Home

How could each civ be made more unique?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cloaked traders? Not a good idea. I could see it now... I lost cuz in tech. 2 the rebs sent traders into my base as look outs...

All of the buildings in SWGB looked exactley the same from one civ to the next, that should change. (ex. no such thing as a troop center in all the civs that basicly looks the same)

The troopers should not hold the same guns, in Tech.3 the TF,GE,RA,GR all had the same type of gun. Come on if Lucasfilm can make up weapons for the movies LA should be able to do the same.

If Gungan Workers are amphibious, they could be just as fast as other civs utility trawlers, and I don't think it would be unbalanced. I think the only buildings they can actually build fully on water is the Market and Prefab Shelters.

So what is the concensus on Swamp? If it is implemented, should all buildings generate Swamp, only some buildings generate Swamp, or a particular unit generate swamp?

Armed Traders - while I like the idea it is true that in game terms it doesn't work well, so I'm going to say no.

Cloaked Traders - it seems no-one likes this idea which is just as well because it is so wrong. Not only in gameplay, but "No ship that small has a cloaking device!" (Captain Needa).

Swamps- I was thinking the CC won't need it and the ressourcess drop-points neither. I thought we could have a special building(like zerg creep colony but not working the same way) it could be some kind of power core that generates the swamps around it.

Or we can always have a gungan worker with a hose...

Now thats a good idea: the power core building thing generates the swamp. But still doesn't work with amphib workers. I still think they should have a water villie and a land villie (the Gungans are already powerful on water maps. Lets atleast make the other civs viable.

OFF TOPIC:

Since this is about new games, I'd like the opportunity to vent about the new AoM X-Pack.

WTF WERE THEY THINKING? ATLANTIS? And what make up everything about the civ a la Blizzard. I always thought of ES as the anti-Blizzard (which, to me, means you are VERY GOOD), but now I don't know. And that big titan thing reminds me of WC3's inferno. If both companies keep ripping ideas off each other, they'll soon be making identical games. ATLANTIS! F-in' Atlantis! Out of all the different civs they could choose (foremost being the Aztecs I was long awaiting) they go and make one up. And on top of that, they are practically identical to the Greeks!

See for yourself:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/ageofmythology/titans.asp

Yeah, once we are officially done with trading, I think we should start on creative approaches to power/sheilding. Also, full civs descriptions (a la the Con Feds by me and Vostok) would also be nice. I'm thinking of going through the thread and summing up everything that was agreed upon (so we have soemthing to build off of).

Well I don't care abouth ther swamps either way is good for me.

Something must be done about the sheilds. In the movies it was IMPOSSIBLE to get threw you first had to destroy the sheild generator outside the base then the shield would go down and then you attack. Though it does seem that craft with feet, legs can easily walk threw them.. So some civs could only send troops threw the shilds wile other could send an army. So I think you should do it like te movies you must build the shield get outside the base. And troops firmly attached to the ground can get threw yet floating ones can't

Then make them really expinsive and allow units that are attached to the ground go threw, no hover things or fighter.

That way you building is protected till

a.) they destroy the shield gen. (outside of the shield)

b.) they send troops in side the shielded area and blow the building

Sith: I think the trading ideas have been settled (in my eyes, anyway). I'm currently writing a document similar to the one you said you were writing a while ago. It should be ready some time in the next couple of weeks. I'll stick it on my website.

Power: How about each civ gets power in different ways? The Gungans use Swamp so technically don't use "power". The Confeds should have to build power cores like now (except they should look like the think Dooku made fall on Anakin and Obi-Wan). The Trade Federation's Command Center (which is like a droid control core) should have a relatively large power radius. The Naboo's resource drop points act as power cores, as they generate power from the raw resources (the Naboo are very environmentally concious). The Rebels rely totally on power droids (maybe they are the only ones that can build them). That's all I got so far.

I think that most civs should still have some kind of power core, with a few special unique ones. Here's a few ideas.

Gungans: They either need swamp or sea to 'power' your buildings. Swamp can be laid down by a worker (which is quite expensive, and not really cost-effective, but you use it for forward bases and the like), or produced in masses by a special building which hasn't got a name yet.

Galactic Republic: They use small, medium-cost GB1-style power cores for the first part of the game, with a small to medium radius, and eventually gain access to the Power Generator, which has a large radius.

Confederacy: They build cheap power cores with a small-to-medium radius, similar to GB1.

Trade Federation: Okay, here's a bit of a new idea for these guys. Instead of power, you have to worry about Control for your droid armies. TF units outside of a Control radius will function erratically or perhaps simply power down. The Command Center provides a decent Control radius and can build Lesser Control Receptors, mobile units which have a small Control radius. But you'll soon want to build the Droid Control Center, which has a large Control radius, and can build Greater Control Receptors and Airborne Control Receptors. Workers can also build Control Relays, which have a medium radius- sorta like a Sentry Post for Control. Also, for balance, scouts and the like could have in-built Control.

Royal Naboo: The Naboo don't have to worry about power in any way, because all their buildings have inbuilt power sources.

Rebel Alliance: They get highly mobile Power Droids from the Command Center or, later, some kind of mech production facility. The Power Droids have a small power range, are fairly cheap, and have medium speed.

Galactic Empire: They begin by building Gonk (fridge-looking) droids, which have a medium power range but are quite slow (the power droids from GB1). Then they move onto Power Stations, which are basically smaller versions of the Republic Generators.

That's all for now, but I had another idea that I wanted to give to some civ or another. Each building has a button called 'Backup Power.' When you push it, the building switches to an emergency inbuilt power source and can do everything it did with a normal power source, but with a constant draining resource cost (like .5 credits a second or something). Who do you think should get this?

Gungans/Reps/Rebs/Naboo/Confeds-All good ideas (liked the Naboo power one a lot)

TF-I think that the Central droid control center should start with a wide power radius, and then as they leave that radius, they need to build buildings that transmit the power from the Central center. Its similar to Corran's idea, but uses power instead of control and buildings instead of units as receptors (in the name of gameplay).

GE-I think that Power Plants, expensive and heavily armored buildings that generate a wide radius would better fit the GE's personality

TF- That sounds the same as mine, except without the receptors. But I see the receptors as making much more sense. Who wants to be constructing relays along the way as their soldiers march to the enemy base? Who wants to be setting up a whole system as soon as battle is joined, so that your troops don't get massacred when the single one you've already got is destroyed? And your idea requires workers to have inbuilt Control, which is something I don't agree with. Receptors would be a lot more fun- scatter a whole bunch through your army and you're fine, but they still provide targets for the discerning enemy general.

GE- Well, I was thinking that, but that's exactly like the GR, and you already said you like that idea. I want there to be differences, and I think the Power Plant is the way to go, instead of a duplicate of the Generator.

Trade Federation: Hmm, not sure about Control instead of Power idea. It seems very restricting or maybe too complicated. I can't explain it but I don't like it. An enemy could beat them by just focussing on the control-emitting units/buildings. It doesn't seem right. I prefer my idea where the Command Centers provide a power radius.

Naboo: I was thinking they would build large power buildings like the one we see in Episode I. This is the only actual power generation facility we see so it seems a pity not to use it. It has no radius, instead you only need one to power any building on the map. However, most players will want more than one as a backup.

Galactic Empire: How about their resource drop sites provide power? No particular reason other than to make things different.

Galactic Republic: I think these guys should be the ones with the built in power, not Naboo.

Gungans: Swamp instead of power, as said above.

Rebels: Power droids, (and later on mobile generators), as said above.

Confederacy: Power cores like SWGB1, as said above.

Archived