Home

How could each civ be made more unique?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always wanted a Star Wars RTS game as close to the movies as possible. In order to make the regular RTS fans of other games happy we have to keep a balanced game. I guess a balanced game in other Star Wars games is important too. I guess more important for a RTS game.

Yeah, if you think you have it bad, talk to poor Windu. It amounted to 17 pages and something like 500 posts just trying to explain to Windu (and some devil's advocates) that gunships are a bad idea. I, for one, got quite annoyed and said some choice words and now he's kinda dropped back.

I never did understand why the arguing was about. The gunship was in the game as a fighter. I just think the advanced gunship graphic should of been changed. They should of switched the fast fighter graphic and advanced fighter graphics. That is all I had to gripe about.

Naboo: The attack from garrissoning in prefabs would be pretty weak compared to a turret's attack, so if you rely on it instead of turrets you aren't going to go well. Prefabs are easier to destroy, too.

More unique-ness ideas: One thing I thought was that everyone will need a spaceport, so trading (which I think is an important element in a Star Wars game) can still take place. Then I thought about a move away from a single building for trading, so here's some of my thoughts:

Trade Federation: They conduct resource exchanging from their command centers. Traders (what I am going to call cargo hovercraft equivalents) are built at the command center, and they return traded goods there.

Confederacy: Because the Geonosians are resourceful, exchanging resources is done at their resource drop points (carbon is exchanged for credits at their carbon processing plant, food at their food plant, etc). There traders are built from the InterGalactic Banking Clan Branch building, which also constructs Hailfire Droids.

Empire: The Empire builds a Spaceport-like building, which exchanges resources and builds traders. Slaves (detailed above) can also carry traded goods, but are slower and carry less than Traders.

Any other good ideas?

MM-86: I understand why you are frustrated. A similar feeling once caused me to turn to the dark side and let out my rage on these forums. I too would like a totally Star Wars feel, that's why I reject all the Expanded Universe ideas. But to make the game able to operate you need to take certain liberties.

Added made-up units MUST fit with the style of play for each civ. No one is suggesting giving the Rebels a huge, lumbering, AT-AT-like mech. Little mechs that encourage the civ to be played like the movies are needed. For example, the Rebels should have a small trooper-support mech and a trooper ground-transport to encourage the use of a strong Trooper-based ground force, like they have in the movies. By the way, this is being discussed on another thread, not this one.

That is a good point on spaceports. I notice that the spaceports in general had the same overrall design. Maybe if they had them in GB 2 they could change the actual graphic to make it resemble the civilizations. Give it uniqueness that way.

I suppose all the buildings could be like that.

At the moment in my SWGB2 Design Document I have relatively unique buildings. The best idea I've come up with is for Confederacy. In thinking how to divide the units up amongst the buildings, I thought about how the are a group of organisations, and based it around that idea.

So amongst their buildings are: the Techno Union Factory, which builds Super Battle Droids and the Techno Union Rocket (the large transport that Anakin said to aim right above the fuel cells at); the Corporate Alliance Office, which builds Dwarf and Homing Spider Droids; the InterGalactic Banking Clan Branch, which trades and builds the hailfire droid; and the Geonosian Hive which builds Geonosian Warriors, Picadors and Sonic Cannons. It works quite neatly actually.

At the moment I'm trying to make it so the only generic buildings are Command Center, Jedi/Sith Temple, and Prefab Shelters (though no prefabs for Trade Fed and Confeds).

I like the spaceport ideas. Here's some more, ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous. Feedback would be great.

Royal Naboo: They have a very strong economy, and are a royal and honourable society, so their traders are mounted, hardy and unarmed. Think Royal Crusader. But with no weapons, and big HP. This will probably be built at their Credit Exchange Center, which is this big economic hub, with lots of research options.

Rebel Alliance: The rebels never used official trade channels, and dealt through the black market a lot, so they have something special. Their a speedy medium-class ship which has medium speed, pretty bad HP and armour, barely any weaponry, and can cloak. It's built at something like a Medium Shipyard, which constructs most medium ships. Isn't that intellectual?

Gungans: The Gungans have an amphibious (land and sea) vehicle as their trader, suited to their watery ways. It's built at their Dock, which is the main sea unit production facility. The secondary is a Naval Production Center (please note that these names are generic), which makes some big military ships.

Galactic Republic: As the dominant power in the galaxy, the Republic has huge amounts of trade. To represent this, they have two traders. The first, available fairly early, is a fighter-class ship with medium armour, speed, HP and some weapon power. Unfortunately, it can't carry much; on the other hand, it's cheap, so you can build lots. The second is a lumbering capital ship, with large armour and HP and decent weaponry. The good thing about the second trader, available a while later in the game, is that it can carry far larger amounts of trading goods, thus giving you a greater profit per journey.

New Republic: This trader is unique in that it is actually a person- that is, a trooper-sized unit. With normal trooper speed, this would seem like a bit of a bad deal, but there's something that gives it a large advantage. You take the diplomat (that's what I've called this one) to a foreign Command Center, and the foreign government immediately makes a transaction straight to you. However, there is a time delay between transactions, so why don't you whip your Diplomat off to another foreign CC? The downside of all this is that you can only have one diplomat at any one time, and he's remarkably expensive. He also has fairly terrible stats (low HP/armour, no attack whatsoever).

Another idea I had for this guy is that when you take him to a foreign CC, that government immediately grants you one of their trading vehicles loaded with resources. You are now free to do with this whatever you wish. However, the delay and 1-diplo thing still applies.

Imperial Remnant: I must admit I'm quite stumped on this one.

Smugglers' Union: I'm fairly bursting with ideas for these guys. Representing the fact that they're actually based around trading (well, smuggling to be precise), I figure that their airborne fighter-classed trader is quite well-armed and armoured. It can carry a fairly large amount of resources- and there's a tricky bit as well. The tricky bit is that if you can get your Smuggling Ship (or whatever it's going to be called) either to an enemy trading center or to a resource-gathering center, it fixes itself there and cloaks, and you start to skim quite a bit off the top of their profits. Just launch a fighter raid, and put a SS in with the mix. Perfect smuggling!

Hutt Cartel: Being nasty black-market crimelords at heart, I thought some tricky trading would be good for these people. Their trader is called a Hutt Envoy, and travels in a sail barge, accompanied by several Gamorrean guards at all times. It's a mech, however, and needs a transport to cross space or sea. It goes to the tradee's trading center as usual- but if you press the 'Black Market Profiteering' button, you can actually steal some money from whoever you're 'trading' with as well.

Yuuzhan Vong: Not sure about these either.

Corran, no offense, but I was under the assumption that this build of sWGB2 assumed that only the current civs will be in the games, for simplicity's sake and so that a huge EU vs Purists vs Pro-Gameplay people arguement doesn't erupt. That's why it was titled "How can we expand on the CURRENT civs". The New Republic etc. stuff can be posted on the "ideas for SWGB2 thread", essentally so that I don't have to read them and then fume about how making more than 7-9 civs is RTS suicide.

That said, here comes the constructive conmentary:

Naboo-The idea of making the market/spaceport the central hub of the Naboo's culture is great, but, for functionality purposes, I think traders should be able to traverse any terrain (like in this game). I like having the Naboo have much of their research at the market/spaceport.

Rebs-Though it was true that the Rebs delved into the black market, that would be more like resourse exchange, not trading. I think that trading should be done somewhat standard, but resourse exchange can be done on a mobile unit, possibly even the traders themselves, to expand on the secretive aspect of these deals as well as the rebs mobility.

Gungans-How do the Gungans trade on water maps? Maybe they should have two ways of trading, one standard like, maybe coming from the place where they build air units, and, for water maps, a more effecient way of trading that is centered at the docks?

Reps-Good ideas, but no weapons (this goes for all traders. They shouldn't have weapons for the same reasons transports shouldn't have weapons a la the gunship).

Vostok-Liked the spaceport ideas. A lot. But from a gameplay perspective, slaves really would not need to trade (it doesn't make much sense either).

About the Confeds-

Those ideas are good, but some units are missing. If you don't mind, I'll borrow your ideas and build on them:

Techno Union Factory-Available very early on. Grants 5 pop

Techno Union Battle Droid-Slightly better than its TF counterpart militarily speaking but cant be built nearly as fast (can still be built fast)

Super Battle Droid-Available slightly later than the BD, but immensely superior. Attacks quite fast, but is expensive and takes slightly longer to build than the BD. Good vs. other troopers

Techno Union Rockets-Available at the same time as early air. Can transport.

Corporate Alliance Office-Comes in about the middle of the game

Dwarf Spider Droid-Slow and weakly armored, but has a high attack that deals small splash.

Homing Spider Droid-Comes later than the Dwarf. Sturdier and slightly faster but with less attack. Hurts other machines.

CA Tank (I forget its complete name, but it was something that was in the movie but then cut out. Its the current M for the CF)-Comes in at the same time as the Homing, but it is much more expensive and quite fast. Heavily armored, it has a bonus vs troopers

IGBC Branch-Available slightly later than the CA Office

Trader Unit-See above

Hailfire Droids-Fast, strong but incredibly vurnable. Can hit both air and ground but excels vs air. Has splash damage. the CF's primary AA

Genosian Hive-Available very early. Grants 10 pop

Picardors-Fast troopers that have a bonus vs jedis

Genoisian Warriors-Not much different from the game, but the Confed's only air/AA early on

Sonic Cannon-Ground Seige. OK vs units, but great vs buildings. Splash damage. Available later

Animal related buildng-Available from the start. Grants 5 pop. All animals cost only food and are countered by anti-jedi or bounty units

Nexu-Accessable at the start. Bad vs anything but workers/econ units. Fast and cheap

Reek-These guys are fine as is. Available somewhat early. OK vs buildings and CF's only ground siege early on

Ackalay-Rips up biological units and does ok vs everything. Quite expensive and not very durable

Airport Building-Available around when the Bank is. Grants 5 pop

Genosian Fighter-Takes somewhat long to build, but is heavily armored. Does well vs other air. Fast and moderately priced.

Some sort of Air anti building

And thats it for unique buildings

I agree with Sithmaster about the civs question. For the moment at least lets keep the debate focussed on current civs.

Sith - forgot to mention the Geonosian Hive would build Geonosian Fighters - it just makes sense. There is no "airbase" as such.

As for trading ideas:

Naboo: I had actually considered making the Naboo's buildings and design very similar to that in SWGB1. So they would build a Spaceport like now with a trader. They may have more economic techs available than others.

Rebel Alliance: While not always relying on the black market, they did rely a lot on support from smugglers and gun runners. The Rebels can build a Smuggler, who has a fairly fast vehicle. Resource exchange is done through the smuggler: you select him and exchange just as if he was a spaceport. He is also the rebels trader, who travels between ally's spaceport-equivalents. Allies gather trade from the Rebel's Command Center (which builds the smuggler).

Gungans: I was thinking something similar, Corran. I was thinking the Gungans build two sea-based buildings, the shipyard-equivalent that builds military ships and the spaceport-equivalent, that can be built floating on water (but also on land) by the Gungan's amphibious workers. The spaceport-equivalent builds traders, exchanges resources and can also build additional workers. Fish can be returned there too.

Galactic Republic: Good ideas. I was thinking of having two types of trader for one civ, and the Republic fits it well.

I was thinking of possibly given the trading ships a weapon of some sort. I always lose all of my ships that are trading to my allies when they are at their base. You can't do much because your base is far from there base. Your military couldn't travel there in time. I mean the weapon wouldn't be that strong. Just enough to escape and return to the base. I also think if you are using the trade it should be able to store in the spaceport.

Come on people, this is an ideas thread, with ideas how to make civs (any civs) more unique. We're throwing ideas, about traders currently, and I'm throwing some for some civs that may be in the game. I'm asking whether you think the ideas are practical and good for gameplay, not if the civs should be included in the game.

Now for the counter-criticisms...

Naboo: Vostok, what's wrong with the central hub idea? If it is the central hub, I think it deserves a better name than 'Spaceport.'

Traversing any terrain makes all traders air units, and that is clearly unsuitable for every single civ, and for gameplay in general. I specifically made this one a ground unit for both gameplay and civ-feel purposes. You want to trade with an ally that isn't accessible by land? Build a single transport. Simple.

Rebels: Sith, Gameplay>Realism. We know that the Rebels didn't use normal trade channels, and they had links will smugglers, so this unit clearly represents that. I like the idea about resource exchange being done on the ship though.

Vostok, I'm trying to achieve the same thing, but it looks like you didn't even notice my idea. The stats etc of my trader adds a lot of civ-feel (what you suggested sounds like a whole bunch of others), but once again, I like the resource exchange thing. However, I think it should be built at the medium-ship center, and allies actually trade with the trader unit, rather than a building.

Gungans: Sith, we don't want the Gungans to have a big trading advantage on water maps, and a disadvantage on non-water. They have a mech trader that, for uniqueness and civ-feel, can go through water as well. As Vostok said, perhaps their basic sea-construction building can be built on land.

Galactic Republic: Sith, what's wrong with transports and traders having weapons? Transports will be lots of fun and great for realism and uniqueness (eg gunship), while it will add more uniqueness to the traders (rather than all of them having identical stats) as well as more civ-feel.

Could I please have some feedback on my new-civ traders?

Naboo: Corran, how is your "central hub" different to the old spaceport apart from name (which I intend to change anyway)? Is it heavily fortified, does it have an attack, etc...

Rebels: I did read yours, I was outlining the concept I had. I thought about having allies trade with the trader, but I think that would be bad for the allies because they would automatically go to the closest one, which would give them the lest trade credits. How do you think this could work? Perhaps they trade with the medium-ship center. I also don't think the smuggler should cloak, that would give the rebels a pretty big advantage, but I do think it should be slightly faster than average.

Gungans: Just expanding on ideas here, what if the Gungans have no utility trawler as such, as their workers are amphibious anyway. They can also build their "market" (to be renamed) anywhere on water or land, which can build additional workers (at a slower rate than the Command Center), builds traders, enables resource exchange and is a drop point for resources.

Republic: I think having traders with an attack is great, though the attack won't be anything special. No-one is going to one using a trader-rush tactic. I would say it is perfect for the Republic, but sort of had it reserved for the Confederacy or Trade Federation. I think it suits either of them better, since they are highly trade focussed and they like to protect their interests. So what can the Republic have... I think definitely two different types of trader as you suggested earlier, Corran. Perhaps a fairly basic one to start but in the final tech level they have access to an airborne one? Or one is weak and fast and the other strong and slow? They would probably have a basic old-style Spaceport for their trader building and resource exchange. Or maybe they could do it at their prefabs? - No idea why, it's just an idea that could maybe be used for another civ...

Naboo: My central hub is quite different to a basic spaceport, which caters for nothing but trading and resource exchange. It is, indeed, a central hub, and contributes hugely to the Naboo's success as a civilisation. It's basically the secondary center of their base (next to the main Command Center). It offers large amounts of research options, all centered around economics, but with some that also deal with the military. It builds traders and handles research exchange. It can be a drop point for any kind of resource, and if you make the extra trek to the Credit Exchange Center instead of your normal Food Proc Center (or whatever) you gain a small credit bonus.

Rebels: Allies wouldn't necessarily have to go to the closest one. They just pick. The Rebel player could have a bunch specifically designed for trading, which they position wherever they decide gives the most trading benefit. This is actually quite useful for trades with certain civs- for example, you could have one far away from the Republic's base for their speedy trader, and one closer for their slow trader. This is far preferable to simply trading with a military production yard. And the cloaking is meant to give an advantage. It represents the fact that the Rebels are good at trading, and can use it to gain quite a bit of wealth. But perhaps to counter it, the trader won't have much room for resources.

Gungans: I don't think the market should be able to build workers. This is a privelage that should be reserved for the Command Center only. Otherwise, this single building would be very overpowered. Also, not giving the Gungans a util trawler is ridiculous. Why should they, the best sea-faring civ, be denied the basic versatile sea unit in favour of a worker that would have to be far less good at the util's job (unless you wanted it to be overpowered)? Sure, amphibious workers is a good idea, but on top of everything else, not instead of.

Republic: The idea of an armed trader suits the Rep just fine. They are pretty trade-focussed, but sure, the Trade Fed is more trade-focussed. So their trading vessel is perhaps better armoured, or can carry more, and so on. What's wrong with my original trader? Only getting the slow airborne one in the endgame would make it pointless. And don't think in tech levels...

Naboo: Okedokey, needs balancing but I assume that it will be relatively expensive. I think it should build transports too (I picture it being like the place Padme and Anakin land when they go to Naboo in Episode II) and maybe even have a small attack.

Rebels: Fine, but I still think no cloaking. We've been through this before about cloaking devices. Let's just make it speedy. And what's this "fact that the Rebels are good at trading"?

Gungans: I think no utility trawler. What can the utility trawler do that an amphibious worker can't? Sure the worker will move slower in water, but the Gungans can build the Market anywhere in the water, where fish can be dropped. And since we'll probably have unlimited fish schools, it will be fine. Amphibious workers can build all the stuff utility trawlers could too. I really want to move away from the generic unit of utility trawler anyway, like I imagine one civ's frigate-equivalent will be doing the fishing.

Republic: Well the airborne trader all depends on how air units are treated. If, as I want, they are better integrated with more units able to attack them, an airborne trader will be fine. But if they can only be shot by AA units it is overpowered.

Just going to recap the other civs we haven't discussed for a while...

Confederacy: Exchange resources at their resource drop-points. Trader built at the InterGalactic Banking Clan Branch. Allies trade with InterGalactic Banking Clan Branch.

Trade Federation: Exchange resources at their Command Center. Trader built at Command Center. Allies trade with Command Center.

Galactic Empire: Spaceport as it is now. (Someone has to have the old generic trading).

How bout the Rebs don't get any fortress? Only certain civs such as the empire and republic get that?

I really don't care what type of spaceport they make.

I think that the confederacy should have a bizare mixture of buildings, some are made out of metal and stand in all out defiance others comoflauge themselves into the terrain other still are moderatley open....

I pretty much agree with Vostok on everything but here's a few things:

-Corran, your Central Hub Building (as a universal gathering point) is a great idea, but the whole extra credits is a little too powerful. It is related to the next topic I was going to brooch: varied resource drop points. And, no, no attack is nessecary and transports should still be constructed at the airbase.

-Trader's ability to cross any terrain, but not trees/walls was one of the greatest innovations that LA implemented for SWGB. It was ingenius because now they could implement a varied amount of impassable terrain, and never have to worry about which trader to use. And making them land units ensured that they would remain vernable to assualts.

-Traders shouldn't have weapons. Period. Same reason transports shouldn't have weapons. If you want more, search for anyone of the gunship threads (especially the last long one). That was one of the major snags the gunship idea caught, and porbably the one most argued.

-I like the idea of a building that can be built on land as well as at the shore, but amphibious workers have imbalances already discussed

--Cloaking traders is horrendously overpowered. Rebs can trade at will, even in enemy territory if they are cloaked, and it would be vitually impossible to stop.

This is where the "Swamp" we were discussing earlier for the Gungans could help. It limits where the workers can build, so that problem is solved. With this in mind I am now in support of the Swamp. It may seem like a bit of a rip-off from Zerg/Undead, but perhaps we can make it less so. For the Zerg/Undead, it was the buildings that provided the Swamp. Perhaps we could make a unit (non-amphibious, obviously) that makes the area swampy. Like a Worker with a big hose or something... :D Anyway he might wander around semi-randomly making the ground watery.

If no-one likes that, lets think of something else. I'd really like to make the amphibious worker thing work, it would really make for a unique RTS.

Vostok's trader summaries: Cloaking is still a good idea (I'll cover this later), air units will be treated fairly (not all ground units will be able to attack them, but the enemy will have air units which will be good against traders), and the amphibious worker makes the Gungans worse at sea than they should be.

I pretty much agree with Vostok on everything but here's a few things:

Central Hub: Yeah, I thought the bonus creds was a little too good too.

Trader terrain crossing: We're trying to make unique things here, and you keep restricting it to terribly basic GB1 concepts. It wasn't very ingenious. It was more like 'the trader's ability to cross sea, and otherwise it is just a typical AoK trader.'

Trader weapons: Look, they should have weapons. It would add to uniqueness, gameplay and realism. The gunship threads are all dead, but you're welcome to start a new 'trader and transport weapons' one if you like.

Amphibious workers: They're just not good enough. The Gungans should be able to build many (several, at least) buildings in the sea, and having a slow worker (for balance reasons) building them instead of a fully unique, very Gungan, rather good basic sea unit (ie util trawler thing) build them just isn't right.

Cloaking traders: Rebs are meant to be able to trade at will. Everyone is able to trade at will. That's a bit of a blanket statement. But certain things can detect cloak, and just like the SDs constantly pursuing the Millenium Falcon, defenses will swiftly crack down on any Rebel traders they see and destroy them.

Swamp: Er, I'm not sure about the guy with the hose. But the general idea of having a creep/blight-ish thing is good.

Corran-Being unique doesn't just mean doing everything differently than the sequel did. Some parts are included for gameplay purposes and they shouldn't be changed just because the original did it that way. The whole trader-terrain thing is implemented so that the traders can be used in every game. This way it doesn't matter if your ally is on a different astroid or a different island or across a pool of lava, you can still access a fundemental aspect like trading just as you would on all land maps. Also, this makes trading more beneficial because it allows traders to take the most direct route thus getting more resources.

Weapons on traders are a bad idea because if they are made to be balanced, then they won't be worth using. If they were ever worth using, then they would be overpowered. Also, if my traders are being attacked, I would rather them continue trading and hopefully escape the attackers than waste their time doing 2 damage to an AT-AT. Both those points and a bunch more were brought up on the gunship thread, so i suggest rereading it, even if its dead.

Cloaking is the most unbalanced idea for trade routes. The thing that makes trading balanced is its vurnability. And they are vurnable because they can be seen by any one of the enemy's troops. Cloaked traders would require you to comb the entire map with your detector units until you find a trader. You kill it and the reb guy readjusts his trade route and you have to comb the entire map again.

Swamps-The essence of being unique is that you don't swipe ideas from other games (even though blizzard does that to their own games and others)

I guess it,s a little late since SWGB1 is almost an AoK rip-off.

Besides it doesn't really matter we can use a swamp thingy.

Armed traders- exactly! Why wasting your time fighting bad when you know it's gonna die without causing enough damage.

Cloaked traders- Good point. However that's kind of how the rebs actually work...

Archived