Home

Galaxies on april 15th ? damn...

Com Raven

Your right Ki Mundi, I have never played an MMORPG in my life. I have no perspective on the 'relationships' that are formed and how they differ. It actually sounds pretty sad to me that people should pay for something they hate still, or perhaps I am not even understanding the message. Is it money spent to keep in touch with friends or what's the deal?

Are you sure the author of the article was writing what was in his/her heart or was it about them not being able to take responsibility for their own lives and the choices they make day to day. Varent and Sony are not forcing them to play the game and allow them to cancel at any time. IMO, it is up to the player to keep tabs on themselves and not Sony and Varent.

The main reason why I am kind of going on about this issue is that I can see someone taking Varent and Sony to court over the addictiveness and how they can't control their urges. This is what I don't want to see happen. But again, I've probably missed what you are saying again. :)

BTW, that 14 year old 133t k1d you become friends with in SWG could be an 80 year old Grand-ma, you just don't know unless you've met them in person offline.

well, I tried 4 or 5 different ones, and I could easily give up after a while...

that timesink stuff, well, it costs them more if you play the whole day...

you pay them monthly, but within that month, every time you can't stop playing,it costs them money, not you...

and saying it's just a rip off: cheap idiots!

I hate those guys, same for all those who say I hate MS and then still use Windows or burn AoM...

All bastards...

And my wished for the new year are on the main page...

Flanders, there probably will be some kind of trial, but they will require you to provide a credit card number or some way to bill you. So when the trial is over, they start billing you even if you don't want to continue playing. Not counting an Open Beta, if they have one.

If you play for just a bit, yes, it is easy to give up after a while. But if you play for say... 4 months, 6 months, then it isn't so easy. But just casual gaming for a short period of time, that will work, though I don't think that such a thing would justify buying a game such as these. It's like donating money to the developers. Sort of. Com, I'm not sure that I understand your point of how it costs them money. They've got thousands of subscribers paying them. Granted, these developers aren't the richest people around, but the games still bring in more than enough money to pay for the server expenses and everything else that needs up keep.

FunClown, I'm not trying to make an arguement here. I was merely trying to provide more insight into an MMORPG for those who have no previous experience. They can be very fun, but there is only so much fun they can provide because there is only so much that can be programmed into a game.

My point is:

you pay a certain amount for a month of play.

They pay for bandwidth and stuff wit it.

Within that month that you pay for, it is better for them if you play less, as they don't get more money if you play more, but they need more bandwidth...

So the thing with timesiks is: within that paid month, the devs get absolutely nothing out of you playing more. Instead, it costs them...

I see what you're saying. But I don't think they lose money by people playing more simply by the sheer number of subscribers that pay each month. And not all the subscriptions are paid on the same day. They've got almost a continual flow of income to pay for bandwidth. If every subscription was active at once and all playing at once for a suspended period of time, that would probably cause them to lose money, but not much, I think.

Com, did you beta AC2, and do you know if they ever let any more people into SWG beta?

Ki Mundi, Beta 1 and 2 are closed betas limited to about upwards of 1000 people (They are nearing the end of Beta 2 right now). Beta 3 should begin from now to the next couple of weeks hopefully.

I hope I will be chosen for beta 3, but I don't really like my chances. Would be cool still anyways.

I'm not sure if they are still having a formal beta 4 or if it was mashed in with beta 3. Beta 4 was basically going to be public beta.

FunClown, I'm not trying to make an arguement here. I was merely trying to provide more insight into an MMORPG for those who have no previous experience.

I'm one of them :D

Originally posted by FunClown

I'm not sure if they are still having a formal beta 4 or if it was mashed in with beta 3. Beta 4 was basically going to be public beta.

I hope they do Beta 4 because I sort of messed up with my specs at the time and could have gotten rejected for it anyways. I would hope there to be a beta 4 though and by/after Feb when I can start playing the game. :D

Archived