Home

Question about skyboxes

wedge2211

I have some questions about skyboxes, i've looked around the forums up to about page 8 (so not to frustrate anyone by asking the same question they've already answered a thousand times :-D)

1. How do I make skyboxes? What programs do i need? Can i make the main part of the skybox in Photoshop?

2. When I put a skybox on just one brush where there is an opening in my map, will that in effect cover the WHOLE map with the skybox or will I have to make new brushes textured with the skybox at every opening into the 'void'?

Thanks, hope no one has asked these before (although im sure they have)

-_SA_Demonion/DISorder

Originally posted by wedge2211

I want to make a custom skybox including ground, mountains, clouds, and a sun...Can someone point me to a Bryce 5 tutorial?

MMmmm, I used Terragen for the DoTF skybox. I don't even know what Bryce 5 is, but i'll have a look at it if i can find it

Originally posted by AB_Legion

you can use this handy dandy tool called the search button.

Wow, it is indeed working again! :) To be fair though, it has been unusable for so long that everyone assumes it won't work - could you moderator guys make a big fuss about it working again so everyone knows, this is the first I've heard of it (but then I'm not known for noticing things...)?

ALL GLORY TO THE SEARCH BUTTON!!

Man, I just tried it some days ago and yes it´s working again!

These forums here have nearly all infos about everything related to JO editing but it was impossible to find for months!

I hope they keep this "feature" for a loooong time :)

OK, fine, now that we know the search is working again, back to the original question...

I did a search and found lots of references to "i used bryce blah blah blah" or "can i have a link to a bryce tutorial" and such, none of which answers my question, so I will ask it again.

Where can I find a Bryce 5 tutorial?

DISorder, I'll answer your questions now so you don't have to work too much: ;)

1. You need either Bryce or terragen or a similar program to render a custom skybox. As to how you do that specifically, that's what I'm trying to figure out. :D

2. You need to block off the void EVERYWHERE. This means that if you have a part of your map that is open to the sky, you should cover the opening with a caulk brush and texture the visible part with a sky shader. you hve to cover EVERY part that is going to be a skywith such a brush, you have to encase your ENTIRE map from the void, or else the map will leak. I suggest looking at RichDiesal's sky tutorial (check the sticky topics).

Archived