Home

I've done custom GLA animations

CortoCG

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that beta 1 is done and works fine.

If everything goes smooth, in a few hours, I will post the link here, as well as submit it to major file sites.

Enjoy

(oh and Tchouky, I did not even know about that .h file, I just used Wudan's notes to create my own header struct)

The new situation is that we are working away at the end of the file - frame size is so small because it actually just points to the actual animation data elsewhere.

So, you might see some revisions to ASk's program soon, it works really well, I was able to merge the humanoid.gla with itself (in essence) to create a whopping 34K+ animation frames, it was AWESOME.

There's some techincal 'things' involved with actually making NEW animation data, but we'll crack this nut SOON.

I believe my program to be working, at least the output file size matches the offsets provided.

For now, since I do not check for double data, merging of 2 humanoid files (9.52mb each) takes up 19mb :)

If I get less lazy and implement check for possible reusing of the data, it would make file sizes smaller.

Update: Fixed some bugs and tried the program on hex-hacked 1-frame GLA's. The file matches the offsets, and the frame data matches the bone pool. It may just be working fine.

If everything goes smoothly (unlike the last time), expect the release of GLA Merger 1.0b in a few hours.

New animations, until theese nut programmers figure out how to alter bone data, is... animators work clap! clap! clap! :D .

I will teach any modeller/animator around how to follow a few simple steps to make new humanoid animations (if you plan to use Ask's upcoming mergin program), or a completely new, non-humanoid animation (if you're planning to make new kind of NPCs for single player MODs).

New skeletons in-game are also part of the real world now, so there's practically little things we cannot achieve in our MODs.

Originally posted by CortoMaltes

New skeletons in-game are also part of the real world now, so there's practically little things we cannot achieve in our MODs.

Can we infer from your comment that in the case of MP, new skeletons are not possible?

I guess that would be the next obstacle to try to overcome, but it may not ever be possible, given the tests that wudan did last week, correct?

(if so, then we may have to have a _humanoid-based dianoga... :eek: )

It's possible. My tests last week were crap, because I didn't have the knowledge I have now. Remember when the GLA's weren't loading that specific models GLA? we thought it was the animation.cfg that referred to the GLA because it was in the same directory. Even so, a model uses whatever GLA it was built to use or you changed it to use. A single model will only ever use one GLA, this is what is hardcoded in to the GLM. That's fine, now we can make new animations, new skeletons and new animations for new skeletons!

First things first - though :)

this is so incredible! I wasn´t sure at the beginning of our mod if implementing new animations would be possible but now we are at the point where nothing seems to be impossible!

great work! I can´t wait to see mods with new animations / npc skeletons! :D

I was saying that in SP are a fact, not any more a possibility. If you take a look at the Ghoul2 loader in the code you'll see it's hardcoded to load the \base\models\players\_humanoid\animation.cfg.

If you somehow find out how to make a trap for multiple animation.cfg files the rest is done, cause the GLM looks for the GLA file automatically.

What I saw opening the jk2game.dll is that the ghoul2 loader was pointing to \base\models\players\%s\animation.cfg and then the G_parseAnimFileSet blah blah blah... coders stuff.

I think that's the right way to get the MP engine to parse whatever animation.cfg you want.

If you are wondering why the program is not released yet:

I am still waiting for a real new gla anim to come my way so I can test it on real data instead of my hacked _humanoid.gla files.

So if any of you is willing to donate a short gla animation (72 weighted bones), feel free :)

You forgot to mention the reason why we don't HAVE a true animation to test. Basically, the skeleton provided in the SDK doesn't seem to be the actual animation skeleton for the humanoid.gla. :) The "group" is in the middle of trying to figure out what to do. Please be patient.

Originally posted by CortoMaltes

If you somehow find out how to make a trap for multiple animation.cfg files the rest is done, cause the GLM looks for the GLA file automatically.

...and I think we actually came up to a possible solution to this a while back (using something akin to the "isATST" flag), so we'll have to try that out at some point.

Thanks for the clarification, Corto!

:D

Nice story, worthy of the Jedi Archives.

Ok now, remember I promised a disco dancing stormie??? Well, I'll do an animation just to see it on modview, cause making it work in the game includes much more work than you think, and it's not for rookies ;) . I don't wanna have mails from every JO enthusiast asking me how to put it in the game.

Anyone else who knows how to control animations in-game via scripts (yes, it's completely possible) are free to try it.

In an hour I'll post the download right here.

P.D.: I wasn't talking about you Wudan, when I said "it's not for rookies", pls don't get me wrong, :) .

Archived