Home

Which is your favorite MI game and why? (I know, I know, it's been done before...)

Monkeysee

Which was your favorite MI game, and why? (I know, I know, it's been done before...)  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your favorite MI game, and why? (I know, I know, it's been done before...)

• MI1
    • MI2
    • MI3
    • MI4

I didn't ever see a poll for this, so even though it's been done before (apparently) I'd still like to see what the results are.

My personal favorite is Monkey Island 2. I could be a bit partial, since it was the first one I ever played, but looking back on it, I still think it was the best MI game ever made. In the first one (which by the way was also very enjoyable, don't get me wrong) the creators had just made all the characters and were sort of "settling in" and getting used to it all. Naturally, they didn't have any previous games to look off of, so they couldn't expand much on the characters. This was really accomplished well in MI2. By this time, of course, the creators had really established the characters, so they could more developed and have more personalities attributed to them. The creators could also play around a little more, since they most definately knew what they were doing with the story and all, and could add a lot of funny stuff.

MI3 was good too, but I think they overdid Guybrush's stupidity a bit much. He was kind of changed, from a somewhat-smart-on-the-inside guy who was a bit clumsy, to more of a bungling fool who didn't really know what he was doing at all (just take a look at how he delivered insults to see what I mean.) This was even worse in MI4 (my least favorite) when Guybrush almost seemed like Elaine's happy little puppy, with practically no personality whatsoever.

As a final note, I have to say I liked the way Guybrush looked in MI2 best of all.

So, which was your favorite MI game, and why?

And guybrush looked kind of cool :) - outfit, growing beard.

Still,

everybody treated him like a wimp - I like that!

Also when the barkeep at the bloody lip refuses to give him grog.

"Look at my beard" :D :D :D :D

I love it :)

Putting the bucket on the door....

MI-2 Rox0rs

For some reason, MI1 is my favorite. Part of the reason is that it had a nice feel to it, and the other reason is that it was the first and if it wasn't for MI1, there would be no MI2 so ha!

btw, why do you guys have to be so down on MI4? It wasn't all bad! Err... Umm..... It had a nice box cover!

Hellbeard: I prefer MI1 for the same reason, it's got a really nice feel to it. It stays within the boundaries of a "standard" adventure game (e.g. being non-referencial) whilst being clever and witty at the same time! Also, the characters are PERFECTLY developed, you know exactly what they're like, there aren't any "non-personality" background characters (like the various store keepers in MI2 for example). Also, I found MI2 too cynical when I first played it (although I love it now).

I'd love to see a updated version of MI1 (and MI2)!

I wonder if LA ever plan on doing this? If they got Steve Purcell back to update all the old artwork in his "real-cartoon" style (wonderfully realistic lighting and details coupled with an over-the-top style) and did some interesting stuff with the voices and characters (like giving Stan his "southern" accent and animating him PROPERLY), it could be superb.

~ John

Monkey Island 2. It took everything good from the original and improved it to the max. I guess it helped that they worked on it immediately after SOMI, with pretty much the same team. Such a shame they didn’t do that for Monkey Island 3 as well, although in some ways it’s better that some other people did CMI a few years later.

Archived