Home

Converting JK2 Demo to AVI/MPEG

smithy

what you need to do is playback the demo using whatever JO uses as the avi command. In some quake based engines this is "cl_avi n" where n is the number of frames you want per second. I don't know if JO uses "cl_avi" or a variation of that - someone else here surely knows.

So anyway, after you've played the demo back with that command you will have n x seconds number of images in your JO directory that are basically screenshots. For example, if you chose 30 as your value of FPS and your demo is 60 seconds long, you'll have about 1800 images to work with.

Then you would take something like Bink or Smacker (available from Rad Game Tools for free) and they will combine those images into an AVI or MPEG (depending upon what codecs you have installed locally).

After that finishes, you are ready to distribute.

HTH

Originally posted by Shadow Blight

the code is cl_avidemo xx (xx-frames per second)

Also it helps to reduce the screen to a lower res. 800x600 lower and or in a window

:cool::D:cool:

and when does the movie start "filming" ?

do i need to push anything or does it start automaticly

I am currently making a JKII Movie Production but i dont use bink to convert the demos to avi i use something else. I use cl_avidemo 10 cause 20 and 30 go to fast. our jkii movie is going to be complete with voice acting if interested im on the zone all the time as CM_Ronin1

To: 'TheOne@darkforces.thegamingunion.com'

Cc: Gummelt, Mike

Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 5:41 PM

Subject: RE: Recording SP Demos in JKII?

No go in sp. Only in mp.

To export to a heap of screen shots in SP, get a really fast computer, and use avi_demo 10 or 30. (or -10 for tgas instead of jpgs)

-James

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 11:39 AM

To: Monroe, James

Subject: FW: Recording SP Demos in JKII?

Can't be done in SP, no?

Michael Chang Gummelt

Gameplay Programmer: Jedi Knight II

Raven Software

http://www.ravensoft.com

-----Original Message-----

From: Richard Pertwee [mailto:TheOne@darkforces.thegamingunion.com]

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 7:05 AM

To: mgummelt@ravensoft.com

Subject: Recording SP Demos in JKII?

Hi there Mike,

Recently I've been experimenting with recording demos in JKII and then exporting them to a heap of screenshots, then re-assembling them in Adobe Premiere. It seems that the Quake 3 engine is set up for the video editing community :)

Anyway, I'm working on a Single Player mod for JKII and at some point soon we will producing a trailer for our mod. I have tried and tried but I can't figure out how to record a demo in Single Player. The command used in Multi Player does not work in SP. Presumably you know how it is done - could you help me (and others) please? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou very much!

Richard

you can make movies in multiplayer easily by just doing cg_avidemo 10 or is it cl ? try both then using a special unique software you can convert the game demos to AVI I cant release too much info yet but once our movie is released we will explain all the details in a special behind the scenes portion that will be released to all once our domain is launched you can check out more about it it currently isnt up yet cause they are processing my order so it might be a day or two the url is http://www.roleplayersinc.com

We could use a steady cast for our movie so we can finally finish it we get a lot of people who say they are interested and we never hear from them again :(

Originally posted by SSO_DarthVader_

I'm asking how to put the codec in Bink, I looked around and really didn't see anything. Thats whats holding me up.

Bink has it's own codec. It isn't supported by Quicktime or Windows Media Player. You gotta use Bink to play Bink files but I believe it's possible to create executable Bink files with the Bink software. Bink! Bink! Bink! :)

Razor Ace

I hate to say this, but some of you are overlooking the obvious. go get a cheap a$$ PCI video card with Coaxial out (old ATI AllInWonder Pro 8Meg costs about 10 $ nowadays). Run a dual monitor system and hook that coaxial out up to a VCR and record it with a VHS tape. Then just dub it back into the PC as an MPEG or AVI file :).

Archived