Home

JK2 Raw Animations File Petition

NickR

Originally posted by razorace

Has a online petition ever worked?

There was a video card company that released a card with a built in wallhack for most FPS's... a petition from a member of the CS community caused the company to take down the drivers that allowed this feature.

What's this petition about? o.O

lets think about this for a second. How would you obtain this 600 mb file. Surely not by download. Mail, well you'll probably ending up paying a couple of bucks for them anyways. I think its a worthless casue, think will be totally ingonred.

Come on looks at the Two towers petiton. That was TOTALLY ignorned. First off, create your OWN site for the petition. The petiton you have created here is very far from convincing. This way if you create your own site, you can go into more detail on WHY you want these aniamtions.

Personally, I would like to see raven get invovled with making custom aniamtions that go with custom skeletons, that work in mp.

Sorry if that post came out a little harsh. I'm just saying that it most likely won't get released because VERY few people will be able to take advantage of it. Of course it won't be impossible, but the returns would be very minimal (the current animations cover most generic stuff already).

First of all, animating isn't too easy, and second of all, I don't believe the Raven guys did it in Max; I'm almost positive they animated everything in Softimage (hence the .XSI files). Most hobbyists, including me, use Max; Softimage is a more advanced package; while Max is incredible at low poly stuff, Softimage has THE best animation capabilities in the world.

So I'm saying that a lot of the stuff in Softimage might not translate well to Max. It would be opening a can of worms, and probably only a small handful of people would be able to take advantage of it.

To put it this way- the only use I could see for it would be a mod with relatively few animations. Otherwise, to put a standard animation into jk2 without mods would require doing several thousand frames of animation. Very few hobbyists have access to a mocap studio, and even fewer could afford renting it out. Animating it by hand is theoretically possible, but do YOU want to do 17,000 animations just for a slightly different look?

I know quite a few modelers who have SoftImage and my mod team has a mocap studio available to us.

However, I'm not just trying to get the animations file for my team, but for the whole mod community.

If we are denied this file it restricts what we can do, unlike in JK1 which you could do basically anything, engine allowing of course.

Certainly a tough issue, which might come as an easy solution to many, but others, such as myself, have mixed feelings...

On the one hand, having the file so that animations can be edited instead of being made from scratch greatly benefits the mod community. There is no argument there....

However, I imagine the reason raven hasn't graced us with the file, is the same reason engines are kept out of reach to a lesser extent. The file has the potential to give competitors an advantage or resource to exploit.

I know, you may be saying, 'NOT SO!' well, think about this, why don't we have the file?

Simple Enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Psionic Jedi

There was a video card company that released a card with a built in wallhack for most FPS's... a petition from a member of the CS community caused the company to take down the drivers that allowed this feature.

What's this petition about? o.O

The petition was started by Disk2, who is behind the works of Half-Life Sound Selector as well as HLirc. He has been known to hang out around the CSR server (Counter-Strike Radio).

Pays to know your people.

As far as animations go... I have mixed feelings as well...

So the file is over 600 Mb.

And your point is?

I downloaded 3 Gb in 2 hours yesterday, and I only have a capped cable connection.

That is a non-issue.

:D

As for the other issues involved, if they ARE going to issue an expansion pack (I hope the Force is with us on that:)) then I would not want them to release the raw files just yet. Let's get every last bit of official stuff outta them before they turn it over to the modders....

Archived