Home

I've done custom GLA animations

CortoCG

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started this whole mess of making new animations cause I needed to make also new skeletons. Now that I succefully introduced a completely new skeleton, and Wudan found out how to append new humanoid animations into the original _humanoid.gla my work is done, I have nothing further to add. Bye now.

Have a nice day.:D

In Wudan we trust.;)

Wudan, I hope you would not mind if I write a program that will take 2 gla's (humanoid + user) and merge the selected animations from the "user" into the "humanoid"

Should not take a long time. If I really won't have free time, by Saturday it should be done.

I wouldn't mind at all - That sounds like what I would like to do, but I don't entirely have the skill to take on such a project by myself.

There are a few of us from different TC/Modss who have agreed that this information is too important to 'hoard' to ourselves, so yes, this info should be / has to be available to anyone.

Do you need the specifics on the _humanoid gla? Or have you already got those (I shared this info with a lot of people, and I don't mind one bit if it gets shared with other people - I want people involved in this. I simply don't have a big enough brain (yet) to handle this by myself.

In case anybody wants to know, this was done through hex editing. We've had the GLA format known to us for some time, but we didn't know what to do with it - some of us knew what to do with it but didn't know we had the GLA format.

My notes on the subject are garbled and will be re-formed, but so everybody can see them, here they are:

http://users.sisna.com/tokyopop/gladebug.txt

Please don't bother me with silly questions at this point, I'm still working out what goes where, but I had enough info that if someone provided me with new GLAs containing new animations, I could add them. If you understand my notes, you can do it.

For anyone that thinks there are moral issues surrounding hex editing, there are not, unless you hex edit an EXE file or hex edit something that is otherwise 'encrypted' to gain access to information that is meant to be hidden. GLA info is obviously not hidden, we have been provided by the creators of the format with info on how to decipher it. Naturally, the next step is to write a program that makes this process simpler.

I'm glad this has sparked interest from great coders like ASk and Tchouky - it was their help and people like them who helped me and many others along this path.

If we could get Corto to teach us how to animate with 3dsm, that'd be great to.

Don't get TOO excited Commodus, while a great accomplisiment, this is only part of the solution.

Everyone now needs to get together and make a group effort to create whatever animations are needed. It's better to have one set of good dual saber animations instead of 50 crappy sets. Plus, there's also a lot of code that will be needed to intergrate these new animations into the gameplay.

New animations are a fact, new skeletons are a fact. The main problem for me now is make the entities/NPCs to use new sequences for the scripted behavior. I'm talking about SP of course.

So, I'm starting a new thread concerning NPC scripting, and complex AI scritps. I expect to find the same quality of people I found on this one, for the good sake of the community of course, nothing personal.

The new thread will be named NPC Scripting - BehavEd, and you'll know is mine.

May the force (and Wudan) be with us.;)

I posted an imperialcommando(test).pk3 with a new humanoid animation. The GLA/GLM combo will do for any test. It contains the same humanoid skeleton that Raven used to compile _humanoid.gla.

That's what Wudan used.

Have a nice day.:D

I didn't use the imperial commando - that model / gla only has 30 bones, it doesn't look like it has the digits of the hand. This changes the size of the animation frames, from 216 (for a 72 boned humanoid) to 90 for your glas.

What I did find interesting is that even though the skeleton is decidedly smaller, the frame data still starts at 0x003300

That's because I didn't weight anything to those missing bones. Raven did animations for all the bones of the humanoid skeleton, even lips, eyes, and fingers.

I'm not going to weight vertexes to all possible bones cause it's lots of work. Even though you already know how to compile new GLAs, so my advice is: get you modelers to work :D .

As I said before, I'm done here. My new interest is NPC scripting. Once I find out how to script NPCs to use certain animations sequences for certain actions, I'll be speaking of a real achievement and no-useless, effort-worthy new skeletons/animations.

hehe ASk, we want to do the same thing :)

i won't have much time for this until week end but if you want to start, check the code/renderer/ folder there is a file : mdx_format.h

which contains the gla architecture...

so all you have to do ( and i ll try to do it)

is to create a small program that will load the 2 gla corectly and then merge them (easy) and then rewrite the file....

the program would be quite easy to make in fact....

Oh gee golly gosh! :eek:

Somebody hex-hacked the GLA format? You guys are my heroes! I just started trying to figure out the GLA format with my hex editor over the weekend, but now I don't have to do all the work! I would luv, luv, luv to be involved in creating new animations for the game! I'm a coder and I have access to 3DS Max! Let me play! Let me play!

npauerk

The format had been available to us all along, in the code under the renderer directory. I didn't know we had it until I had read one of the last posts James Monroe ever made here, which he made last July (I think it was). So, yeah, I didn't do anything THAT amazing - I just read a lot and applied my knowledge :)

What exactly am I looking at in the Mace Windu images above? Is this an actual animation? It looks like maybe you edited the bone placement or something. I managed to disassemble and to "squash" the interrogator droid by editing its *.gla file, but I didn't have nearly as much knowledge about the GLA format as you do. I'm not really sure how I did what I did.

(I'll step in here for Wudan since he had a long day yesterday and needs the rest... ;) )

Originally posted by npauerk

What exactly am I looking at in the Mace Windu images above? Is this an actual animation?

Yep! You're looking at a genuine hand-hex-edited animation that Wudan inserted into _humanoid.gla.

Tchouky nudged him to just give it a go with his wacky animation and not worry about waiting around for a "cool" animation or whatever. A very good suggestion in my book.

So the point of the screenshot was just to show that a new animation is possible, and was not really intended to show off Wudan's hand-animating skillz. ;)

The object is to have a real animator create a new GLA based on that skeleton, and then basically cut 'n' paste (by hand) the new animation data into the _humanoid.gla.

To take this all one step further, however, ASk and Tchouky are evidently coordinating efforts to create a utility to actually do the merging in an automated fashion, so that we won't have to do it by hand, which will be a giant step forward.

(Wudan, ASk, Tchouky: please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this... :) )

Archived