Home

What ways could LA make an original RTS?

RollingFelony

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It has less economy micro. It has more micro in combat due to Myth Units and God Powers. It's not really too much of a clickfest, but it is definately less economy than AoK. Which is good to an extent, but if overdone it makes the game oversimplistic and boring. At least they still have a lot of technologies to research.

It has less unit micro as well. MUs require no promting to do their special, it is done randomly. There are slightly less units on the battlefield, which is another micro plus. Theres no micro intensive things like converting, etc. The god pwers add, at the most, 4 extra double clicks per game.

Resources have to be more generic.

But do they? Sure, in every other RTS they are, but Star Wars is different. I think that you mine a resource that might be unique to the planet, or particularly valuable on a planet, and you have to sell it to get your money. For example, when on Naboo you mine the plasma, which is sold offworld for energy and shield generators. On Kessel, you mine spice. On Tatooine, you might even set up a moisture farm to earn cash! I think it could work. Other planets you could just mine metal ore or something generic, I suppose. But I still don't like the idea that in a military base, raw minerals are processed and spent on site. In worked fine in AOK, because you're base was a village, but in SWGB they are quite often only military outposts.

Ah, but what if u are on other worlds?

And all this 1 resource stuff works fine in C&C, because they are RTS's that are meant to be played in less than 45 mns.

Finnaly, with the exeption of nova, what is wrong with these resources? I mean, the Rebels had to look after themselves on Hoth, and the thing they didn't want was selling off food supplies.

Okay, everyone is making valid points, so I've decided my one-resource approach is maybe too simple.

I've got another idea, but maybe this is too complex. Basically I'd like to move away from the concept of processing minerals in a military base.

How about resources are mined (though I think they should be replenished over time) similar to the way they are now, but for ore have some metallic-looking rocks instead of bright purple, and possibly no nova. The resources you mine are then traded for other useful materials such as ready-to-build construction materials, armour, weapons and other things. From that you can make your army. For example, to make a stormtrooper you need a blaster and some armour. So you trade your food and carbon for some blasters and armour, then spend a blaster, armour and one population making a trooper.

Only a little bit more complicated than the current system, but more realistic I think.

I think that the current resource system is fine how it is. I happen to like Nova and Ore - even their colours. The area that would need improving in my opinion is the military strategy of the AI. If each civ could have a unique approach to battle then it would be more interesting. For example: Some civs may be better at guerrilla tactics, while others prefer massive organised offensive, etc. Although it could be argued that this should be up to the player to decide. But, variation in AI battle strategy would be nice...

A few thing LA could do to make an original RTS not just things to add too CC.

Keep the rock, paper counter theory. Ie Mounted troopers kill padawans, troopers kill mounted troopers, mountys kill troopers. But make the counter units do more than just counter. eg make the grenade trooper, AA troopers, Sea destroyer etc all be good in there own right.

Make the sea to land/air combat balanced something i've yet to see in an RTS.

Talk to players through a headset.

Change the way you collect the four resources. Mix it all up. Naboo can only get nova from trade carts, Confederacy from building sith's to powship at the sith temple and TF get it from killing units.

What i would really like is it to be completly different playing one civ to the other. Not just tech tree but the way they do things.

The should be more Team/civ bonuses like Gungans being able to walk through water and fish faster and TF to be able to collect +15 res not +10 etc.

Maybe the civs start in T1 when they go to t2 they get to choose a jedi path of an imperial leader to follow. One will give good defence, one good econ and one good for attacking units.

If every game was different from the last it would be the best RTS.

Madrix, I like your idea about the different tactics. Rebels would definitely be a strong guerilla civ. When I heard Rebels had strong troopers I thought it was a bit dumb. In every stand up fight between stormtroopers and rebels the stormtroopers win. Okay, so they had AT-ATs in the Battle of Hoth, but Rebels needed Ewoks to win the Battle of Endor! I guess I'mk mostly referring to the boarding of the Tantive IV, when Rebels had the strategic position but the stormtroopers still slaughtered them.

Anyway, I've strayed a bit, but Rebels DO have good guerillas.

Andy, some of the stuff you've suggested is still just add-ons to CC. But I agree that the went a bit overboard with the anti-unit-units in SWGB.

• 4 weeks later...

Seriously

I still like M$ Game Engines better....

you just have to make it less obvious...

I think JK2 did a great job...it's built from Q3 Engine but then it's alot different from Q3

Btw, SW:GB is pretty much made by Microsoft

Lucasarts asked for help from Microsoft...

they didn't put too much time into it

thatz why...

doesn't matter which game engine it uses, as long as it's 45 degrees like a normal RTS game...

the most important part is that they need to put more time into development

I like the idea of Mining/Gathering Resources - i know that you don't mine resources during War, but you could see the early Tech levels as Pre-War buildup and once you have stores of resources then you can use them for building your Military and "feeding" your War. That is why i like the Econ part of RTS - you can't go to war unless you have resources to do so. Most large battles in SWGB happen in late Tech levels anyway and that is when the Pre-War / Econ buildup is nearly finished anyway...

I was thinking maybe instead of having workers mine you just build a mining building over resources, and each mining building would cost something to run.

I'd make resources something generic, and more realistic than bright green nova and bright purple ore. I think I'd have metal ore deposits and gas pockets. The metal ore would be on the ground, and you might have to use a prospector or something to find it. You then get a worker to build a refinery over the top of it. The reources would be essentially renewable, but each refinery can only get a certain amount so you have to expand and build more for a good economy. Similarly with gas, except you need to build a floating refinery that looks a bit like Cloud City to get at the gas. You could also research upgrades for each refinery indivdually so they can get more resources.

Keep in mind it's just a generic gas, not tibanna gas.

Originally posted by Admiral Vostok

I was thinking maybe instead of having workers mine you just build a mining building over resources, and each mining building would cost something to run.

pardon me for deleting....

well...hmmm

in fact i've seen a game very similar to the idea u proposed

and it's called "enemy nation"

in that u just build mining structure over natural resource and then u'll get the resource autometically

but then the game also includes refinary, smelter...and also trucks for transporting...

hmmm :p

the natural resource thing...it may work , maybe let workers garrison to mine faster???

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

That's actually a nice idea. But we should keep workers building buildings.

wait which one u talking about?

building mining structure and let workers garrison to increase mining speed?

or the Enemy Nations smelter, refinery thing?

the smelter, refinery does some cool doesn't

but then in that game, there are so many natural resources, Coal, Iron, Oil, Wood, Xilium (some ghetto nova crystal thing, used to make tanks)

and u need smelter to make steel, and ur trucks willl have to transport coal and iron to smelter in order to produce steel

and...wood, just cut them down

oil needs to be refined by refinery

and....guess that's all

oh yeah, there is Farm , too

the farm will produce food autometically, as long as they are on flat and fertile ground...no replantation

and there are powerplants too...

well Enemy Nation is kinda different tho

food is only used to feed ur colonists (eh u are on a space mission), not for troop building

u will only need wood, steel and xilium for building tanks..

and...ur tanks and other military units will not operate if u don't have enuff population (maybe be not enuff apartments, not enuff food...blah blah blah)

if we want the same stuff in SWGB 2, gotta simplify it to just mining structure and farms...otherwise it'd be too complicated

Arthur2 - Obviously you would keep gathering resources - it just becomes less of a focus in late Techs - most of your resource gatherers should be set up and continue without much help / micro...

Summary: Early Tech = Econ focused, Late Tech = War focused -that was all that i was trying to point out...

;)

Yeah, garrisoning workers is a good idea. But there would have to be a limit of ten or something for each refinery.

I like this idea because it also adds some protection to your resources, you can't just have a scout come up and piss off your workers so they don't mine. You could maybe even get an upgrade later on in the game for the refineries to have an attack, like a weak turret as protection.

I'd like to see farms go in SWGB2. They don't fit that well into Star Wars. I think two simple resources, metal ore (on the ground) and gas (in the air) would be good (maybe a bit similar to StarCraft, but different enough, and not as similar as nova = gold, ore = stone). Can anyone think of a third or even fourth resource that would fit really well in SWGB2?

well IF u gonna add defense to refineries...then don't make it too strong...

argh, two resource is too limited...it will turn this game into a blizzard-style game (in a sense).

Maybe Food, Metal, Gas and some sort of Crystal?

or maybe just Food, Metal , Gas and Carbon

I don't think it matters that much though...

Archived