Home

Masters of the Force: Release 1

razorace

Hi all, I'm just creating this so people can comment on Release 1 of MotF. The main thread for this Mod is here. I'll be continuously checking and commenting in this thread while Release 1 is the current version of the Mod. Currently, Release 1 doesn't exist yet, but it will hopefully soon. Y, ASk, and I have been doing some serious work on the design and we think the results are going to be great. The current plans for Release 1 is to impliment just the Dodge Skill. We could include more stuff if people want, but that would push back the release date.

And, no, I don't know/can't estimate WHEN Release 1 will be finished, DON'T ASK! I don't like making fake release date estimates.

In addition, I'll not be replying to any other Release 1 thread. It's just too much of a pain to go looking thru the Forum for random posts about the Mod.

Anyway, feedback/suggestions/comments are appreciated.

Razor Ace

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, sorry for the lack of updates. I've been spending my time on other things than updating all the time. :)

Anyway, Release 1 is well on track. Hopefully, it'll be ready to go in about a week. Release 1 will contain that LEAST the following...

Release 1:

1. Dodge fully up and running

2. (1) Super Secret Easter Egg (Two Words: Justice Zone)

Anyway, that's all for now.

Razor Ace

Progess Report 11/9/02:

Got a second compile version of MotF up and running. The easter egg appears to be fully working except for a possible minor bug. As for Dodge, dodge IS operational except I must have screwed up the math SOMEWHERE because both Dodge and FP was regening a LOT faster than they should. This makes everyone invincible to player damage but I should have it fixed soon.

As for the visuals of dodge, I don't feel it's looking as good as I want it to. You only dodge once per saber swing so the blade still passes thru your body most of the time. :p In addition, I don't think the dodge is moving fast enough. On the plus side, it's got a cool real-time, matrix-style motion blur to the dodges that I didn't expect.

So basically, things are well on the way and progessing well. :)

Razor Ace

Progress Report 11/14/02

I now have a bug-free version of the early Release 1 code up and running. Things are taking longer than anticipted to get everything to work/look the way it SHOULD.

Mathmatically, the dodge code is perfect (except for map damage), but right now the visuals don't look "right". A saber swing will still pass thru the body (visually) due to the code only dodging once per attack (due to the way damage is dealt). I'm going to attempt to make the character hop back a little bit, in addition to the visual dodge, to eliminate the problem. Of course, this adds the problem of it being possible to suicide by dodging your way off a cliff. However, it shouldn't be too much of a problem as it's only a slight hop back AND dodge will work for fall deaths as well. On the plus side, this will add a additional point of realism (since you can in fact accidently reflexively dodge your way off a cliff) and encourage players to keep a slight distance from any bottomless pits.

In addition, the current dodge animation priorty is too low. You'll rarely do the dodge animations unless you're not attacking and not have your saber ignited.

As for map damage, the best solution I can think of is to have the game deduct a sizable amount of DP/HP and have the player teleport to a random respawn. This sims the concept of the character surviving the fall (ether thru the Force or a gadget (like a jetpack) and running back up to the combat area). For now this will apply to everyone, but it should be refined later. For example, some characters obviously can't survive a fall like that (like a Storm Trooper) and others can (Jedi/Boba Fett/etc.) In addition, we'll probably create some new map triggers to make this ability more beleivible. Like a trigger location for fall death dodge (like an elevator or a ship that flies up whenever a player dodges the fall death) and a "undodgeable" fall death trigger for locations where you couldn't probably survive the fall (getting knocked out of a airlock or falling off the edge of Cloud City).

If anyone has a better solution to these problems please let me know.

In summary, things are still coming along, so please don't think the project has been abandoned. :)

Razor Ace

Progress Report 11/18/02

ok, people. I got the animation priorty problem fixed as while as various new additions to the system. I'm going to need everyone that wants to be a REAL betatester to contact me. There's a lot of new varibles that need to be twicked for the better feel/balance. Release 1 will be completed soon. :)

Razor Ace

• 3 weeks later...

Progress Report 12/10/02

Sorry about the lack of updates, I was on vacation for turkey week and haven't gotten back into the swing of things until now. Great progress has been made. I'm sorry about the constant pushing back of estimated release dates. Things just keep coming up that just BEG to be messed with (such as the new true lethal weapon damage rates).

Anyway, I'm going to stick to my guns and get this bad boy's Release 1 out the door before Christmas if I can. :)

Razor Ace

Well, I got good news and bad news.

Good News:

I'm confident that the team will have Release 1 ready and out the door by Xmas. Probably before the end of the week.

Bad News:

I screwed up the code, BAD. I've got at least 1 really weird cvar crash bug and the bot animations are screwing up.

Good News:

In progress of screwing up the code, I figured out how to get Dodge Attack to work. For those who don't know what Dodge Attack is, it's the ability to be able to fire your weapons while dodging. It's complicated to get working because I'm dealing with animations/code that were never meant to be used this way. The biggie is making it look good. Fortunately, when me and ACDCFanBill tested the prototype it worked/looked great, so that's not a issue. I was planning to release some screenies but the code got screwed up before I could get the shots. :p

Bad News:

I gotta rewrite the Dodge Attack code.

Good News:

I backed up the code right before I started to mess with the Dodge Attack concept so no good code was lost. (in fact, I didn't 'loss' any code, including the broken stuff. I just have to go back to the latest backup and start from there to insure that I get the stuff to work without bugs.) I should be able to get it working again tomorrow and will hopefully prevent the serious bugs that were plaguing me.

Bad News:

My internet connection sucks.

Good News:

That means that there's a big opportunity for people to betatest for the mod. Just contact me and I'll provide you with some contact information. Using that info, contact me in "person" so I can get you set up and ready to beta test. The only requirements are you've gotta be able to keep all team info/files secret, betatest only with bots or other team members, stay in contact with me, and follow instructions well. This is serious betatesting so we're not exactly just playing the mod. The testing needs change minute to minute while I code, so it's critical that you can communicate with me while I'm awake/coding on the #motf IRC channel. I reserve the right to send you packing if I don't like you or you give me crap. Also, this isn't a free way to get the mod. I do keep track of who gets what so I CAN track you down and bust your ass if you try to leak the mod to the public.

Bad News:

This mod's going to be a bandwidth hog.

Good News:

It's only as bad as JK2 is normally. Dodge is damaged based so it can't be predicted by the clients. Wether it's frame skippy or not directly depends on your connection. Dodge happens very quickly and if you blink/lag, you'll often miss it.

Razor Ace

http://personal.palouse.net/razorace/shot0001.jpg

Ok, there are 3 things I'll say about this screeny.

1. This is the first MotF screenshot EVER. Wooooh!

2. The shot shows Lando in the middle of a Dodge. Note his ducking movement and the afterimage.

3. His shields are flaring because some of the damage got past his Dodge (DP for short). Shields are eventually going to be replaced with more realistic armor. For now, they'll stay.

http://personal.palouse.net/razorace/shot0005.jpg

This is a shot of what the Dodge/weapon Visuals will look like when I'm done. The biggie here is when Lando dodged this disruptor shot, the beam continued pass him and hit the far wall. (The hit flare is coloring Lando's afterimage because it's transparent.)

A interesting tidbit, the prior 5 screenshots actually take up more space than the actual mod. (it's currently around half a meg in size) The team is being sure to keep all the "extras" out of the mod so you only have to d/l the mod instead of the mod + whatever models the creators like. :)

That's the last screenshot for now. I'll open the thread up for Q & A at this time.

I've just uploaded Release 1 to my personal webspace, jediknightii.net, and jk2files.com. Feel free to d/l it from the personal webspace until it's up on the two main sites.

http://personal.palouse.net/razorace/MotFR1.zip

http://www.jk2files.com

http://www.jediknightii.net

Enjoy!

Also, I'm heading home for X-Mas so my dedication to the Mod maybe lacking for a couple of weeks. :)

I'm beat. I'm going to bed.

Happy Christmas,

Razor Ace

Originally posted by razorace

I've just uploaded Release 1 to my personal webspace, jediknightii.net, and jk2files.com. Feel free to d/l it from the personal webspace until it's up on the two main sites.

http://personal.palouse.net/razorace/MotFR1.zip

http://www.jk2files.com

http://www.jediknightii.net

Enjoy!

Also, I'm heading home for X-Mas so my dedication to the Mod maybe lacking for a couple of weeks. :)

I'm beat. I'm going to bed.

Happy Christmas,

Razor Ace

Glad to hear your progress, Razorace! The community is sure to be helped out by another major mod being available. I'll be sure to check it out soon.

I love the mod razor. And I agree with FenixDown, sabre fighting IS more fun with this mod on. Huge portions of the game havent changed, its got some simple beautiful changes. Few things id LOVE to see

1)Everything discussed in your dev thread, including the jetpack mod, more realistic shields, a new HUD, and the class-like system u discussed

2)I was told they make no matter in a fight, but some people love em for the look. two sabres, and a dbl sabre

3)Emotes are fun :)

THings IMHO that ruin a mod

1)Hilts hilts hilts wtf, you can barely see the hilts as is, and the default one is fine! Waste of time and messy UI IMHO

Very nice work RazorAce!

It is quite fun playing with your mod, you feel more 'jedi-ish'

And you can kill people in 3 shots with the blaster now, it makes the game more realistic rather than doing 20 shots to kill someone!

Rating 8.6/10

Could use some emotes, make the new HUD look better, and its quite hard to kill someone with a saber when you have a saber to.

Keep working on this mod, vert good :nod:

did a little test today and i love it .

unfortunately,a few people were complaining saying duels took to long,oh well for them

1. If they don't complain to me directly, I can't know about it.

2. Duels are SUPPOSE to last a while. When was the last time you've seen a 30 saber duel in one of the movies. :)

3. A lot of the current saber "problems" in inherent to the Raven's mindset for the saber code. I'm planning on redoing that after I finish up some details on Dodge and impliment Herr's better hitzone code.

it's excellent...

...saber fighting seems to be more fun when this mod is in use.

Thanks, I think so too. :)

More replies later.

Archived