Home

Windows XP - Your opinions

Mex

Your dad's friend is an idiot.

XP is a lot more stable than 98, which is notoriously un-stable, as even Microsoft themselves admit. XP is also a lot better for small-scale networking. If you aren't going to have XP, don't have 98; have ME or 2000. The only problem with 200 is that it lacks some game support.

Essentially, yes, XP is worth it.

I have XP, it's okay if it's what your looking for. if not, then definately don't go for 98 (which crashed on it's first demonstration after before releas all those year ago). if you already ahev 98, think about how many times it's crashed on you. now multiply that by 7, and then by 5, and then by 0 and then by 97 and then by 3, and you'll have the amount of times XP crashes on you.

now if you didn't bother working that out, it's 0, XP is desinged not to crash on you. it's also very user friendly without sheilding you from finding out about teh computer and letting you change settings. it's also a lot safer, most of teh changes you make to the settings can be undone or won't make a big effect on your computer other that the one you want from it. here's a picture for you.

http://www.geocities.com/neil_joshi2002/desktop.html?1042403388743

it's pretty poor quality and i've changed my desktop icons (as wella s my cursor, but you can't see that) but you can clearly see what it looks like. the start bar for example and all the rest.

one drawback though, a lot of old games won't work, like some of the monkey island stuff, samnmax hit the road, day of the tentacle and so on.

I don't care what he has a degree in. The fact of the matter is that XP is much more reliable than 98 is. In 98, if one program fails, the entire computer locks up. In XP, if one program fails, it's usually only that program that fails. And, as Neil and I have said, it's much nicer to run. It's also better for networking. And let's face it, if you don't have a big enough hard-drive to install XP and still have enough room for everything you want to install, you need a larger hard-drive. You can really find more information on XP without trying very hard; more info than I can give you. What is it that your resident computer expert said, exactly.

Oh, and I have digs at you because, at times, you demonstrate some quite severe stupidity or ignorance. Hey, you asked for it.

What the...there was a post by Faith there a second ago. Have you deleted it?

I have windows XP home edition, we all got these funky lil profile thingies as well. Will take some screen caps later

Only thing is, yesterday I was using the puter and it switched itself off for no reason at all and with my profile I can't seem to use windows media player. Any idea what could cause this?

Windows 98 is crap always locked the computer up, always getting the irritating blue screen of death. Hate the thing

That would be called the "Blue Screen of Death"...i hate it badly. I get it occasionally, cuz I have a crappy compaq w/ Windows 98. Here's a little flash cartoon that kinda has the "Blue Screen of Death"....it cracks me up.

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail50.html

Windows XP? Yeah, its way more stable than 98...very very good. I was originally going to have Windows ME on my newcoming comp, but its horrible....Definitely get XP if you can...

what would be the point of a network in a house for roomies. all teh advantages that a network has doesn't apply to you, i'm assuming. you can access your work from different computers. so your saying that you will at one point have the oppertunity to go into someone elses room and go on their computer and at the same time, someone can go into your room and go on your computer to get to their work. some advantages i can see, like if you've invited one into your room and he wants to show you soemthing or listen to music on his server or whatever. also, would this mean a share of peripherals? so if you print something off in your room, you're gonna have to go into another room to get it. finally, i'm guessing that you wont have a network server commonly used in offices. so you'll use a ring topology meaning if one computer breaks down the rest will not be able to get to information. quite frankly, this doesn't seem like a good idea unless it's for expenses reasons (you want to share peripherals and the internet)

also faith. your dada mate may have computer knowledge, but does he have comparative experiance. when i had windows 98, we had to format our entire hard drive a total of eight times ebcuase of teh probelms it was causing (one time involving me losing a huge 30 page document which i hjad to re-write from scratch). ever since i had XP, not one crash, not one problem (apart from playing old games, but i can overcome them easily) and nor formatting. XP is more stable, (remember the blue screen that comes up telling you theres a problem and either get on with working (which you can't do) or restart your computer. on XP, there is no such thing. problem with a programme, XP requests that you end the programm, but not restart. you can go on and do other work or try again or whatever)

my opinion, the same with most other people here, get xp.

Urm, Neil, ever heard of multiplayer gaming? Also, if they have to pay for their own Internet connection, they need only buy one and both conenct at the same time through sharing. If you want to network for gaming, Beni, go for it. It's worth all the effort.

Actually what I'm doing seems to be more cost effective....rather than getting 3 or 4 different accounts for my internet, I can just share 1, and hub it out. And yes Feral, its mostly for online gaming...it all started with good ol' counter-strike. Plus most of my friends and roommates are use to dialup, so having broadband is like heaven to them...

Archived