Home

Kamino Cloners CIV

JediLoaf

Hmm... i havent read the last 5 pages because of the complete stupidity of it, but serriously now, kamino was not part of the republic, the republic paid for their clone army, kamino didnt even supply the gunships. it would only make sence that they would make themselves an army to protect themselves and their wealth.

o yeah... no more vader logic please ;)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vostok: In allowing the books to be written, and approving their existence, your dictionary says that Lucas considers EU to be fair and good. You simply can't differentiate between 1 and 2.

Windu: Um, I'm from New South Wales. Why'd you think I was from Tassie?

I'm sure that someone passed the idea of EU by Lucas, and said "Hey, George, we need your formal approval to do this." He gave his formal approval, and still continues to give it. By doing so, he allows EU to exist.

The reason for EU's existence? Who knows. To continue the epic of SW. To allow some top authors to participate in one of the greatest SF universes of all time. To give the authors money, because they enjoy doing things other than living in a cardboard box off dole payments. None of these is the point.

The point is that, as Phreak said, EU is a part of SW. It's perfectly plain. It may not be Lucas' vision, it may be incredibly stupid, you may not enjoy it, you may not consider it ample game material. But can you please just accept that it's Star Wars?

That is quite possibly the poorest come-back you've ever used, Corran.

In allowing the books to be written, and approving their existence, your dictionary says that Lucas considers EU to be fair and good.
No, in allowing the books to be written, and approving their existence, my dictionary says that Lucas has authorized or sanctioned EU.

You simply can't differentiate between 1 and 2.
Yes you can, that's why my dictionary did it. Let's use another example to explain it to you Corran, since you seem to have trouble understanding the concept. Recently in Australia they screened that Michael Jackson documentary where the reporter went inside his house. We all have heard Michael Jackson was not happy with the way he was portrayed, and for some reason is making his own documentary. So Michael Jackson APPROVED of the documentary according to definition 2, but DID NOT APPROVE of the documentary according to definition 1.

EDIT: As this post has not been responded to in over a week, I shall assume my point has been made and therfore I shall claim victory in the name of Star Wars Purists.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of this! But it can be put more to use in the Galactic Republic civilization. Just make the Republic with Kaminoians. The same can be said for Geonosians. Just put a few of them in Confederacy. Mon Calamari and Ewoks can be added to the Rebel Alliance. I think Lucas arts is afraid to put to many units in each civilization. Don't know why! If you have only 5-7 civilizations, then you can add more units per civilization and still have 3-D. That was the problem with GB1 too few units per civilization and too few civilizations. If you are going to make a GB2 with small number of civilizations it should of lots of units. If you make GB2 with lots of civilizations then I understand fewer units per civilization.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to steal the victory back. *steals victory*

The books exist. The books have SW on the cover. The books were authorized by GL himself, and licenced by Lucas Licencing. The simple fact is that the books are Star Wars. They are indeed part of the Expanded Universe and not the Canon, but they are still Star Wars, and that is a simple fact.

The books may be terrible, Star Trek-ish stories. They may not capture the 'spirit' of SW. They may be poor source material. There may even be small parts in them which could be considered contradictory to vague Canon guidelines by some fanatics.

But these contradictions are few and far between (not to mention vague), and simply cannot impact on the fact that the books have the official Star Wars logo on the cover, and are sold as official Star Wars books.

This isn't an 'EU vs. Movies' debate, or a 'Yuuzhan Vong Defy the Force' debate. This is the simple stating of a simple fact that the Expanded Universe books are part of the officially recognised Star Wars continuity.

Any complaints or rebuttals can be referred to my secretary, otherwise known as, oh, say, SWPhreak. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Ah, the battle continues... Luke's Dad will be most unhappy.

This is the simple stating of a simple fact that the Expanded Universe books are part of the officially recognised Star Wars continuity.
Actually, as has been stated elsewhere, it is not recognised as continuous, only as a possibility, what could happen outside of the movies. If George Lucas himself doesn't recognise them as continuous (evident from the Boba Fett argument) then it seems likely they are not.

A new piece of evidence occurred to me the other day to prove that what exists in the movies and what exists in EU is separate.

While people, creatures, places, and concepts that appear in the movies are also abundant in the EU, the opposite is not true. Of all the hundreds of new aliens created in EU, none have been chosen to be any of the hundreds of new aliens in the prequel movies. Of the thousands of spaceships, creatures, characters and continuity lines EU has built, none are in the prequel movies. Why is this? Because Lucas would probably have to pay royalties to the author that penned them. Why should he do that when it is his creation?

The obvious (and only) counter argument is Coruscant. It appears in the movies and was created in EU (though the two versions are somewhat different). It seems likely that Lucas was willing to pay royalties to Zahn to use Coruscant, since it is the one really established concept in EU that to change would really destroy the Expanded Universe. It is also possible, since Coruscant appears in a number of novels not by Zahn, that Zahn holds no ownership over the name. In fact it may have been created by the West End Games trading cards and not Zahn at all. Afterall, the only thing Lucas took was the name, the planet itself is described differently in the books than in the movies.

What does this mean? The movies exist within EU, but EU does not exist within the movies, although it has had every possibility to do so. How easy would it be to slip a Chiss in the background? Or for Dooku to say Thyferra had joined the Separatists? Perhaps it would be entirely appropriate to see a famed Dreadnought as part of the Republic Fleet.

The movies and EU are not one thing. That's all there is to it.

Oh and Corran why haven't you tried my trivia yet? Trying to find all the answers in the movies and not rely on your own knowledge? You disappoint me.

*quote from the Bantam Spectra introduction to Star Wars novels*

"For the first time, Lucasfilm Ltd. had authorized three novels which continued the famous story told in George Lucas' three blockbuster motion pictures."

(referring to the Thrawn Trilogy)

The EU was created as, was licenced as, simply is a part of the SW story. It not only continues the story of the movies by showin what happens after, but also shows what happened before, during, even in between them.

Thus, they are part of the SW continuity.

GL never said "Because of this Fett thingymejigger, the EU isn't part of the continuity." He said that Fett met his match with the Sarlacc. He could've said "The EU is wrong and Fett is dead," but he didn't. That's what you would've done, but he did something different, and so your opinion is different to that of the one in change of the whole thing. Isn't that a little flawed for a supposed "True SW Fan"?

Okay, so GL didn't put EU stuff in the movies. Apart from, oh, say, Coruscant, which isn't different apart from a few minor things which may be taken as differences. But it takes a huge leap of faith, skipping half a dozen steps in the logic process, to translate that to "GL thinks the EU is bad, and the EU is not SW."

The EU and Canon are both Star Wars. They inhabit and deal with the same universe. That is a simple fact.

As for the trivia: I think I might watch the movies one more time before I do it. Considering that the last time I saw 4, 5 and 6 was just prior to the release of Ep II, and I haven't seen 1 and 2 since their releases, I fear I'll be absolutely terrible. :)

*sigh* This cursed debat is still going on?

"Oh here's your coffee sir."

I say the EU is Star Wars because 1) It has the SW Logo on it 2) It was created for the SW Universe 3) I believe it is SW, and you can't change my mind with complicated and long sentences :p

You believe what you believe, and I believe what I believe

First Corran, you seem to be ignoring my definition of "approve" provided earlier, which is understandable considering renders your argument non-sensical.

It doesn't matter how George Lucas actually said it. What he said was basically "EU is wrong and Fett is dead." In fact, they didn't even directly quote him in the article, so it is entirely possible he did say those words. I don't see how this compromises my "true Star Wars fan"-ness.

Coruscant is very different. I don't have the Zahn trilogy, I'll have to borrow it off my friend to quote it, but picking Jedi Search off my bookshelf I'll quote to you some inconsistencies:

Page 13, 3rd paragraph: "He looked into the sky, pondering the thin layer of atmosphere that protected Coruscant from space beyond." Coruscant actually has quite a thick atmosphere in the movies. That is why the sun appears so large when setting; the thickness of the atmosphere causes the light to refract further, making the sun appear larger when closer to the horizon.

Page 14, 4th paragraph (concerning the capitol building, formerly Emperor Palpatine's palace): "...sparkling in the sunlight of Coruscant it towered over all other structures, even the adjoining Senate Building." There are no buildings adjoining the Senate Building, in fact the "capitol building", where Palpatine has his office in in AOTC, had a view of the distant Senate Building.

That's just flipping open the book to the first time I saw the word Coruscant. There are smaller things like the hundreds of creatures that ride thermal currents or eat granite cliugs that we never see in the movie, plus the fact that in the books the lower levels of Coruscant house bizarre mutants while in the movies they are popular night spots, but I don't want my post to be too long.

Clearly EU and Canon refer to different versions of a universe.

As for trivia: but that will give you an unfair advantage over others! Especially considering you already perused the questions and know what to look for...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No-one has paid attention to this thread for a while, probably because people are sick of the Movies vs EU debate, but I just wanted to ask if anyone still disagrees with me after my excellent evidence posted above. If people really don't care, just let this thread die and I will quietly assume victory...

Archived