Home

Secret Civs Thread!

lukeiamyourdad

That's rubbish. If that were true people would only ever play games on the easiest difficulty.

This is Mp we're talking about.

No it is wrong. Even if most MP players play to win, do they intentionally play newbies so they will definitely win? No, they often challenge themselves a bit so it is fun. Winning is part of that fun, but is in no way more important than having fun itself.

That happens a lot more often than not. Most people play others at their level though, out of honor and because a win against a newb isn't the same as a win against someone at your level (well, it is if you're a noob, but that's it). Like I, and now luke, have been saying, you have to play online actively.

The quote is wrong, because it suggests that the game is designed to be played to win. The whole concept of a 'game' is that it is to be played for fun. I can't do anything about the people who bash newbies just for the sake of getting a win, but I'm sure there will be people who would like to have Ewok wars and the like on the Zone.

Sure there are, but they would constitute a small majority of the people. And ewok wars are still allowed online, but just not in an RM or DM game. You cna still make a MP scen with Ewoks, cause balance only applies finitely to RM and DM. You guys should believe me on this one. Not only am I part of the online community, I also go to boards where the majority of the people have been playing these games for a long time. Also, thanks mostly to ES's consumer friendliness, I have a basic idea how devs balance games, avoid mistakes, and basically how they think when making a game. Believe me on this one its for the better.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SWPhreak: Sure, there are really cruel people on the Zone. But we shouldn't be making up ideas and games geared towards the existence of these really cruel people.

Sith:

There's a big difference between making some kind of half-baked scenario with big blobs of Ewoks vs. other big blobs of Ewoks and having actual civ wars where you build Ewoks and engage in battles.

Balance isn't meant to apply to the Ewoks. It's as simple as that. What bad things could come of including the Ewoks? The normal things of balance, patching, exploits and all that don't apply. They're a simple, on-the-side bit of fun, but one that people will hopefully want to play with. Let them be used!

Listen, You haven't played on those game servers often enough to know a LOT about this! The place is almost a hellhole when you're not playing with friends. I would say that a-holes form almost 60% of the players. Nobody really has honor because if you do something unhonorable, you can always change your name and start pissing off people again and again.

Which is why I think direct connect might be the only MP option for the secret civs. You're playing with a friend and against you friends. It's good to know because if he's an a-hole, you can always kick his ass(physically).

Sorry for being so harsh.

Luke's dad: Okay, so I don't play on the Zone that often. As I said before, I prefer direct connect (at least in the case of GB). But still, what possible harm could come from including the race for the sole purpose of unbalanced fun?

Sith: Well, if you can have the Ewok civ in scenarios, why not just let them in as a fully-fledged civ?

Okay, I'll acknowledge there is a problem, but I still don't understand how having an "Alow Secret Civs" option doesn't solve this problem. If secret civs get abused and you don't like them being abused, don't put a cross in the Allow Secret Civs box. If you're just playing with friends who aren't Power Gamers or if the secret civs can't be exploited all that well, then do put a cross in the box. It really is a simple solution, I think.

Yeah, an option would solve everyone's problems.

Jawas (with the crazy droids like Vostok and I discussed earlier) would be fine, and fun. However, I'm still supporting the Hutts.

SWPhreak: I don't think you totally get it. These Hutts are real Hutts. So the troops are Hutts with guns, the fighters have Hutts crammed into the cockpits, the villagers are Hutts with shovels and axes...... and so on.

There will also be a real (non-secret and balanced) Hutt Cartel civ, with mercenaries as the soldiers, not True Hutts. :D

No way the Jawas are way crazy enough. Don't combine them with Tuskens as that makes no sense and Tuskens aren't that funny. But you could have Jawas building ca-wazy droids that blow up at random times or Sandcrawlers that hurl used parts as artillery or a mounted trooper on a ronto that when you drive a scout up to it the ronto rears up and the Jawas fall off. Jawas have really bad attack against mechs because they want to keep the spare parts rather than blow them up.

This reminds me of some funny Jawa related stuff. Has anyone seen the fan-film called "Troops" that is like a Cops episode in the Star Wars Universe? It follows some Sandtroopers around on Tatooine and there are some Jawa punks with stolen droids. It's by far the best fan-film I've ever seen (the rest try to be serious and are just laughable in their attempts).

I love Troops

"Ah, is this your droid sir?"

<jawa sounds>

"Oh, it's your cosuin's."

<jawa starts running>

"He's getting away!" [blaster fire]

Ohhh, you mean a Hutt Hutt civ. . . well I guess it would be kind of humorus to see fat slugs in fighters. . .

I still think one of the secret civs yshould be the LA team/company. Imagine it. A bunch of programming nerds (no offense) with wierd looking blasters attacking you, and then there are Minivans and some other cars starts coming at you with big guns.

Yeah, the Jawas can easily be quite crazy and a lot of fun.

If we have Ewoks, Jawas, Hutts and LucasArts Nerds that's way too many secret civs.... we're going to have to make a decision sometime.

Oh! Troops! Troops is probably the funniest Star Wars-related thing I've seen. :D

My vote would go for Ewoks and LA Nerdz. The Ewoks are short and funny and can actually have more units thatn Jawas. And the LA Nerdz cuz. . . it's crazy to be playing as the ppl who made the game.

"Go George go! Noooo, he Ewoks killed George!"

"You bastards"

Archived