Home

jk3 (rumor based on LEC survey)

Dystopia

Originally posted by Emon

I think a sequel so soon would be EXTREMELY BAD. There are tons of people and modders working on big projects, and they're going to be real pissed if after just a few months there's a new game that everyone's switched to.

An expansion pack using the same engine would be ideal. Modders can very easily port their stuff to it, and it lengthens the life of the game.

Plus, I highly doubt they would make a whole new game so we can find out what happens to Tavion. An expansion is much more likely, especially considering they made one for JK.

I agree - it would be better for the community as a whole (except, of course, for those who are already convinced JKII is 'dead' and that we should be up to JKXXII by the time EpIII comes out) for there to be a few years before a new game.

I think the expansion pack idea is a good one - build on an existing code base, from an existing storyline, with an existing developer. Fairly quick turn, brings price down, keeps 'full price' interest in the game strong.

As I've said, I definitely hope for such an expansion early next year, and would absolutly love to see a multi-dimensional RMG. Take the SoFII RMG, add new characters, and add indoor (i.e. star destroyer / death star locales) to the swamp / snow / whatever presets, and it would be fantastic!

Mike

JK3 might be a good idea, but I think it would need:

• More force powers (like JK1), but no need to select good or evil (JK2)
  • Better bots (I think the Stormtroopers in JK2 are humans with no brain whatsoever)
  • More chars in MP than in JK2 (this is not critical - there is a GOOD selection, but why not more?)
  • An editing package

From a few messages further up...

If you want your backstab/sweep to do lots of damage but not descend into pull+backsweep fights, you could tweak it such that in MP, Force Pull does not pull people towards you. You could make it like JK1 where it pulls the gun out of someone's hand, and you could keep it as a way to counteract push, but it wouldn't pull people towards you or knock them over.

Extreme, but problem solved. You keep the sabre as a dangerous weapon, and you don't have pull+backstab spamming.

However, the overall problem was that backstabs/sweeps were a more efficient and easier way of getting a kill than attacking front/side on - so you just need to make other attacks more effective and backsweeps a little more difficult, and then there's less incentive to use them.

But yeah - massively bump up the sabre damage.

Originally posted by txa1265

... but will it be called Revenge of the Gonks?

Can I start tying some of your posts together ... ? And if so, does the acronym RMG tie in anywhere there ... ?

Mike

I highly doubt it will be called revenge of the gonks, even though I did kill a lot of the little bastards.

and you'll have to update me on my acronyms.... this one eludes me

Originally posted by GonkH8er

I highly doubt it will be called revenge of the gonks, even though I did kill a lot of the little bastards.

and you'll have to update me on my acronyms.... this one eludes me

RMG - Random Map Generator.

The technology that Raven innovated into Soldier of Fortune II that allows you to select some settings (or even input a 'seed' value) and it will generate a mission with a map. The missions are basically a medium-sized level (they mainly take <30 minutes) and are pretty fun. It is a decent way of extending Single Player.

I would love to see that implemented into a JK expansion - small missions where you would choose to play a Jedi or Dark Jedi or Merc, and choose your terrain, indoors/outdoors, and mission type. Perhaps as a Dark Jedi you'd have to eliminate a light jedi or something ...

Mike

(Sorry, I work in the semiconductor industry, which is overly acronym-laden ... so I immediately adapt to new acronyms ...)

Originally posted by GonkH8er

oh, yeah

*slaps head*

of course

gazes into 8-ball of truth.

"Will the expansion have an RMG?"

-------

"Outlook not so good"

--------

Thanks ... my 8-ball kept coming up with " How the f... should I know?" :D

Too bad, really - I figured with the LucasArts / Raven connection, there was a 50% chance. However, I do know that the RMG was a major stumbling block in getting SoFII out the door. And it is a fairly simple (especially simple since I didn't have to code it ;)) inplementation there ... maps are all outdoors and look and feel fairly similar. But it is fun.

I can only imagine that the coding hurdles of taking on added modes - different characters, for one, would require adapting enemies, as a Merc mode with a half-dozen Reborn to face would be an exercise in ... well, repeated death.

Thanks again GonkH8er!

Mike

Originally posted by Lord_Plo_Koon

Does anyone know how to get an idea to Lucas Arts. My friends and I have come up with the best game idea ever if you want the ful storey go here: http://www.geocties.com/mastersofthejedi/idea

tell me what you think. If I can't get Lucas Arts to listen I will make it a mod.

I can't get at that page - any chance of pasting it into this thread?

Mike

I filled in that form about Jedi Outcast and the possibility of another in the series.

I definitely think there should be a JKIII...and it's good to see they are getting feedback now, because I would truly hope they spent a great deal more development time on another installment in the series.

Don't get me wrong, I think Raven did an exemplary job in the development time available for Jedi Outcast...but the game did have issues, including some very noticeable bugs.

I would hope that another game in this series was given at least a 2 year development cycle, so in those terms, concepts need to be thrashed out soon to come up with a game profile, so we can have another game in around 3 years. And although JO looks great and plays great, I still think it would be even better in a different engine, possibly the newest build of the Unreal engine. I'm not so sure about DOOM III, which from what I've read around the net seems to be focusing more on cramped and atmospheric interior levels. Star Wars games definitely have to have expansive outside areas with really long drops to play around in. :D

In the meantime, work should probably also begin on an expansion to JO, to keep the game current, add new features, maps, game modes, etc., and basically keep the game on the map and in gamer's minds. The last thing I want is to wait another 4 years plus for another game in this series.

Originally posted by StormHammer

I filled in that form about Jedi Outcast and the possibility of another in the series.

I definitely think there should be a JKIII...and it's good to see they are getting feedback now, because I would truly hope they spent a great deal more development time on another installment in the series.

Don't get me wrong, I think Raven did an exemplary job in the development time available for Jedi Outcast...but the game did have issues, including some very noticeable bugs.

I would hope that another game in this series was given at least a 2 year development cycle, so in those terms, concepts need to be thrashed out soon to come up with a game profile, so we can have another game in around 3 years. And although JO looks great and plays great, I still think it would be even better in a different engine, possibly the newest build of the Unreal engine. I'm not so sure about DOOM III, which from what I've read around the net seems to be focusing more on cramped and atmospheric interior levels. Star Wars games definitely have to have expansive outside areas with really long drops to play around in. :D

In the meantime, work should probably also begin on an expansion to JO, to keep the game current, add new features, maps, game modes, etc., and basically keep the game on the map and in gamer's minds. The last thing I want is to wait another 4 years plus for another game in this series.

Hmmm ...

Are you referring to SP or MP? What very noticable bugs?

As for the engine, remember what was being said about the Q3 engine right up until JKII? It couldn't handle significant outdoor environments? Even despite RtCW and MoH - it was JKII that finally shut people up. Not disagreeing - I just think that it is too early to tell. It will also depend on the team used to develop the next game.

I definitely agree with the expansion ideas. But I wonder how much can be implemented/changed in terms of SP? Can they add Force Powers? Make it more RPG again? Or just a set of levels? And what for MP?

Mike

Archived