Home

Question regarding Turn-based vs. RTS…

aj142

I don’t know that I’ve played either type of game, so I’m not even 100% sure how the difference translates in gameplay. There are a few space battle / strategy games I’m curious about, so I want to get some opinions on which ones are worthwhile and what the differences are between playing these two types of games.

turn-based lets you plan and micromanage everything ALOT easier, but usually doesn't let you control the units, rts you control the micromanagement (sometimes) as well as the units.

a good turn-based game is Deadlock II. that has to be the BEST turn-based strategy game EVER. =]

I care not for Turn-based startergy, but one of my first proper computer games was Civilisation 2.

Typical TBS's are the Civilisation series, Alpha Centuari and the Master Of Orion series.

RTS's are more fast-paced and fun, and becuase it happens in real time it is far more realistic.

Includes the C&C series, Star Wars: Force Commander and Cossacks.

There is a good combination coming out: Rise Of Nations , which takes the Turn-Based genre and many of it's concepts like cities, etc. and puts them into an RTS. Like Age Of Kings meets Civilisation.

Wow - thanks for the help to everybody. Like Crazy Dog said, ounds like RTS is more exciting and realistic, but I'm curious about all of the games mentioned here. Have any of you played Hegemonia? When I saw the screens for that game, it made me curious about RTS in the first place. It looks breathtaking (I can give you a link if you want), but I don't know how it compares... maybe someone could tell me if it's a good game to start with?

Archived