Home

Jedi - What do you think?

Lord Helmet

I've been playing Asheron's Call and Anarchy Online since their inception. While I understand what you're trying to achieve with Jedi, the practical implications are that only individuals with state-of-the-art systems and great consistent connectivity ever have a shot at making Jedi Master. I doubt that's what was intended. For reasons too numerous to list, lag happens alot. It's the bane of MMRPG players. It drove me away from AO for six months.

While I appreciate that you're trying to design in a few additional lives to account for lag, power gamers will run into lag more frequently, especially during game launch when companies typically underestimate pent-up demand. :) The more complex the action on the screen, the more likely lag will happen. At higher levels, this complexity and lag will be almost guaranteed. Your approach dooms most jedi aspirants to failure.

As an alternative, make it harder to gain experience (i.e., only through dedication can jedi master be achieved).

My $.02 ... Zillaga

Originally posted by Zillaga

. I doubt that's what was intended. For reasons too numerous to list, lag happens alot. It's the bane of MMRPG players. It drove me away from AO for six months.

OMG! Do I remember! I was in beta, and everything ran pretty ok, and then... suddenly... the dreaded open beta: gah! You could barely be in a town! If you tried to run through a major town, you might as well go brew some tea, since you'll still see the same screen when you came back! :D

Let's just hope that the preparations are a little more thorough in SWG.

I'm just rather upset that I can't apply the FS to to my current character. In the movies, Leia didn't realize she was FS until she was already a successful politician correct? I don't want to start a guy who knows he's FS, I want to suddenly one day have a Jedi Master walk up to me and say, "I have never sensed such strength in the force!"

Blah.

Well now Im positively sure that the FS slot will be permadeath, reguardless to whether or not you are working on your Jedi skills, or even a padiwan.

After quite a bit of discussion my worst fears about this have been confirmed. The dev are making it so that you will probably not achieve a FS character until you've about reached end game, (I just had a wonderful thought) perhaps by accumulating some uncharted FS points through out the game can get you flagged (who knows, Im just speculating). But i'd bet you the water machine out of the SOE lobby it's gonna be a pain. Seeing as how once you have a game like this, where you have ONE char per server, 3 professions you can max out (at most), how long to max out one of these skills...? I read it somewhere but I also forgot :). I forsee a SWG universe filled with masters of trade and skill, large PA's with nothing better to do than powerlevel Jedi, and to quote a DEV these jedi will be unbalancing powerful. I like the sound of that, but at the same time... I can already imagine someone who's been sitting with skills maxxed out for 6 months, getting FS flagged with a ton in the bank and nothing better to do than Farm up Jedi. At that point its just a matter of dedication. I dont think that this current system will keep the number of Jedi low, just make it so that they will be powerlevelled not played.

well...if people have the slot forever...and only more people can get it...i doubt alot of people will get it.

instead of giving alot of people a little experience with it...they are giving a few a TON of experience for it..if you ask me..some people wont be getting their money's worth..o well

Shailoh, man, that was the most unreadable post in a long time. Srry, but could u use paragraphs next time? :)

Anyway, I'm dissapointed that the devs said that after a year of casual play, you still don't have a chance of becoming FS. In other words, only hardcore players have the ability to become FS in a reasonable time.

That contradicts with what they said previously; everyone has the chance of becoming FS, even if they are not hardcore. Ok, if you analyze that sentence; they are still right. But noone plays SWG casual over 2 years or something!

That sucks man, I'll probably wont stick to my computer in all of my spare-time, for 2 years, cuz I have a social life and all. So I will never become FS. That destroys all my hope of ever becoming FS. Oh well, too bad.

I will just have to live out my fantasy and become an Imperial officer. BTW, they said that the Emperors hide out will be on Naboo and that any Imperials can go to him to get missions. WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! I get to be my hero's lacky! I can't wait!

"You will go to Corellia and bring me the remains of the Associates!", j/k kidding guys. I just love messing with you. Seriously though, how cool will it be to be able to take orders from the Emperor himself? Or Vader, or Luke? How cool is that? I wonder, since they have blue glowies, will young Jedi get to meet Obi-Wan?

Lets face it, there are always going to be power-gamers that sell drugs for a living, or have a trust fund, or for whatever other reason, are able to play 8-10 hours a day, everyday and don't have to work (I can't imagine wanting to do that, but...). There's no way to prevent these people from cornering the market on certian items, building the strongest pvp characters, etc. The folks putting together SWG know this, and are taking what I'm sure they think are reasonable precautions to prevent these people from dominating the servers. BUT these power-gamers will still find ways to build the best puppets, get the best items, and so on. After a year of gameplay, many of this type of player will know more about the game than any one of the developers.

Realizing this to be true, I have come to the conclusion that I don't really care. I'm not intersted in pvp, except possibly for fun with friends on occasion, and I dont really care to be the BEST at anything. The fact is that youre NEVER the best at anything- there's always someone better (holds true for 99.9999 percent of us).

I'm just looking forward to exploring, interacting, and coming up with a unique puppet, with unique skills, and possibly a unique hairstyle (ok, serious about everything except the hairstyle), in a gaming world that seems to have limitless possibilites. I feel sorry for those who cant get around their obsession with the Jedi, because there's so much more out there than that.

JS

So basically, we won't see a Jedi for six months to a year. Now don't get me wrong, I don't obsess about being a Jedi or anything, but it would be nice to run into one every now and then. I think on the initial release they should have the system give out a set number of slots at random to create an intitial population. Just like one or two percent or something like that.

If it takes that long to open the slot, I wonder how long it would take to become a Knight....or even a Master for that matter.

Originally posted by Zendjir

Anyway, I'm dissapointed that the devs said that after a year of casual play, you still don't have a chance of becoming FS. In other words, only hardcore players have the ability to become FS in a reasonable time.

That contradicts with what they said previously; everyone has the chance of becoming FS, even if they are not hardcore. Ok, if you analyze that sentence; they are still right. But noone plays SWG casual over 2 years or something!

Originally posted by Zendjir

That sucks man, I'll probably wont stick to my computer in all of my spare-time, for 2 years, cuz I have a social life and all. So I will never become FS. That destroys all my hope of ever becoming FS. Oh well, too bad.

Well, they did say every player would have a chance to become fs. They didn't say every character WOULD become fs eventually. They did say it would be VERY difficult so that most people would never make it to padiwan. I would think that in the natural course of playing over 2 years you could probably be where a hardcore gamer is in 6-9 months. Considering that over time you will have access to information they didn't have while levelling.

This is a game. Dev's dont have time to single out every player and make it a completely different. We can only guess what they want to make a character FS. Could be something as simple has having 2000 hours played and and a character with 2 out of 3 professions maxed out, or a accumulation of "FS" points from running quests and missions in the game. Possibly adding 5 skill points with no deaths. It could be as random as making certain alternate decisions during missions in game, or any combination of the above. Who knows. But it is something that a player will accidently do. The sheer numbers of people playing is going to make it so that more than a "few jedi" will be on every server.

If you are around for 2 years Im sure you will by that point find Jedi and many people who are Hardcore that have been flagged FS. Rather than guess what insurmountable tasks had been achieved to get flagged, you can just ask. Find out what things these people have in common and work your way up from there, find out what things they people haven't done and check them off the possible list of things you might have to do to get flagged.

If the game was too easy.... we wouldn't want to play... If everyone and their mom could become Jedi at the drop of the hat... it would really destroy the continuity of the SWG universe.

Originally posted by Shailoh

If the game was too easy.... we wouldn't want to play... If everyone and their mom could become Jedi at the drop of the hat... it would really destroy the continuity of the SWG universe. [/b]

Exactly, Shailoh. When I meet a jedi ingame, I want the jedi to be believable. I Do Not Want To Meet A Newbie Jedi. Making it hard to become a jedi makes it that the jedi in the game will be experienced, and proud of their status, because they worked their asses off to get it. I don't want to meet someone who just logged in for the first time, runs around and shouts: "ROXXORS! 1 H4V3 4 71GHTZ4BERz!".

Making it an effort is what will make the jedi something special: even in the movies and EU, becoming jedi is not easy. So why should it be easy in SWG? Have the players go to a deserted swamp planet and decapitate their dads/themselves! And have weird hallucinations in a snowstorm about old, dead guys! Making you have to work hard for it will make it worth working hard for!

And no, I have absolutely no pity for the people who is sobbing over the fact that they will have to play the game for a while before they can hope to be jedi. Go play Jedi Knight or something. "Oooh, noone can eeeever play the game for one YEAR to become a jedi! It's so unfaiiiiir!". Get over it.

And yes, my attitude in this matter might be different if I planned on being a jedi. But just slightly. What this post boils down to is this: Anything that prevents newbie/inexperienced jedi players is good in my book. The amount of jedi players on a server is irrelevant compared to the amount of bad jedi players. Call me elitist, but that's how I feel about it.

i think you're all being alittle too dramatic...about meeting a meeting a jedi...for example if i was ajedi you wouldn't be xcited about meeting just because i got some nifty powers..........and i have a feeling that to begin with jedis wont brag with 733t as the such becuase then all you have to do is a get a group of friends that are very good tot ake him out.

I'm not saying that it should be EASY to become a jedi. I'm saying that you should have a CHANCE to become FS in a year. I know that that chance would be allmost 0%, but hey....it might just happen.

I think the devs have smashed the hopes for alot of casual players by saying you can't possibly become FS in a year.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to be easy, I just want it to be possible, I want a small ray of hope. But I'm not that sad :) I didn't plan on becoming a jedi anyway ;).

Archived