Home

State of the Game

Sithmaster_821

Guest DarthMaulUK

Online, the scenario gaming is as busy as ever with over 250 playing really naff scenarios. Not many are any good.

I play mostly offline now as I find it difficult to get a decent game of RM. I don't think the game is dead yet and I am hoping with the release of Saga, it will bring even more people to this game with the new low price point.

It's always good to talk about sequels and I just have this feeling we will see a SWGB 2. - when? I dont know.

DMUK

I don't know that a game is really dead just because people talk about the sequels (any more than the various Star Wars movies are dead because people are prophesizing about Ep III). I DO think that there won't be another expansion pack for GB (much as I want one), however. Either way, it's fun to think of ways to expand on the game in a sequel, or even an expansion. :)

Kryllith

I didnt mean that the game was dead (i still play online alot, it is a good game after all). I was just saying that it was moving in that direction. The sequel posts mean (to an outsider) that the community is ready to move on. The game itself is still going strong. I just wanted to point out we may have just passed the crest of its life span and it is going down from jere on out.

i dunno about dead... i got this a few months ago, never having played aoe or anything else and i'm addicted. i had a week off from work and barely left my computer off.

the scenarios are played mostly because people either suck at RM due to n00b hunters, or people want to play with heroes which they cant in RMs. n00b hunters don't prove anything other than the fact that they're a-holes.

i love RMs. i get housed in inter games usually, unless my base gets hidden to avoid the t3 mech rush that kills me all the time. but i romp the rook games. (sorry about that w0rf :D ) no i dont rush them... it's too easy.

i think a big part of the lack of RMs is that n00bs get wrecked and dont bother learning how to get any better. so they play scenarios and the other dorks who lose create the senate scenarios so they CAN'T lose by adding 8000 triggers for an unfair game. and they STILL barely win sometimes...

anyway, just my 2 cents.

I play it all the time. The reason why I talk about a possibly sequel or expansion pack is several reasons:

1. They haven't add all of the star wars characters

2. I am giving suggestions and ideas in hopes that lucasarts or a representive is actually reading some of threads and get feedback.

3. There are things I am disappointted in the game. The total population being only 250 units. needs to be 500 units

4. Bad cheats for the 3 big ships. They are not to scale and they are easy to kill with anti-air and fighters with exception of the death star. They need to add lots of shields and armor and change the weapons to 4-5 powerful lasers instead of using air cruiser attack. I disliked the air cruiser. That wasn't even in the movies, novels or comics.

5. Lack of snowtroopers, rebel hoth troopers, imperial interrgator droids, actual scout troopers on speeder bikes (ROTJ), rebel endor troopers, imperial officers and guards as toy box units

6. AT-AT is easy to defeat, needs more shields and armor.

7. No capital ships available to build or even use as toy box units. There is only the three cheats for the 3 big ships. Need to include mon calamari cruiser, esort frigate, corellian corvette, Star destroyer imperial class I and II, Super Star Destroyer, Death Star I and II, Trade Federation Battleships, Rebel Assualt Ship, Royal Yacht, Royal Cruiser, and Queen's ship. Not the crappy ones that are landed in the scenario editor.

Add Tie Advanced and Imperial lamda class shuttle to airbase. For goodness sake, Add B-wing and V-wing to rebel airbase maybe millenium falcon.

8. Make Capital ships to scale and have powerful shields and armor and difficult to kill.

9. Add Admiral and Captain Piett, General NAdine, General Riekkan, Admiral Ackbar, Mon montha, Moff Tarkin, Moff Jerrod(ROTJ), Admiral Ozzel, Admiral Thrawn, Prince Xizor as Toy Box Units.

Most important change:

In empire airbase, change the airbase so you can make Tie fighters, Tie interceptor, Tie defender, Tie advanced, Tie Bomber, Imperial Lander, and Imperial lamda class shuttle at the same time. I mean come on, The movies had interceptor, advanced, bombers and fighters build at the same time. They just don't make one kind at a time.:deathstar:deathii:

Originally posted by Sithmaster_821

I didnt mean that the game was dead (i still play online alot, it is a good game after all). I was just saying that it was moving in that direction. The sequel posts mean (to an outsider) that the community is ready to move on. The game itself is still going strong. I just wanted to point out we may have just passed the crest of its life span and it is going down from jere on out.

Well, ok, if you mean "dead" by means that LucasArts won't be updating it anymore via expansion packs then yeah, I have to agree. Could be wrong of course, but I figure they're more likely to release SWGB 2 than another x-pack for GB. And yeah, the posts to seem to be leaning more towards what could be done in 2 rather than what could be added to 1.

Kryllith

My post is filled with valid suggestions and idea for improvements in an expansion pack and sequel. I don't know why people think I am going overboard. I am just trying to make the game more complete and have most the units from the 5 movies. Some people take my words the wrong way. I have no idea why they do.

Who cares about gameplay? I want realism. Something close to the star wars movies and expanded universe. Each civilation had their strengths and weaknessses and i wish they would show it. That is my opinion. If you are offended or don't like it, too bad. Because it is my idea and suggestions and you don't have to read my replies. I don't care about civilations being balanced. Only people who are video game addicts care about balance. I give good ideas and suggestions. There has been no word from lucasarts.com about any expansion pack or sequel. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter what he or she thinks. Untill there is word of any sequel or whatever and the specifics of the game I will continue to add my ideas and suggestions.

Originally posted by joesdomain

(1) Who cares about gameplay? I want realism. Something close to the star wars movies and expanded universe. Each civilation had their strengths and weaknessses and i wish they would show it. That is my opinion. If you are offended or don't like it, too bad. Because it is my idea and suggestions and you don't have to read my replies. (2) I don't care about civilations being balanced. (3) Only people who are video game addicts care about balance. (4) I give good ideas and suggestions. There has been no word from lucasarts.com about any expansion pack or sequel. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter what he or she thinks. (5) Untill there is word of any sequel or whatever and the specifics of the game I will continue to add my ideas and suggestions.

1 - OMG, please tell me you are joking. This game is an RTS with MULTIPLAYER, and must be balanced. gameplay is more important to a game than realism.

2 - That statement makes it very clear you are a scenario n00b. Or maybe just a learning campaign n00b.

3 - So you are saying that everyone who plays this game and would prefer not to have one all-powerful unit is a video game addict? Sorry, I know I tend to call people stupid too much, but that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. It even rivals DK_Viceroy's posts. Do you want a Death Star to beat the AI on easiest with?

4 - No, you give ideas and suggestions. The good part is very debatable.

5 - You sound a lot like Darth Windu there - are you sure you're not a DL or something?

You should consider joining forces with Windu. Together the two of you can make a game where the Republic wins all the time with its Jedi and Gunship Aircruisers, and roaching is a great tactic unless you are playing against the Rebels. You would probably agree on everything, since Windu has many unbalanced ideas and you really don't care about balance. That way you can play the best civ and make the AI the worst civ, and you can win a game for the first time. But you can both be sad when no one buys it.

Your posts tell me you would probably be very good at making a pointless scenario. Just make sure you give yourself enough Death Stars to beat the AI starting workers with.

You guys are getting away from the topic. I don't know who this windu guy is. I don't care about the gunship idea. I am trying my best to come with ideas of making the game similar to the actual movies. I am tired of units being created just for video games. I am tired of units being left out becuase they want a bunch of civilations like 15 or 20. I am especially sick of all you making fun of people who like realistic video games which are unbalanced. It is fine that you have your own opinion but don't make fun and critize other people's opinions. I am no scenario editor person. I play death match in single player most the time. For one, Death Star could be alot of money. They could increase Nova, Ore, Carbon, and Food and there amounts. You people think following the norm's of every RTS and strategy game is the thing. Star Wars is a totalling different universe than command and conquer, age of empires, warcraft, starcraft or whatever game it is. It has alot more characters, vehicles, ships, aircraft, buildings, species, etc. It is easy to make a game complete and have all the fancy features of normal RTS games but this is star wars. Star Wars needs to set a new standard because this game was based off movies, novels, and comics. Balance is important for games that are not from movies but realism is equal or more important. Whether you want to believe that. Alot of you have already made your mind and won't change so I am going to quit talking.

You want Capital Ships to scale, they would be the size of a map.

Capital Ships you want Cannot enter the atmosphere. If they are to scale then you could fit 1 on the screen.

Realism would mean less units. Since you want a Canon game, you would only have a couple of units per civ, or variants.

For instance:

Empire would get.

AT-AT

AT-ST

Stormtroopers/snowtroopers/desert troopers.

Imperial Officers

Tie Fighter, Tie Interceptor, Tie Bomber

Lamda Class Shuttle

Rebels:

Naval Soilder/Hoth Soldier/Endor

X-wing, Y-wing, A-Wing, B-wing, Snowspeeder.

And that one transport ship.

You really want variants on the same unit, which can be easily done. For instance on a snow map instead of having Stormtrooper art, it is repleaced by snowtrooper art.

Interregator droids are used inside a base not outside.

The Game you want is not possible for SWGB, at least it is not pratical.

Personally I prefer more units and special units over clarity, etc. I am sure it is practical with today's technology. If they have to then make the RAM requirements at 128 MB, 32 or 64 MB video card with 3-D acceleration, and require a faster CPU like Pentium III or IV's. I would gladly pay for upgrades to my computer in order to get a realistic game with quality. They even have 128 MB video cards and Pentium 4 2 GB and RAM that is 256 MB and 512 MB. I think alot more people are buying computer games and computers.

Joe, im sorry, you were very innocent but i have to say something. Gameplay in a game, whether its singleplayer, multiplayer, learning campaign, whatever is of upmost importance in a game. Unbalanced games are no fun, no matter at what level you player. I played AoK for a year on single player, i know that balancing games in single player is still very important. Who wants the game to be decided if the comp choses a certain civ. Gameplay is what makes games fun, realism is what maakes games relavent. I will congradulate you on one thing. I never had the guts to post online until i was a multiplayer player. I had some good ideas but even now my italian and inca civ ideas sit in my desk drawer, never reaching the internet.:(

Simwiz, jeez calm down. You never played singleplayer actively and you dont know what its like. Calling people stupid because they dont play the game the same way you do is wrong. Stupid is my brother playing the learning campaign 50 times in AoK (if he starts talking in a scottish accent again, im gonna punch him).

Admiral, do you follow AoM by any chance (i read your sig)?

The reason i think there is so much talk about a possible SW:GB 2, in my opinion, is because of the limitations of the first game. Now that people have had a taste of a reasonable star wars RTS, the community now wants a star wars RTS that reflects the star wars universe better and with newer graphics, better gameplay etc.

Originally posted by Darth Windu

Now that people have had a taste of a reasonable star wars RTS, the community now wants a star wars RTS that reflects the star wars universe better and with newer graphics, better gameplay etc.

What the hell are you talking about? Who are these people? And what is this "reasonable" RTS you speak of?

And in regards to mixing the movie and EU stuff... i realize they already do to a small extent... but do you EU dorks realize that there's a HUGE portion of the Star Wars fan base that doesn't know, or even give 2 s's about the EU? I sure as hell don't. They obviously don't have anything to do with the movies anyway. As said by the movie producers themselves.

I used my itailan and inca thing to show what happens when you cont have the nerve to post your ideas online. My ideas were only for AoK, and im not intrested in the incas or the itailans because they are incas and itailans. I proposed them in AoK because i thought that they played a big part in the time period and had some intresting gameplay benefits.

As for RoN, the only way ill buy it is some severe lobbying on the part of simwiz (i got him hooked on AoM but hes no where as persuasive as i am).

Archived