Home

How could each civ be made more unique?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about not letting the Republic build walls until late in the game? This would make them less defensive-minded I think.

I was also thinking as a bit of uniqueness amongst civs that due to the Trade Federation's and Confederacy's economic interests, the Trade Federation's Cargo Hovercrafts would have a weak attack (perhaps trooper strength or less) and the Confederacy's resource drop-points would have a similar attack. Nothing spectacular but it adds a bit of character.

I think it would add uniqueness if all the civilizations didn't have the same types of units. Really the rebels don't need anti-air or thermal detonator troopers. The empire doesn't really need undeployed cannons, artillery, or pummels. The air Cruisers in all civilizations should be totally removed. Those are just examples of what I can think of right now.

Thanks joe, but if you read the top of the thread you would see that I wanted to discuss things other than unit differences (which has already been discussed).

Here's another idea I had: the Empire can build Slaves, which are cheaper and work faster than Workers, but are weaker and cannot build buildings.

I have a great idea how to make the civ's more uniqe:

Keep the game as close to the movies as possible!

Wich means:

No gungan aircraft.

Only the Empire has bombers.

No rebel mechs.

Trade federation don't suck that much.

And yes, it can be done.

As i have mentioned in another tread, the GLA in CC Generals don't have any airforce, and they do great!

The Y-wing could be a fighter, a little bit slower than the rest of the rebels fighters, but it could be able to launch proton-torpedoes wich is good vs buildings, but not as good as the TIE bomber.

According to starwars.com the Y-wing has proton-torpedoes, it should be able to fire laser cannons too.

I don't think it would be wise to base it utterly and completely on the movies. I mean, if we did that, it'd have no buildable Jedi and Sith, no unit classes at all for many civs (eg no gungan air), way less units all around, and a terrible case of gameplay>realism thinking.

It's good to base some things on the movies- for example, the Imperials have big heavy mechs while the Rebels have light speedy mechs- but to have every single unit and unit class defined solely by several hours of film is just foolish.

*sigh*

I DID NOT SAY THAT YOU SHOULD BASE THE GAME ENTIRELY ON THE MOVIES, BUT TO STICK AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO THEM!!!!

Ok, i beleive I made myself understood this time.

Now, think forward, todays RTS games have very varying civ's, some without an airforce, and some without a fleet, but still, the games are very balanced.

Ofcourse, you have to fill out some strategic gaps like give the Gungans some AA-units and make imperial stormtroopers be able to actually hit the broadside of a Bantha.

But you don't have to give the Gungans an airforce, the Rebels don't really need any mechs and we can surely make a balanced game without crap like artillery, pummels and ships.

Also, if SWGB 2 isn't going to be in 2D, and all units are the same but with different graphics, then we can't have that many civ's and units, now can we?

By the way, not giving the Y-wing and TIE bomber a small laser-attack sucks.

I sorta agree the Y-wing and Tie Bombers should be given a small laser besides the bombs. Just like if they have Tie Defenders in GB2 they should shoot 4 shots not 2. The x-wings should be the same way. That could go for AT-AT Walkers and AT-AT Walkers which had more weapons than 2 laser canons. Even the Trade Federation Tank had more than 2 lasers. AT-TE Walker has multiple weapons. Many aircraft and mechs had more than two weapons in each civilization.

Realism young padawan, realism!

We want a cool game with good effects like: AAT recoiling, swinging it's turret. Fighters actually fighting eachother in real dogfights. Landingcrafts landing on the surface. Battleships with several gunbatteries.

Stuff like that, bombers shooting in the movies-realism!

We do not want 12 civs with a few true SW-units and a 2D game, we want a cool SW-game with good effects, 3D, and units true to the movies in most cases.

It can be done, i promise you!

Dammit you beat me to the punch...

Vostok, the slaves are a great idea, but i think they should be a little different than you proposed, for balance reasons. If they are cheaper, then there is no way in hell they are working faster. Sorta like Thor's dwarves... you can build a lot, but they aren't as good. Speaking about worker costs, here's my ideas:

Empire-Worker-Carbon/Slave-Food

Rebs-Carbon

Gungs-Food

Wooks-Food

ConFeds-Food

Trade Feds-Carbon

Reps-Carbon

Naboo-Credits (But they are more effecient. Highlights Naboo's economy's dependance on money as well as its ability to outperform others. Makes them more unique)

What do you think?

MM-86: Yes, as Luke's dad said- Gameplay>Realism. Your idea is a clear example of realism>gameplay thinking, and will thus lead to a bad game.

Vostok: I like the Slave idea, however, I'd prefer a few changes. I'd like to see them as expensive, built fast, and good at gathering map-unique resources (ie Credits) and Carbon, but bad at gathering Food and constructing buildings. How does that sound?

Sith: Um... well, if Carbon, Food and Credits are the only resources, then that makes sense. However, I think the Naboo might be a little disadvantaged, seeing as you're trying to base their entire civ on credits.

By the way, that sounds a bit like something else out of some other game. I'll give you a hint..... it starts with E....

Corran-?

The Naboo aren't completely dependant on credits. Only their workers cost credits. Aging, the main source of the early game food strain still costs whatever it costs for everyone else. And if you thought that it was similar to the eggies, then you're wrong. The Eggies military is dependant on gold but the econ is completely dependant on food. And they actually gather much slower than the other civs, and rely on their cheap econ-efficient military to outperform everyone else, whereas the Naboo are supposed to have a quite costly military.

well if you say the naboo have a strong econ and costly military it's gonna make them really weak vs rushes isn't it?

Naboo troopers are the worst and they are the ones who are supposed to be the first unit you can build. If they cost too much then they will have fewer troopers and weaker troopers early on.

Excellent ideas with the worker costs. And I don't think it would be unbalanced at all. If you are a droid-worker civilisation, you mine carbon as your priority going into the game. A biological-worker civ you start with the food gathering. If you're Naboo, you go for the nearest Spice deposit of Gas cloud.

Good suggestions for the Slaves as well.

I think having the Naboo garrisson in their prefabs is fairly similar to the movie. When the Trade Fed invades Theed, all the buildings are shut up tight. I can imagine in some parts of the city the Security Force might have holed themselves up to deal with the invasion force.

That's it!

I am not new in this forum, I became a member a very long time ago, but i took a very long brake, so yes i remember those stupid old fashioned words.

To hell with everything!

I have tried to make you see the light, Star wars RTS!

But no no no, you wan't a totally new made up Sci-fi RTS, you have refused to see the possibilities!

Hey! I have a great idea!

Lets make an SWGB 2, it should have 20 civs, and atleast 12 of those have to be totally made up and non-star wars.

And we could use the AOK engine again! It would be so cool with having all the units the same but with different graphics!

And while we are talking about it, why can't we have some Star trek units in the game?

It would be so cool if the Empire or the Ewok civ could have a Borg cube or the Enterprise!!!!!

But to make the game balanced we have to make the Stardestroyer not having any turbolasers. It could just fly over the enemy base and work as a cannon fodder...no, that would be unbalanced...But hey! If we gave the gungans a battleship able to fly in space, "Rosborro cheeta" it could be called!

And we could make the Rebels have so many mechs!!!!

Here is your collected ideas, I am now leaving this forum after my useless attempt to make it a Star wars RTS. But i will still be watching you. And perhaps, after a long time, i will come back when you have seen the truth.

Good luck to you all, and may the force be with you.

I like the Naboo prefab-garrisoning. However, we wouldn't want people to start using prefabs as towers and the like. Would this be more like a last-ditch thing? And if so, why don't we let them use every building?

MM-86: Whoa whoa whoa. Nobody said you were a n00b. And you shouldn't take offense at such things.

You tried to make us accept several realism>gameplay ideas. We have pointed out the flaws, and rejected them.

We do not want a totally new made up SF-RTS. We are coming up with ideas for a Star Wars game, which has to make concessions in the realism department because it's a game, not a movie.

Every single civ that's ever been proposed (that I know of, and that has been recognised as a half-decent idea) is Star Wars in some way. Several EU civs have been proposed, but they're not totally made-up, and they are Star Wars.

Who wants the AoK engine again? Look the the Engine thread.... we're all talking about all the new-gen engines like AoM and RoN, or a totally new GB2 engine.

Star Trek units? Nobody's ever proposed such things.

Nobody ever wanted a Star Destroyer or other ridiculous units either, and our ideas of balance are quite different to those that you just posted.

We want the Rebels to have a couple of mechs that fit with their gameplay style and would be fun to use. Not 'so many mechs.'

Those are by no means our collected ideas. You are leaving this forum after posting several ideas which were pointed out as flawed and thus dismissed. Seen the truth? You mean 'accepted everything I have said,' and seeing as everyone has a right to post what they like in this forum (including spam), that will never happen. Unless we're all brainwashed or something.

I don't want you to leave, and I think it's foolish of you to leave just because some of your ideas were rejected. Everyone gets ideas rejected all the time (*cough* Gunship *cough*), and you'll almost never find a unanimous agreement, so don't take these few defeats the wrong way.

Archived