Home

MotF: Vastly Improved Saber Collision Demo!

razorace

Ok, I've got some fresh-from-the-camera demos of the new saber collision system I'm working on. It's in the very early stages but you'll be able to see the improved collisions if you watch carefully.

The new saber system is something that you gotta experience to truely get the "feel" of it. These aren't the best of demos. They were done on impulse to show the community that JK2 isn't dead and can still be a fun game.

As of now, the major issues are:

1. Sabers often aren't stopped or deflected by a impact. That means that sabers often pass thru bodies/walls/sabers/etc even with the better collisions.

2. Body hits get an automatic blocking "roll". This works ok when you've got boxes for a body and a saber but with polygon collisions is looks stupid. You'll OFTEN hit the body and have it act like a saber block.

Both problems are going to require some serious work to fix. I've got a plan of action but it's going to take some time to do right.

Kyle Vs. Desann

Luke Vs. Vader

I personally feel the K vs D demo shows the saber system better.

Oh yeah, some of you probably haven't run a demo before. Here is how:

1. d/l demo.

2. place the demo in the /gameData/base/demos dir of your JK2 directory. if you have never run or recorded a demo in vanilla JK2, you'll probably need to creat this folder.

3. Start up JK2 in multiplayer mode.

4. open the console (shift+~)

5. Type in demo demoname. the demo will load up and play.

NOTE: pressing any key while watching a demo will cause it to stop and exit to the main menu.

--Razor Ace

It's probably going to be a while. The saber code is going to have to be gutted to get this the way we want it. Don't worry, it'll be worth the wait.

The collision improvement is basically done except for more testing and some internal code fixes. My blade model needs some improvement and I still can't get the damn bolts to attach the way I want them to. I can hack it (as it is now) but I'm not happy with it yet.

The biggie now is figuring out how I want to change the saber system.

In the meanwhile, I suggest you try the out MotF R2 that was release this weekend. It's not on the file servers yet but it can be found at http://personal.palouse.net/razorace/MotFR2.zip

However, now is the time to bug me about what you want the ideal saber system to be like. Doable "ideal", dynamic on-the-fly control like in Die by the Sword is out of the question, sorry.

Me and the rest of the team have the general idea down but we're open to good suggestions (leave the bad suggestions at home. :D )

Originally posted by razorace

Sabers often aren't stopped or deflected by a impact. That means that sabers often pass thru bodies/walls/sabers/etc even with the better collisions.

I thought sabers DID pass through everything but other sabers, and special substances like cortosis, etc. If I recall from RotJ, Luke swung his saber straight through a couple gamorreans without blinking.

No, a saber has a "infinite" cutting ability but the denser the object the harder it is to cut. To slice thru a person require a lot of heft. This is best seen when Anakin kills the sandpeople and when Dooku gives Obi two flesh wounds with a light hit and a stab. Otherwise even something like dropping the saber on the ground would cause the saber blade sink right into the ground. Yes, this isn't done every well most of the time but this effect has gotten better in the PT.

Oh. I as led to believe that it was unstoppable, except for other sabers and materials like cortosis. I learned something today.

Anyway, nice job razorace. The only thing about the demos is that it is hard to tell how well the system works so far from them because the players keep dodging, which gives the appearance of it going through them. Darn after-images.

Originally posted by razorace

It's probably going to be a while. The saber code is going to have to be gutted to get this the way we want it. Don't worry, it'll be worth the wait.

The collision improvement is basically done except for more testing and some internal code fixes. My blade model needs some improvement and I still can't get the damn bolts to attach the way I want them to. I can hack it (as it is now) but I'm not happy with it yet.

The biggie now is figuring out how I want to change the saber system.

In the meanwhile, I suggest you try the out MotF R2 that was release this weekend. It's not on the file servers yet but it can be found at http://personal.palouse.net/razorace/MotFR2.zip

Is it possible enable/disable force dodge in MotFR2 so only jedi bots have it ?

I have noticed that non jedi have the ability to force dodge which seems a little odd

Originally posted by rut-wa jodar

Is it possible enable/disable force dodge in MotFR2 so only jedi bots have it ?

I have noticed that non jedi have the ability to force dodge which seems a little odd [/b]

Dodge isn't adjustable yet and even when it is, all players will have at least some dodge ability. This is to offset the fact that all the weapons are very, very lethal. Yes, it's not very realistic but noone wants to die very 15 second either.
I dont have any mods bud
Has anyone else had this problem? It might be an issue of not having the beta version of MotF. Bill's working on converting them to .avi so we might see some of them in .avi format soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived