Home

PK3 for Mac.

horseflesh

I know that most of you use PC's, but I'm a snob with a Mac. I also have a problem that I hope someone out there can fix.

I need the Mac equivelant of Winzip or Pakscape, I have found a few like Maczip, etc but they don't save files as PK3.

I have no problem unzipping PK3 files using stuffit, it's just when it comes to zipping up as a PK3 I am having bother.

Maybe I should sell the Mac and buy a 'common' PC, like all you peasants !. :D

1. Just make a ZIP and rename the file. Do it via the console if necessary.

You're probably using BASH, so you'd just do this:

mv mypk3.zip mypk3.pk3

2. If you have the money, investing in a really good PC is not a bad idea. PCs dominate the market, and if you want a job in any kind of computer work, you're going to need experience with them (not saying you don't already).

yes but realisticly can people really go and get both, yes and no, I know i have got both, but it depends on what industry you work in and how you were brought up, but your PC dominates the market, is becoming an invalid argument these days as Macs are slowly becoming better than PC's

Games and editing JO will become more easier as gtkrad will be released soon on Mac OS X :)

So Ill be a happier bunny :)

Anakin, Apple's software is better than Microsoft's. If you believe those silly benchmarks that compare the fastest dual CPU G4s with 2 GB of RAM and SCSI HDDs vs mid-end Dell's with 256 MB of RAM and an IDE HDD, and take that as a true sign of Mac performance, well, you'll believe anything.

Emon, um not that I wanna get into a pissing contest (let's face it, ALL computers have their strengths/weaknesses), but there's a couple inaccuracies in your statement.

Apple primarily uses IDE hard drives, the same as in most Dells and other PC manufacturers. That said, high end SCSI drives ARE superior to IDE - ask any film/video editing professional.

And I don't know what particular benchmark performance tests you refer to, however the last one I saw (demonstrated by Apple) had technically equivalent spec'd machines. The ram, hard drive capacity, etc. were pretty much the same. The only difference was that the Apple machine did in fact have two processors, however their combined MHz at best matched the single processor of the Dell (they certainly didn't exceed it).

The most significant difference in performance between the two machines was attributed to the Mac G4's AltiVec architecture, not memory or hard drives (or even MHz really). AltiVec allows a greater bandwidth of raw data to processed quickly and efficiently. However, AltiVec is only good for applications that have been written specifically to take advantage of it. Fortunately, many developers (such as Adobe) are writing software to fully exploit it (thus the high scores in Photoshop).

All this is fine and good, but when it comes to games, ultimately the video card reigns king. Here both systems (Macs & PCs) are at the mercy of Radion and NVIDIA. Macs come equipped (standard) with the exact same video cards available for PCs.

Bottomline, IMHO, it's coming down to more a case of personal preference than performance in determining which is the best choice for you. Right now, Windows' biggest advantage is in software availability and diversity - the Mac's is ease of use and simple elegance (the Aqua frontend to OS X's UNIX core kicks ass). I have and use both systems, though I definitely favor my mac. To each their own. :)

Thankyou guys for all your suggestions, especially KaiaSowapit, drop zip does the job, n1.

As for the Mac v PC argument I have unwittingly started, it really does depend on what you want to do with your machine, I bought my Mac G4 for making music on, great job it does to.

But now I find myself wanting a PC as well as the Mac. Purely for gaming purposes. I guess I'm just greedy though :D

Archived