Home

compile types and times

wedge2211

OK, i'm making a CTF map and I wanted to do final testing on it before i reflect and complete it. i've been doing spot testing by running a BSP fastVIS (1/2) compile, which takes about 8 minutes. The final test, I ran a BSP fullVIS (extra), matter of fact, it's still running now. Here's my issue: fullVIS does about twice as many VIS passes as fastVIS, right, so fullVIS should take twice as long. extra light passes do twice as many light passes as ususal, and 1/2 does half as many as usual, so extra should take 4 timesa as long as a 1/2 lighting compile. So I figured the total compile time would be 8 minutes * 4 * 2, or an hour and 4 minutes.

Makes sense, don't it?

Well NOOOOOO, i'm current on the 10th freakin hour of BSP fullVIS-ing... And I'm afraid to inturrupt it cause it might be almost done so far as i know...

So can somebody explain to me the discrepency between BSP fullVIS (extra) and BSP fullVIS (1/2)? and the discrepency between 8 minutes for one and 10+ hours for the other?

i'd much appreciate it...

Times for compiles just dont work like that, I'm afraid. Me? I'd check to be sure all brushes that CAN be detail are, make SURE there aren't any leaks, and then, just to be on the safe side, remove curves from view and check it again.

Best advice I can give, man.

Okay, I noticed something...I finally got annoyed and killed the process, and cause i have Win XP (I saw this in another thread), any errors don't appear until after the compile process is completed/cancelled (any way to counter this?). I got a bunch of these:

"WARNING: Area portal brush ### does not touch two areas"

??!?!????!

I still don't get why a BSP fastVIS (1/2) worked fine, though...

THAT error, I know.

It means that your area portals do not completely seperate the two sides of your doors. Basically, there is a "hole" for vis to sneak through. You compile was taking forever because it didn't know how to draw the VIS for those sections of the map.

GO into the map, look up those brush numbers, and resize those brushes so that they block off the ENTIRE doorway.

As for why it worked in fastvis... because it doesnt do a full VIS procecss, it doesnt really take areaportals into account, as I understand it.

And so far as I know, there is no work-around for XP users. I use XP myself, but it never bothered me too much...

I'm having a similar problem with my map and I've inquired to Ravensoft about it. My problem is, my map compiles fine in Fast Vis (1/2), but when I use any version of Full Vis (ie Full, extra or 1/2) it compiles forever! The longest I let it go was 84 hours (over a long weekend) and I finally killed it. I looked for any significant errors in the junk.txt and couldn't find anything. If I find something out from Ravensoft, I'll let you know.

SunBurN

A related question...

I *CAN* make area portals out of multiple brushes, right? Say I want to fill a really wierd-shaped door with an area portal, I can just go ahead and make two or more brushes out of area-portal shader to fill it, as long as they cover the entire volume of the door and they don't overlap, right?

I figured out my problem! It wasn't related to the sizing of my portal brushes at all. The problem was that I just drew a brush the size of the doorway and clicked the "area portal" shader, thus texturing the ENTIRE brush with "area portal." THIS WAS BAD... it tried to make portals along the shot sides of the doorframes, and so naturally the shader didn't separate two areas. DUH... SunBurn, that might be your probelm as well if it looks like your portal brushes all fit the doorways perfectly. Use a texture find/replace to convert all the area portal brushes to caulk_nonsolid brushes, then go through again and only texture the visible faces of the portal brushes with areaportal shader. I did that, wasn't TOO much of a pain, but it's worth it to watch a nice zippy error-free compile.

For all of you out there, that means that my "Carexa Station" map will be released by the end of the weekend.

Ha, ha...

Okay, never mind about the caulk_nonsolid thing, that makes the areaportal brushes act solid and gives a HOM when you look through one. Icky. So I went back and changed all the caulk_nonsolid texture to areaportal...and got lots of "Warning: areaportal brush ### does not touch 2 areas" messages. So I went through and checked all the brushes it pointed me to, and they all looked to fit perfectly in the doorframes...except for a few, which i fixed, so I oversized all the portals to go into the walla a little ways just to make the compiler happy. Ran it again, same messages. This is bugging the hell out of me. I'm not displaying detail brushes so I KNOW these things are fitting inside the struct brush doorframes...what's with this? I'm totally lost.

Archived