Home

New Art for SW:GB2?

Darth Windu

I was wiondering what art changes people would like for a possible SW:GB2. Personally i would like to see-

1. Capital ships for air cruisers (ie republic assault ship, tf battleship)

2. Alien jedi as well as human, with a 1:1 green:blue lightsabre ratio (all random)

3. Civ specific weapon colours (ie all tf units - red, all republic units - blue, all empire units - green etc)

Another idea-

4. Make Jedi look more like the movie jedi (from ep1 and 2)

with the lasrer colour thing, the reason i suggested that is because in the movies, the civ's have distinct lasrer colours-

Naboo - Green

Republic - Blue

Trade Federation - Red

Rebels - Red

Empire - Green

Gungans - Blue

Wookies - Red

Confederacy - not sure (i think its red)

Actually, for the empire change that to red with the exception of green for fighters.

The civ-specific weapon colours is mainly do make them more different in terms of art, and to increase realism.

As for the jedi thing, the master's all look like Obi-Wan out of Episode 4. I would much prefer it if they looked like the master's out of episode 2, they just look more like big bad jedi to me. Also, i would like the art for padawan's changed, i've never seen a padawan running around with a big coloured jacket on...

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of differentiating colours for the sabers - that's what i was hoping to see in SWGB 1, but hopefully this will happen in SWGB 2.

As far as the colour of civs goes - i think the player should choose what colour scheme he wants for which civ, but you could have a default setting to follow the colours scheme of the movies...

Arrgh! Stop asking for Capital Ships! If you keep asking they may one day cave on this and capital ships would look just too pathetic in a GB game. The last thing I want to see is some dinky little Star Destroyer going across the screen that's overshadowed even by an Imperial Walker.

It is a LAND BASED game. Capital ships only belong in a SPACE BASED RTS game. Where capital ships are the main units and a squadron of fighters are grouped togehter as a single "unit".

You keep asking for the wrong thing. If you want capital ships then ask for a game that they actually fit into. But let's keep them out of GB2.

Personally I'm eagerly awaiting either an announcement for GB2 or a fleet based RTS game. I'd love to see either or both.

General, i think you are outnumbered in the Capital Ships idea! If you check my Poll on Cap Ships we were also talking about a different RTS entirely - a space RTS that works, actually. I agree that it probably wouldn't work in SWGB 1, but does SWGB 2 have to be exactly the same engine, AI, terrain, etc.???

Personally i think SWGB 1 in it's current form is complete - SWGB 2 should be something refreshing - not AoE ver. 5...

I want to see Capital ships in Galactic Battlegrounds and Clone Campaigns. I don't like using the star destroyer and corellian corvette cheats. If this game has ground battles, sea battles, and air battles then it can have space battles. They can make an expansion pack that added a space combat mode or something. There has been no true evidence that proves capital ships are space only ships. The only person who knows for sure is George Lucas and a select few of his friends.

Yeah, let's just put the Death Star in there while we're at it. We'll just scale it down to the size of a tank so it will fit on the map. Then we can push a button and instantly blow up the map destroying everybody in the first 3 secs of the game.

You do realize that if you were going to be true to the movies a single Star Destoyer could destroy every single army all by itself in an 8 player game? That in order for it to look half way decent it would have to cover the entire map?

It is completely out of scale for a game like GB. And in any case most capital ships don't look like they could even enter an atmosphere.

And I still don't remember Admiral Piett supporting General Veers by taking his Super Star Destroyer down to the Rebel base. I don't remember any Star Destroyers going down to support Imperial forces on Endor either.

Repeat after me: CAPITAL SHIPS ARE USED FOR SPACE BATTLES.

You want to destroy what little Star Wars feel is still in the game.

If LucasArts announced tomorrow that they were making a Galactic BattleFleets RTS game would you still want Capital Ships in Galactic BattleGrounds 2?

General Nilar:

I said Capital ship!!!! I did not say Death Star. I can tell you right now most the units are not to scale right now. The troopers are alot bigger than what they should be. The aircraft are the not to scale. I am sure they could make a half decent star destroyer. Maybe a little bit bigger than the star destroyer cheat The capital ships need to have powerful lasers not air cruiser attack. This game lost alot of it's star wars feel when they added non-canon units and leaving out canon units. Yes, if they made a star wars space combat rts game and Galactic Battlegrounds 2 with capital ships I would buy them both.

They could add a single player space combat map with a building that built capital ships and you can duke it out between civ.'s. GB should of had a little of Star Wars Rebellion in it. They should done it similar to that.

I think what you want is a game that does everything. What you would actually get is a game that TRIED to do everything but did nothing well.

I also think you're coming at this from a single player and scenario gamer point of view instead of a Random Map point of view.

That thing about the Death Star was sarcasm, but if you're going to ask for a Star Destroyer you might as well. Sure the current units are out of scale and that's fine with me. Force Commander was in scale for the most part and the infantry looked horrible. There is such a thing as taking it to far though. And including capital ships is definetly it.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I have nothing against non-canon units if they add to the gameplay. And I don't think EVERY canon unit needs to be in it when they don't belong in that type of game.

Star Wars fans need to realize that there's only one more movie left to go. That's all there will EVER be. Better start accepting new stuff from other sources or the Star Wars universe is going to get stale REAL fast.

I must say that it would be nice to see Capital Ships in SWGB 2 - but in SWGB 1 it won't work.

Joesdomain - following on from our discussion in my Capital Ships poll, i thought we already agreed that it would be much better to see Capital Ships in a Space-based RTS game - not land based? I don't think Capital Ships could enter the atmosphere - but your suggestion about an expansion with a space-combat mode is more realistic...

Originally posted by Darth Windu

What's wrong with replacing the current air-cruiser art with canon capitol ship art? It wouldnt affect gameplay at all, yet it would increase realism. Im all for it.

Riight...a air cruiser is kinda small...smaller than a command center. A capitol ship is the size of about 30! command centers...gah that "It wouldnt affect gameplay at all, yet it would increase realism" thing is driving me insane...er more insane:D

You dont even know how big a command center would actually be, so comparing them to Capitol ships is impossible. I would also like to point out that other units in the game, such as the AT-AT, Republic Transport and Rebel Transport arent to scale with everything else in the game, so why does it matter that the Capitol ships would be a bit smaller than they perhaps should be?

Windu, have you voted on my "Add Capital Ships or not" Poll yet? Perhaps you should check it out...

At first i thought that it would be a good idea to replace Air Cruisers with Capital Ships from an Art point of view, but i think it would be better if a new space-combat RTS was born - then we could have some serious fun with a NEW type of RTS... :deathii:

You think having Star Destroyers hovering above the surface of the planet and only firing with a fraction of their firepower is more realistic than the Empire developing an aircraft to support it's mechs in a surface engagement? Even in the Battle of Genosis you don't see capital ships directly aiding the ground forces.

Why do you have such a problem with seeing something new? Even if they switched to capital ships there would still be non-cannon units in the game. And it would actually be LESS realistic than it is now because you NEVER see capital ships involved in ground combat in the series. And they would be totally out of scale in both size and fire power. Yes it's not perfectly to scale now, and it shouldn't be, but that would be going to far.

They should be in their OWN game. They should NOT be in a ground combat game.

I say bring on Star Wars: Galactic FleetBattles! Admiral Nilaar is ready for duty! ;)

Archived