Home

Current Status

razorace

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you'll have to make an additional skin with the name "skinname_fpls" (no head with body) or "skinname_fpls2" (arms and saber only) for every skin you want to use in True View.

I'm not sure yet but I may only make support for _fpls because there's no real point for removing the body when that's part of the appeal of doing True View. AND it would just add to the workload for skinners/modellers.

Since the animation thread hasn't been updated in the general editing forum, I was wondering if you guys at MOTF are going to use custom animations? I remember Tercero talking about some mod he made that made the lightsaber combat truthful to the movies. I'd appreciate a response, i've been very curious lately. Thank you ;)

When new animations are possible, MotF will be adding some to the mod. HOWEVER, the people working on getting new animations to work have hit a wall. Until the technical hurdles are passed, don't expect new animations anytime soon.

I don't know who Tercero is. Who is he and where did he mention this? If he's truely interested in making the game more like the movies, I'm sure MotF could work out some sort of merger deal. ( Assuming that he's the real deal. I'm sick of people who sign up and disappear the next day. :p )

hi i had a few more thoughts about this project

there was a mention about having dodging, with non-jedi characters and such, and how all "classes" as it were, would dodge, because there would be balance issues otherwise

anyway, i was thinking, maybe have it so jedi classes would use less dodge points (or non-jedis use more) whenever dodge is used, but have it so jedis do not use armor/shields, only non-jedis have shields/armor

another thing i noticed, this should be an easy fix, and although it wont really make it "more true to the movies," is how when you backpedal you run as fast as a forward run. i remember being annoyed by this in the multiplayer game, chasing after some bot looking back at you going backwards just as fast as you chasing them.

like i said, although this isnt an issue as far as the movies go, i think it is unrealistic, and would be better off changed to reflect it. maybe, when fatigue points are enabled, make backpedalling take alot more points than forward running. cuz really, can you run backwards fast without alot of effort?

also, i was wondering, although this mod makes the technical things about the game much better; the guns actually shoot like blasters, not slow ass gob cannons; the dodging is really cool. but it is still boring to just play FFA, duel, and the MP basic games over and over (especially with bots, cuz online servers arent there or hard to find)

i havent really been in the loop lately, and never with the MP side of JO, but i did hear about a gametype called saga, and i guess its a more objective-based gametype, and its already in game, but not enabled (last i checked)... perhaps, if you arent making your own new gametype, you can have the saga gametype enabled in MotF?

last comment, im admittedly ignorant on.

just a few suggestion-guestions.

:cool:

In my opinion, another good idea maybe to make lightsabres 'circuit out' underwater, or when the blade comes in contact with water.

This page is useful in background information.

I think fighting with lightsabres underwater is too unrealistic. This may also be the case for blaster shots; they could burn-up after a meter or so in water, meaning they're unable to get the upper hand over Jedi wielding sabres.

I have a feeling most people won't like this idea. I haven't read about any breakthroughs in Lightsabre technology allowing them to duel with lightsabres underwater.

A good example of this is in Aliens Versus Predator 2. The Predator's cloaking device would circuit out in water, making the game more realistic and tactical. :)

The other alternative is allowed more ability to fight underwater. Maybe even some code can be added, to allow specific models to not drown. Mon Calamari can hold their breath underwater longer than any human. This will probably be abused by everyone putting their models in as immune to death underwater, making it a bad idea in the long term.

Hope my aquatic ideas help. ;)

Originally posted by idontlikegeorge

anyway, i was thinking, maybe have it so jedi classes would use less dodge points (or non-jedis use more) whenever dodge is used, but have it so jedis do not use armor/shields, only non-jedis have shields/armor

Well, I don't really like class based systems. They're too confining to the customization factor of your player.

Anyway, I'm currently thinking of ideas on how to redo the current Dodge implimentation. I'm hoping to make it be based directly on the distance you have to move to dodge the attack instead of how much damage that attack does. This would more realistic and would give an insentive to actually manually move to dodge attacks instead of just charging. This would go hand-in-hand with the new concept for how dodge is visually handled, but I'll skip the technical details for now. :)

As for how how Dodge is balanced out for the different general types of players, I think the best strategy is to give more Dodge points to Jedi and give armor/health bonuses to the non-jedi. My concern with changing the Dodge cost based on who you is that would be confusing to the players. If the Dodge cost changes dramatically you can't be sure how long your Dodge will last for a given player.

like i said, although this isnt an issue as far as the movies go, i think it is unrealistic, and would be better off changed to reflect it. maybe, when fatigue points are enabled, make backpedalling take alot more points than forward running. cuz really, can you run backwards fast without alot of effort?
Seems reasonable. I haven't put any time into changing the movement code much, but I'll keep that in mind when I do. :)
i havent really been in the loop lately, and never with the MP side of JO, but i did hear about a gametype called saga, and i guess its a more objective-based gametype, and its already in game, but not enabled (last i checked)... perhaps, if you arent making your own new gametype, you can have the saga gametype enabled in MotF?
That's a good point. I had been planning to do some Saga Coding with Artifex but...

1. Artifex is bailing out of the "scene" for medical reasons.

2. Community support for Saga has been little to nil. Everyone talks about it like it's going to "save" the JK2 community but then noone makes Saga maps or plays the few that have been made.

3. Team based objective gameplay modes have been done to death in other games. While it is cool and all, we'd have to come up with something truely special to make it something other than just TFC/CS with lightsabers. The problem is that there's not much more you can do THAN make TFC/CS-with-lightsabers without coming up with something that I haven't thought of yet.

4. Coding Time is Coding Time. I could either spend my time improving the basic gameplay or spend it making a good Saga type of gameplay mode.

5. Everyone else and their dog is already doing this for JK2. I know the mod team AKA the AotC TC team is doing this sort of thing for our mod and there's at least 2 other teams working on the same thing. I don't think MotF could do it uniquely enough to justify being a seperate mod.

6. And most importantly, I don't think it related to the mission of MotF. Most of the notable combat in the movies is about individuals in combat not large teams of people duking it out. I think people would far prefer a more realistic rendition of the Vader vs. Luke battles than the Death Star blaster shoot outs (especially if 70% of the players have to be Stormtroopers that are basically banthfodder for the 3 main players)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. :)

Originally posted by Hèkx Nòxú

In my opinion, another good idea maybe to make lightsabres 'circuit out' underwater, or when the blade comes in contact with water.

That's a good idea, but I haven't even seen a map with swimmable water yet. I think the code already makes your saber turn off in the water as is.

Not the best of days for MotF. For some reason Ytmh's computer crashes on the lastest compile. I'm going to have to go back to the latest back up R2 B5 and work out what is wrong. So until I fix the problem, progress on MotF will be restricted by the amount of time I can spend with Ytmh to figure the problem. SUCK!

That's a good idea, but I haven't even seen a map with swimmable water yet. I think the code already makes your saber turn off in the water as is.

Well I've seen at least one, which was a conversion from a jk1 map, and you can have your saber on underwater without a problem (apart from loosing some moves).

uh. I don't want to give the wrong impression there, but specific visuals are secondary to the gameplay. Unless I have to change the visual code as part of the gameplay changes, I'll save those changes for later.

As for mod progress, it's still coming along. We fixed the major crash bug with Ytmh's computer. We're not sure what the problem was but it's seems to work now. I'm in the middle of tweaking the system and fixing some camera flicker bugs.

Sorry about the lack of updates. I've been messing with stuff in RL and haven't had the time to work on the code AND make regular PR updates.

Things are coming along. It's bug hunting season at the moment. There's a couple of minor things that need to be added but it's basically ready in concept. However, a bunch of the features aren't working correctly yet and it will take sometime to fix.

I'll keep you all posted.

Razor Ace

Ok everyone, since True View is almost ready, I'm releasing this information so modellers can insure compatibility with True View.

Basically, you need two things for True View to work:

1. Your model MUST have a tag surface called "*head_eye" whereever you want the player to see from on this model. The camera is directly linked to this tag so it must be on the model or True View doesn't work right.

2. Your model needs to have its head region correctly setup for the dismemberment system. (IE your head pops off correctly when your head is cut off in game.) True View uses a similar system to make your head invisible to prevent you from seeing the insides of your head. This isn't needed presay. You could place the "*head_eye" far enough ahead of your head to prevent any clipping problems but I don't recommend doing this unless you HAVE to (like for the helmet pop off effect of the lastest version of Vader).

That's it. Technically, any correctly done model SHOULD already have these.

I've notice that "glm_vader" doesn't have a "*head_eyes" tag and therefore doesn't work correctly with True View.

Razor Ace

Ok, True View is 95% done. We're in smooth sailing now.

My current sub-project is making the weaponfire/crosshairs use the actual gun barrel instead of the hackish preset location of the basejk2.

It works now, but the crosshair and the actual shots don't line up as good as they do with the "hacked" version. The weapon fire LOOKS better, but the crosshair seems to be a little off in the sniper scope and when you fire at a steep up or down angle.

I think it's related to the other major issue I'm having with True View.

What do you guys think? More realistic weapon firing or put up with the crappy old system (with the better crosshair)?

• 2 weeks later...

Well i can't really comment on this because I'm mainlya saberist... but I think having a precise crosshair is more important than the shooting looking good.

I don't know if I (or anybody for that matter) has asked for it before but, could we get electrobinoculars? (but get rid of the damn battery, how comes a lightsaber can stay on for so long and binoculars don't?)

I know it's not a big deal for gameplay, but binoculars would be good (at least for rp, or to look far withowt using the disruptor).

Still hammering away at things.

Weapons are now truely hittable (but there's no ingame effect yet). Unfortunately, there's a general issue with the traces that is currently preventing the weapons from being hitable in situations where the original "normal" trace doesn't hit the player model. I think I can get around this by removing the normal traces entirely but that might screw up hit detection on nonghoul2 objects. I'll check it out. :)

True View is basically complete. I want to add some special camera view for blue backstabs and the yellow special but other than that everything is ready.

Heck, I could release this thing today but I want to get it extra polished for release. The minor things often add up. For example, while the aiming is now perfect, the first shot seems to go slightly wild with the distruptor. wierd. That's not what a sniper wants. :)

In other news, we recently talked with RenegadeOfPhunk (currently of MovieBattles, formerly of Team Assualt) about a possible merger. He's currently thinking about it and I'm hopeing/thinking we join forces.

True view works great, but I find it impossible to fight with the saber using it, not being able to turn your head and the really small fov aren't really good for saberfights, add my inability to calculate the saber's reach in fpv and you get a dead saberist :p

yeah, depth perception with the saber is a real problem with True View and third person. I think it's due to the uniform color and the fact that ingame blade is actually a 2d rendering. I haven't thought of a good fix yet.

As for the field of view, play with cg_fov until you find a setting you like.

Archived