Home

Current Status

razorace

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently finishing up the rewrite of the splash damage code. It's now much more realistic with ghoul2 hitdetection and fragmentation / concussion damage simulation. However, I've been have a lot of trouble getting it to work. My projectile math was a bit off. I think I have it now, but I haven't tired it.

Razor Ace:

With the explosive hit detection core complete, I have turned over the job of filling in the explosive weapon data over to ASk. I'm now turning my attention to the dismemberment code. It needs to be updated with ghoul 2 hitzones, plus we're considering some additional uses for the system.

For example, with the more realistic explosive damage modeling, we're thinking about reimplimenting "gibbing" to reflect the fact that you're not going to survive a direct hit by a fragmentation rocket with a intact body (dead).

What we do will be restricted by what the system can do, so details will be reveiled as we progress.

Oh, I forgot to mention the big news of the day. Wudan has figured out a way to merge .gla files together! With this knowledge we can now do new animations for MotF!

Unfortunately, Ytmh doesn't have a copy of 3D studio Max, so new animations in MotF will have to wait until Ytmh has a copy. If anyone knows where we can get a copy cheap, please pm me. :)

For anyone with a team that can do a LOT of GOOD animating and coding, yes.

I'm not directly related with the gla merger team so I obviously don't get credit for it. They're close, but there's still some additional hurdles that they have run into. So cross your fingers and hope that ASk, Wudan, etc get it working soon.

I, in the meanwhile, am playing with the saber code. I just finished rewriting the saber hit detection to make it work a bit better and to get ride of a bunch of useless crap. From my testing, it seems to me that the reason why the saber seems to miss a lot in running fights is because the current camera view makes the saber look like it reaches farther than it actually does. I'll look into what I can do about the camera view to fix the problem.

Well, I spent today working on making a good 1st person view for the saber.

I got it currently set up so the player's view is hooked directly to eyes of the player model. This means you get to see everything the character would see including your feet, arms, all the animations where the saber passes thru your leg, etc.

It's working pretty good so far but I need to write a function to make it so you'll have some freedom of movement with your virtual eyeballs. And before you all write in and ask, your eye wouldn't move to look where you're looking. That would require a lot of coding and most models wouldn't support it anyway. I might do it later when I have a better understanding of the Ghoul2 commands.

A special skin will be required for this feature to work with other models. I'll probably set it up to use the kyle's model (for the 1st person view) if a custom skin isn't set up for the current model. Also, due to the way the fx effects are handled in the game, you'll not be able to see yourself in mirrors while in the new first person view.

The big difference here is that in real life you don't need to see your saber to know where it is, since it's your hands that are holding it, and you don't need to see them to know where they are, plus you hve a wider FOV, in the PC (or a console for that matter) you have a square FOV, and you cant feel your "hands" so things need to be a little less realistic I think.

Razor Ace: Still working on a smoother function for the 1st pvv. I've got the eye movement limiter in place. I'm now working on a way to translate the roll rotation of the model to the view angle. I'm pretty sure I can do it with some math (crappy math :p:D) but it's bedtime for me now. I'll work on it more tomorrow.

Well I only have one idea... and it's pretty lame if you ask me, but there it goes:

If you have played some space sims, you'll have seen some of them have a representation of your ship on the hub, which (at least on some) moves like you do (ok i have only seen this once :p), so putting some sort of simplified model there could soulve this, but i think it would look reeeeeeally crappy.

Well, I finally figured out a way to extract the orientation information and have it work correctly. It looks great now. Tomorrow, I'll resume work on the smoother function so you'll have some ability to "move" your eyes around a bit. Boy, I was probably stuck on that issue for the longest of anything I've done for the project so far.

Still toying with the camera stuff. It's not very playable with full attachment (to the eyes) thou. The view moves so quickly in the flips and spins that it's hard on the eyes. Plus, the left/right leaning for straffing is simple insane. I'll keep playing with it but the system is probably going to have an attachment setting to let people use it without the whirl-and-puke that full attachment brings.

Anyway, here are some screenshots of the current system.....

Woah, I have a leg AND a foot!

I like to call this piece, "Sparks, Two Legs, and the Sky".

Coming out of a roll in this shot.

Kyle takes a shot nap.

Look ma! No..err..anything. (This is the view in the middle of a backflip.)

Lando getting a charge out of live...for the last 5 seconds of it.

Lando does the electric boogy.

Ok, that's enough bad jokes for now. Sides, I'm out of screenies.

Later!

Just a question, does this use the "improved" kyle model from 1st person lightsaber or is it the one from the skin? Since if it's the one from the skin i guess it should be possible to make it use the same model you are using.

So you are using the one which hasn't got half of the skin marked as clear? Is there any way to make it use your normal model if you aren't using kyle's (It will be uglier i suppose but id preffer that rather than seeing kyle)

Archived