Home

Does LeChuck have a heart?

Joshi

This question arose in a different thread and I just wanted to discuss it here. Most think that he's a foul smelling villian with no compasion for others and as evil as hilters advisors with no heart. I don't believe this, LeChuck seems to truly love Elaine and care for her, despite the constant kidnappings and tieing up. And also, this whole thing started because of his love for Elaine, so he can't be all bad can he (he has his lighter sides in CMI)

what do you think?

open For disscussion.

I think he's an imaginary character in a computer game, who's undergone subtle character changes with each development team and overanalysis would be futile.

In defiance of my previous statement

This is a sneery post, but its also true. The characters change each game, hes good and bad in various games, mi2 vs emi for instance. MI5 might well revolve around a repentent LeChuck eager to hug puppies and set up 'The LeChuck foundation' for disadvantaged kids. On the other hand it might revolve around LeChuck hunting down some achme evil talisman to destroy the world. He's good or bad according to the developers whims.

well, okay. in my opinion, this forums is here to discuss Monkey Island, so i think we're entitled to a little overanalysis (otherwise the MI2 ending threads were completely pointless). okay, i'm going to go through the games.

basically, in the first one, he was a tyrant, but it was all for elaine, that was clearly explained. in MI2 he seemed to have forgotten his love for her, but that was probably because of his new found hatred for guybrush and was maybe planning of getting guybrush out of the way before moving on elaine. but in MI2, he did seem more tyranouse and evil with clear intentions. MI3, it was clearly shown that now he had gotten rid of guybrush, he would go after elaine as established in the beginning. in my opinion, he was better in MI3, probably because of his larger part at the end (well, you got to talk to him more). he seemed to show a bit more of his leadership and dictatorship here whilst still being playful and stupid, obviously for the younger audiences. this was played down a little in MI4, btu not too much, he has grown a bit smarter in my opinion and slightly more evil but still witht he clear intentions of capturing elaines heart. thinking of the details of his past that wev'e got, i think we can safely say that in this day and age, he would be considered the criminally insane, but back then, a perfect moddel pirate (remember, pirates back then weren't as lovable as we're lead to believe, think of the word pirate). but i think that inside him, he has a small heart which longs for a love.

I'd like to see some kind of Star Wars-like "I know there is good in you" scene somewhere in Monkey Island five. After all, they are "brothers", something that was missed in EMI.

Less comedy for the sake of comedy, if you see what I mean.

i'm currently writing a new fan novel (no where no the web so i can't link you, sorry) which tells the story of Grandpa Marley and Lechuck before he was dead. it portrays lechuck as being a good guy and helping Marley as his cabin boy, but gets turned to the bad side by the trouble maker, Largo LeGrand. i think it'll be quite good. especdially since i'm currently writing another fan novel, part of which is here (i endorse it as much as i can) which, in the end, see's lechuck almost being good (i won't push it, i'm trying to make a slight spoof without being too cliche, impossible? probably, but i'll try anyway.)

I'm probably waaaaaaaay too late to say this, but in my opinion LeChuck has a heart (just like everyone else).

It's just that he has given it to Elaine. Too bad she doesn't feel the same way.

About all the tying up? Well it's kinda like on Eastenders when Trevor was doing the same kind of stuff to Little Mo.

LeChuck loves Elaine soo much that he gets way to possessive, and he doesn't realise he's hurting her.

hmm, except trevor knew he was hurting lil' mo and he was doing it so she would be too scared to fight back or run away so she stayed with him. yes, he did love her, but he tried to keep her with fear as he himself was afraid of losing her and had a short fuse. lechcuk on the other hand doesn't know how to make elaine love him and so he tires every way he can think of. but now we can't compare monkey island to a soap, and especially not eastbenders. it's completely different, it would be like comparing a soap opera to lord of teh rings, in different ways, they deal with the same issue,s it's just that ones has a much better way of doing so than the other.

yeah, but it would suck because anything where some evil guy teams up with a good guy stinks. and besides, ozzie is already dead, unless he becomes like lechuck and his evil spirit lives on or whatever. but that would be really stupid. and what motivation would lechuck even have to switch to the good side anyway?

Lechuck: "I will then take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it my screaming chair. Every day I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"

Oh yeah, Lechucks a good guy really :p

LeChuck's a tourtured soul that will do anything to make Elaine love him. He kills because he loves her so much, that he dosen't want Elaine to make the "wrong chiose".

So, in a way, he does and doesn't.

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

you know, it could easily happen that lechuck teams up with guybrush reluctantly. maybe something happens to elaine, well, they both love elaine so they could both reluctantly team up and save her.

Yeah, that's the angle I'm after. Ozzy's a ghost in MI5 and kills Herman, and kidnappes Elaine (That sounds firmiler). Guybrush and LeChuck team up to get her back. Ozzy says to face him at Blood Island to get her back. Puzzle, puzzle, puzzle. Crew, whatever, whatever. Islands, Islands, Islands. They find Largo is working for Ozzy. At the end they go to Blood. After a fierse battle, Largo kills Guybrush (Remember what the Voodoo Lady says in MI3?). LeChuck, (Ghost form). Enters Guybrush's body and revives him. They kill Largo and Ozzy, get the girl, and stuff. LeChuck's soul go's to Heaven since he saved a life.

The End

Too bad for Toothrot.

why is this sounding very familiar?

http://www.worldofmi.com/features/fan/novels/fetch.php?chapterid=93&novelid=38

pay close attention to part one of chapter 2. this was by the way the direction i was going in except no dead guybrush. and also, if lechuck takes guybrush's body and saves elaine (something he didn't need guybrush's body for in the first place) and then goes to heaven, his soul would have left guybrush's body leaving guybrush dead again.

Archived