Home

Fps

00M-187

\cg_drawFPS 1 (tells you what you are getting)

\com_maxFPS ??? ??? = the max # you will be able to get, by default it is set at around 80 or 90 (can't remember).

A lot of people like to set it really high so they can say "Hey I can get 200 fps!"

This serves no purpose; anything over 90 will look the same to human eyes.

Actually setting the limit very high can eat up resources (making your rig draw the same stuff at a faster speed) and actually slow you down.

If you wish to learn how to max out your frame rate go here:

http://www.planetquake.com/q3console/tweaking.asp

Since I have VSync on, my FPS is at a constant 42fps with 2x AntiAlias on.

VSync synchronizes your FPS to your Monitor refresh rate. It may slow your FPS from it's optimum potential, but it also prevents it from erratic FPS jumps.

I could turn VSync off and have it shoot up to 80 then down to 30 at random moments in an FFA, but I'd much rather have it at a unwavering 42 FPS.

Contrary to what you might think, 42 FPS isn't that bad compared to the 22 FPS I got in CS with a TNT2 ;) .

Originally posted by Jah Warrior

type this for a FPS boost:-

com_maxfps 200

and turn off VSYNC, currently running at 140+ fps and thats on a demanding map.

Where do you turn off vsync? And thanks to everybody except Filler_Fett for your help. I just want the game to run smoother, its a little jumpy. What would be an ideal command?

I have

P3 450

ADSL

G3force 4 Ti 128 mb

224 mb ram

OOM, no offense but I've told you before. You can't really get much more performance out of your rig with a processor that's only 450 mhz. You can add ram, that will help a little. But as for settings, despite your graphics card, you should have all medium detail settings. You processor just isn't good enough for the level of games that are being produced.

Lord Oz is correct. I have a P3 500, GF4 Ti 4200, 320MB RAM. It runs JK2MP at about 40fps (60fps on smaller duel maps). On the other hand, my laptop (P4M 1.6Ghz, GF4 420 Go, 512MB RAM) runs at least 80fps all the time (except on a couple of really demanding maps). JK2 (as I've heard) is a CPU intensive game, although the video card on my desktop rocks, I won't be able to get any more out of the game.

Dude you *can tweak the living Hell outta the Quake 3 engine to compensate for a low-end CPU.

I'm going to warn you though; your game will be Fugly to say the least.

That link I posted shows you what to eliminate in regards to frame rate optimization.

I used that exact page (along with a few other tweaks) to run at over 100 FPS (on an AMDK62 350MHZ/Voodoo 3 16 MEG card) in a Quake 3 death match server with *30* players.

I won't lie, the changes took a while to get used to, but the pure constant speed gave me a major edge over all the people who were lagged down by all the crap on their screens.

One major thing people overlook, is TURN ALL THE CRAP IN YOUR TASKBAR OFF!

Any idle programs eat CPU/Memory; shut everything but the game/firewall/third party browser off.

JK2 is Quake 3 engine based, but it does eat way more resources so don't expect total perfection.

A lot of the stuff in the Q3 engine eats CPU/Card resources yet, when turned off you see no difference visually. Just play around with those settings until you find what you like.

I run a P4 1.7 (Rambus) and a G4 ti4600 yet I still do a little tweaking for full performance.

Archived