Home

ArtifeX's ProMod 1.0 Beta -- Released

ArtifeX

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by zerowingzero

Bah, you gotta do something about your server, i was playing and most people don't even realize what the mod does, or what "Beta" means.

Now i'm not one to complain about guns, i even defend gun users, but since there are so few servers that host this mod and with the current relase it makes NO changes to guns, i really dont see why people use guns. It is supposed to be about testing out the changes you made, not about geting the most kills.

If it was the final version and all the bugs were worked out, i wouldent mind as much, but it is really geting annoying when i'm trying to test how sabers interact and getsniped. I Could care less if it was another server,but this really trying my patence.

Also with lightning, it's way to easy to get kills in a FFA enviroment, i'd like to make some sugestions:

1.The longer lighting is pressed, the lower damage it does: This way you can still use it to finish people off while not useing it as your main strat

2.Narrowing the arc:This would actually put some skill into useing it, as you can not just blindly enter a room and get kills while dodgeing anything someone throws at you

3.Slightly shortening the length: This would allow the lightning user to be agressive, rather than passive and actually puting the user in danger

1. & 2. -- I think I can remedy both of these with 1 fix. I've jotted it down on my list.

3. Actually, the length was shortened in ProMod by about 40%. I'll keep an ear to the ground for other voicing the same opinion.

artifex, you may wish to ban the player "Ayanami" or something like that...she used to be a JHQ member, but she was causing trouble in JHQ and ruining our reputation as an honourable clan.....so we booted her, now she goes around causing as much havoc as possible

if you challenge her to a duel she waits, walks up to you...then light stance lunges you...she takes the game WAAAAAAAAAY to seriously, just thought i'd tell you;)

BTW: love the mod

Twins, I took on Ayanami 2 days ago... she was a cake walk. First, she refused to bow, so that automatically means I fight dirty. She tried to do as you say with the light lunge, but you know what I usually do after bowing (reverse climhazzard, wether you are ready or not). Needless to say, I whipped her ass with a flawless while she played pathetically. She blamed her loss on lag, when in fact, she was dicking around. That was exactly what I said.

Her leaving JHQ and going awol has no surprise on me.

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose

Twins, I took on Ayanami 2 days ago... she was a cake walk. First, she refused to bow, so that automatically means I fight dirty. She tried to do as you say with the light lunge, but you know what I usually do after bowing (reverse climhazzard, wether you are ready or not). Needless to say, I whipped her ass with a flawless while she played pathetically. She blamed her loss on lag, when in fact, she was dicking around. That was exactly what I said.

Her leaving JHQ and going awol has no surprise on me.

ya, i know...i hand her ass over to her every time...if you see her with the JHQ tag because she likes to put it on every once and awhile, please tell her that i told you to tell her to take it off if you ever see her

I'll keep a lookout. thanks for the heads up.

Originally posted by Twins of Doom

artifex, you may wish to ban the player "Ayanami" or something like that...she used to be a JHQ member, but she was causing trouble in JHQ and ruining our reputation as an honourable clan.....so we booted her, now she goes around causing as much havoc as possible

if you challenge her to a duel she waits, walks up to you...then light stance lunges you...she takes the game WAAAAAAAAAY to seriously, just thought i'd tell you;)

BTW: love the mod

I'm usually in the official server after 8pm EST. Drop in and say hi.

Check the very first post in this thread for the ip.

Originally posted by NathanRahl

I've just downloaded ProMod, but already it "feels" good - nice work ArtifeX! :)

This will definitely lead some of my friends and me back to JK2... So see you soon in the arena... ;)

I've set up the official server for the Duel gametype for now, with full force enabled. I'd like to get a nice big game of CTF going with some of the more experienced CTF'ers playing so that I can see any high-level-play imbalances for myself and make the appropriate adjustments.

I may do that tonight if anyone would like to join in.

Originally posted by Olisple

I was there for a bit. It is lots of fun, though I'm not much for ffa. Dueling is my specialty...

I have found a few duel servers with it on, and it was lots of fun. Good work Artifex. ;)

couple things:

1. in duels...all people do is run around healing, sure you can counter it...but it's not exactly easy....and it's kind of unbalanced towards the light side for healing....just thought i'd say that

2. for those of you that don't want to register, my friend was having trouble getting the email, so i put promod in a zip file and uploaded it to the server my site is running on

http://jkhq.ath.cx/promod/promod.zip

(if you want me to, i'll take it off artifex)

3. i'll be there for the CTF (at least i'll try), what time would that be in MST (mountain standard time)....i don't know my time zones....n/m, just asked a clan member who was in eastern time what time it was....2 hours ahead of me...so i'll be there at 6 MST for the CTF right?

Well, after forsaking JO for a couple months I got back into it the other day, and tonight I decided to try out this new mod on the duel server.

I've always preferred 1.04 over the other versions, but I have to say this mod brings together the best aspects of them all. Blocking is reliable, but not over-the-top like in the patches, and a direct hit is once again formidably powerful...it all actually makes sense now.

I have to admit I never really watched the CSC much when I was fighting, I just sort of relied on my intuition and my experience with guns in FPS games. I don't know, I think it should be a little easier to see, but it shouldn't intrude on the player's view either. Maybe I should just try to improve my game by focusing more.

Yeah, there was a lot of healing going on when I played...but that's been a controversial part of duels for as long as I remember.

Oh well, just some random comments.

The Heal issue has been around a long time. It's especially evident when playing Light vs. Light due to the lack of offensive force powers. Both players just end up hoarding their pool to heal whenever they get nicked. Light vs. Dark really isn't a problem, as the Dark player can take advantage of the massive amount of Power that the Light player uses to Heal.

I think once people figure out how effective Protect is in saber duels against other Light players, this will balance out. Heal does take half your Pool to use, and only Heals 45 points at level 3 per use. So one Strong swing will most likely kill anyone who's low enough on health to use this twice. Two medium swings definitely will.

At some point I'll be adding another Neutral Force Power that will make the Force Pool of both sides much more precious.

Here's my feedback on ProMod so far:

Love the saber combat code and CSC, wish it had been done this way in the original, can't wait to try this out on lan this weekend.

Artifex, I realise you're a big 1.02 fan, but I actually thought the jumping doubletap change was a good one. It's quite frustrating to try and jump over something and to do it three times before you can get over it without backflipping. Maybe it's just something I'll have to get used to again.

Kicking seems a little buggy? (I appreciate its still beta) While playing with a bot I managed to do a side kick while I was facing it and got a knock down. On another occasion I killed the bot using a side kick (which I thought wouldn't be possible since it is supposed to do no damage).

With single tap kicking it seems very easy to kick spam someone to death.

On the whole, great work.. wish I could find more people online playing it when I'm looking to play.

Originally posted by jakka

Here's my feedback on ProMod so far:

Love the saber combat code and CSC, wish it had been done this way in the original, can't wait to try this out on lan this weekend.

Artifex, I realise you're a big 1.02 fan, but I actually thought the jumping doubletap change was a good one. It's quite frustrating to try and jump over something and to do it three times before you can get over it without backflipping. Maybe it's just something I'll have to get used to again.

Kicking seems a little buggy? (I appreciate its still beta) While playing with a bot I managed to do a side kick while I was facing it and got a knock down. On another occasion I killed the bot using a side kick (which I thought wouldn't be possible since it is supposed to do no damage).

With single tap kicking it seems very easy to kick spam someone to death.

On the whole, great work.. wish I could find more people online playing it when I'm looking to play.

Yeah, i realized the single-tap kicking was going to be controvercial after 2 patches both with double-tap. Anyone who was playing a lot back during the 1.02 to 1.03 transition remembers how much kicks started to get spammed once people figured out the extra range. It boils down to the fact that with the extra range, kicks are better than the entire set of Light Stance attacks. They're unblockable, have better range, do only slightly less damage, and leave you up in the air afterwards, making you very difficult to hit.

I'm going to look into something on this that'll hopefully satisfy both sides of the argument. I think you'll be pleased.

The front/side kicking switching bug is on my list.

i hope this doesn't sound too vague...

i agree with the kicking should be double tap for a couple reasons

a) everybody is used to tapping the button twice to execute a kick

also i agree its a major pain to try running along and then jump...only to kick the wall:confused:

there is one spot on ffa_bespin that really ticks me off

you know the starting point where you go up 2 flights of stairs to get a repeater? well there is a little wall with a "window" you can jump through this to land on a bridge with a portable assault sentry

this is something i do all the time and i find that i end up kicking the wall 2 or 3 times before i actually get over the little ledge

Originally posted by Twins of Doom

i hope this doesn't sound too vague...

i agree with the kicking should be double tap for a couple reasons

a) everybody is used to tapping the button twice to execute a kick

also i agree its a major pain to try running along and then jump...only to kick the wall:confused:

there is one spot on ffa_bespin that really ticks me off

you know the starting point where you go up 2 flights of stairs to get a repeater? well there is a little wall with a "window" you can jump through this to land on a bridge with a portable assault sentry

this is something i do all the time and i find that i end up kicking the wall 2 or 3 times before i actually get over the little ledge

I have problems on FFA_bespin too!!!

Its on the other side of the map with the Golan Arms Weapon. Above the weapon is a small room with batca. Grr!!! Very annoying to try and jump from the batca room to the Golan Arms. Im starting to just go around, instead of wasting the time to try and jump. :rolleyes:

Archived