Home

whats a noob!

slimking

Yeah, that's pretty accurate.

Newb: Just starting out, learning the rules of the game. They're OK, esp. since I'm one... ;):p

Noob: Whiny little b*tcher that wants to win every match regardless of his/her complete lack of skill and refusal to learn the game. Often known to pose as vets, but are easily discernable from their copied saber combat scripts. They'll be the ones doing a [roll/jump]-[slash/DFA/kick/saber throw] combo, or some other variation, over and over and over and over and over and over... Kill these on site.

The term comes from "newbie" which has come to mean somebody who's inexperienced, a neophyte.

note how the term is "n00b" not "noob." Note the zero's.

That's because it's a "1337 sp33k" version of "newbie."

In the JK2 community the term is abused by sore losers and used humoursly in the forums.

Generally peope regard it as meaning "a clueless player."

Using it to refer to beginner players is rare, usually its just a generic insult people hurl at each other when they don't like how you play or are trying to accuse you of being cheap or something.

Newb, as well, I've hardly seen used at all, but it's obviously the same thing as Newbie (see above).

That reminds me, anybody notice how the meaning of the word "poodoo" has changed in Star Wars?

The first place it ever appeared is in Return of the Jedi. Jabba the Hutt utters the word (along with many others, since he's speaking Huttese) when he's having Han Solo (along with Luke, Leia, and the rest) captured and taken away to the Sarlacc.

Jabba's words are translated at the bottom of the screen for us, and the term "Bantha Poodoo" means "Bantha Fodder"

Fodder, meaning food, specfically food for domesticated animals or beasts of burden. So it would be like straw, or hay, or oats, in North American farm terms for example.

So Jabba was saying that Han Solo was "all washed up" as a smuggler and as a person.

Flash forward to the prequels. Now suddenly we have people using "poodoo" all over the place, and check out AOTC. An angry alien mutters "poodoo!" when Anakin/Obi-Wan's stolen speeder almost hits him near the beginning of the film.

And check out the AOTC novelisation... early on there's a reference to a "pile of bantha poodoo" covering up one of the sensors near the Tatooine homstead.

I guess in the half century before Return of the Jedi, the term meant something akin to "POOP."

; p

I've always used "newb" when refering to new players, and I even use that sparringly. I've never had anything against newbs. I've never used the term noob/n00b... I prefer to call them what they are. So I just call them various explict words...

They tend to not be able to get more than 1 frag for your every 25 and then call you the "n00b" because they're too stupid to use the rocket launcher and Flettche (aka Flak gun...)

The first time someone called me a newbie was november 1982.

It's an old military jibe to remind the "new" people where their place is.

It basically stems from that embarrasing human desire to always think you had it harder than the new guy.

IE... I had to walk up hill in the snow ten miles barefoot to go to school blah blah blah.

Kurgan, maybe its the spelling of poodoo, we never see it written down except in AOTC novelisation, maybe it means different thinks depending on how it is spelled, like knows/nose or has different meanings like : read/ or past tense: read.

That's a nice theory Bilbo! Although its pronounced exactly the same (its from Huttese, spoken commonly on Tatooine apparently) it might be as you say.

Archived