Home

area portals in breakable walls

wedge2211

In my next MP level, I'm plaiing to have several rooms that are connected by breakable areas of the wall instead of doors. Now, since these holes aren't going to be made to be OBVIOUS, they will likely be intact for a good portion of the game and THEN open. So, can I prevent the game from drawing everything on the other side of the "wall" when it's intact by placing an area portal inside the func_breakable? If worse comes to worst, I canjust leave them...I don't plan for the level to be all that big.

It won't work, because those entities don't block against visibility. The reason that it works for doors is because it is coded to work as such for doors.

You don't have to take my word for it though ... What you could do is put a 'door' that only gets used once inside the func_breakeables (and gets used when they break), and when the breakables get broken it opens REALLLY FAST, and then it could use the area portal, because you'd have a door ;P

Think of your 'area' as needing to be hermetically sealled against venomous off-screen triangles. Only doors will seall your area up against those nasty off-screen triangles :(

Archived