Home

Do I have rose tinted glasses?

silk_p

Ok, a little preamble....

I recently got hold of the LucasArts Adventure Pack (MI, MI2, S&M, IJ&FoA inna tin no less). I was feeling nostalgic and I still rate the Monkey Island games as some of the best adventures I have played....if not the best.

So, full of nostalgia and anticipation, I played straight through The Secret of Monkey Island and a thought struck me...

Did the Amiga version look better, in my minds eye it certainly did and I know it sounded better...but were the gfx better on the Amiga.

Or, as the subject asks, do I have rose tinted glasses.

Thanks

Silk

Hmm, 256 is marginally better but i really don't see any difference between the 256 and the CD version apart from pictures instead of words for inventory. i didn't really like the demo version, kinda rich for my taste (but it did a good job of actually advertising the game). i'd have to say that there is definate contrast between 256 and the 32 colours (although if you got a screenshot from the 256 and upped the contrast you'd get the 32 colours). personally, i prefere the 256, it kinda moves away from the shoddy graphics of the early seventies and actually takes advantage of the new technologies (of the time) with teh 256 colours. not that teh amiga wasn't without it's charms, ah, i've still got it stashed away under my bed at this very moment. :rolleyes:

Graphically, the PC version was better than the Amiga version. The sound was better on Amiga, though.

There are a few graphical differences between the CD version and the original floppy version. When you open the Scumm Bar kitchen door, you see this terrible effect which is supposed to look like light pouring out. And for some reason they changed the appearance of the piece of meat in the kitchen. Weird.

Yep, and when you go down to the dock for the first time, the sun is setting... in glorious 16 colors! ;)

Yes, the graphics really WERE that bad (well, not bad, just REALLY low resolution). You do sort of get used to it if you keep playing :)

I'd LOVE to see a "Remastered" version! (I have even tried to redo the graphics myself... :/)

~ Johnny

Archived