darthgroovyii@aol.com

Ok I have not figured out what you meant by alpha channels but I did figure out what you meant by indexed color mode.

Are you trying to say that you lose quality when resizing a gif or saving as a gif.

Reason is: gif dont allow alpha blending. In other words. if you have transparency, the edges must be sharp. Not fading. Look at the smilies on these forums. They are a square image, but a certain area is clear. Save the image as and open it in photoshop. zoom in and you'll notice the edges are square.

If there is no transparency then its because resizing an image in gif just plain sucks.

GIFs use indexed colouring. TO resize and keep quality try chaning it to RGB colouring. I know it might sound wierd but you loose less quality. to change go to: image--> mode --> RGB colors

by changing this you cannot save the file as a .gif anymore. So resize you image to the desired dimensions. then save is as .psd (for a back up). then go image-->mod--> index colors.

this removes all colours not used in your palette, thus the reduction in file size. now save it as .gif

contact me if the problem is something else or it if still continues.

Originally posted by TheJackal

Are you trying to say that you lose quality when resizing a gif or saving as a gif.

Reason is: gif dont allow alpha blending. In other words. if you have transparency, the edges must be sharp. Not fading. Look at the smilies on these forums. They are a square image, but a certain area is clear. Save the image as and open it in photoshop. zoom in and you'll notice the edges are square.

If there is no transparency then its because resizing an image in gif just plain sucks.

GIFs use indexed colouring. TO resize and keep quality try chaning it to RGB colouring. I know it might sound wierd but you loose less quality. to change go to: image--> mode --> RGB colors

by changing this you cannot save the file as a .gif anymore. So resize you image to the desired dimensions. then save is as .psd (for a back up). then go image-->mod--> index colors.

this removes all colours not used in your palette, thus the reduction in file size. now save it as .gif

contact me if the problem is something else or it if still continues.

The problem is I just want to change the size of the file to 70 by 70 pixels or a similar ratio. When I open the file in photoshop it only opens the single image. What I am trying to do is shrink the image size without losing the animation, or having to convert to a .psd file. For example click here:

http://www.casualjoy.com/dance/pulpfic/twist2.gif

I want to make this image small enough to use as an avatar, but it has to be a .gif or JPEG format. That is where I am confused. Nerfyoda said to change to ditch the alpah channels which I can't figure out how to do. I will have to try some more I guess.

twist2.gif

Bump, Still haven't figured out how to ditch the alpha channels, to the forum users.......I apologize for dragging this out, but I get better answeres here than anywhere else. When it comes to computer issues, I am stubborn, I want to know how to do everything and I keep trying until I get it resolved. To look at some amazing .gifs click the link on my sig! You should see some of the others I got, only I can't load them until I resize them!

The way I'd do it is...

1) Save the .gif

2) Open it in Corel, Photoshop, etc....

3) Now create a new document that's 70x70 @ 24bit RGB.

4) Change the new document to a movie with 2 frames.

5) Copy and Paste frames one and two, respectively. Merge all layers.

6) Export as.... Save as gif (I use Corel so I don't know the Adobe way).

7) Change image to 8bit RGB paletted. Use the frame with the most colors when saving.

8) Use compresion method=Ordered and Palette=Optimized. Edit save options.

Voila! :D:confused:

OR.....

I'm making NEW AVATAR's for all of the Lexx's Heros who want them. I'd be happy to make one for you. Whatever you want, Groovy. :cool:

Archived