Home

SWGB 2. Should it mix Space combat with ground battles?

Guest DarthMaulUK

Originally posted by Darth Windu

Phreak - the question was 'should SWGB2 combine space and ground battles'

Crazy Dog - here's the thing, woul di like to see a well-made Star Wars game combing space and ground battles? Yes, i think it would be fantastic. Do i think it can be done? No.

The concept here is simply too big. Have any of your supporting this gotten past the 'wow' factor and actually considered this realistically? The game would be too big, too complicated and would require too much from the computer running it.

Instead there should be seperate games for a space-based and a ground-based Star Wars RTS, although the ground-based could include something like RoN's 'conquer the world'

BUT, it has been done. Medieval: Total War has done it, yes without space battles but they can be added on.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree with Windu on this.

1) Two separate games means more money for LucasArts, which although that might seem bad to us, the consumers, it will mean LucasArts will be able to afford to make even better games in the future, which in turn will give us better games.

2) The way the commercial software world works means that fitting heaps of cool features into one game is harder to do than splitting those features amongst two separate games. Specific deadlines are enforced on titles regardless of how many features they have. Having two titles will effectively give LucasArts twice as much time to make the game great.

3) While DMUK believes putting them in the one game would be revolutionary in the RTS genre, I disagree. It will probably just be seen as an improvement on Rebellion, especially if it is not done well (which is highly likely because of point number 2). However, making two self-sufficient games that join to make a larger, greater game is revolutionary for RTS games.

4) If you want a quick ground battle, you play the ground-game. If you want a quick space battle, you play the space game. If you want an epic war combining both, you play the combined game. Having a single game means it would be harder introduce this flexibility, as you will most likely be forced to play both space and ground at the same time, which can only lead to long games.

I would agree with the statement about two separate games means probably $100. It would be cheaper for customers to have both in one game. I am no millionaire. Money doesn't grow on trees. I am sure with computer technology the way it is that is possible to have good space combat and ground combat in one game. I wouldn't buy two separate games totally $100 or more. Plus, Lucasarts takes a long time to develop their games. If it takes them till December 2004 or sometime before Episode III in May 2005 to just make one game. Then they will probably take another two years to make the space portion of it. By then, I wouldn't be interested in RTS games probably because of me working full-time.

I would rather buy two games to get a totally awesome game than buy one that doesn't live up to expectations. And believe me, one game incorporating all this stuff will not live up to expectations because it would just be too hard to make in the time they get.

Newsflash: LucasArts would rather sell you two games than one.

I got a compromise here. You know how they'd get two teams of people to make separate games? Just have them work on one game, but use two teams for it. Also, have them charge an additional 10-15 dollars. Not too bad, and it would improve quality by a lot.

Now that DarthMaul has posted that Garry Gaber's project wasn't titled Galactic Battlegrounds related project but Garry Gaber related project I am so upset. That means it may not be a strategy game or Star wars. Well, I guess i will be in here alot less now.

as for that loss of profit thingy, if you sell a lot of the product, such as JK2, and it is good quality, you'll get more profit than if you use half that labor and sell 1/3 as much, well, I think you get it.

Sell it for 75 dollars, but get a very nicely made game, with all the trimmings. I'd buy that, most likely. But it would need to be very good (hence the two teams of programmers)

I hope Garry is working on some type of Star Wars RTS game. I just hope it isn't something stupid like a non-star wars RTS game for Lucasarts. I wonder if they could release a Space combat RTS that is Star Wars. I don't know much about engines but Age of Kings looks like it was meant for ground RTS games. Then again, I am just a star wars video game fan. What do I know!

Originally posted by joesdomain

Now that DarthMaul has posted that Garry Gaber's project wasn't titled Galactic Battlegrounds related project but Garry Gaber related project I am so upset. That means it may not be a strategy game or Star wars. Well, I guess i will be in here alot less now.

When'd he post that? :confused:

If you mix Star Wars and Star Trek you get Expanded Universe.

I like to think LucasArts can think up their own ideas for a Space RTS.

Since it seems likely that if LucasArts were to go in the Space RTS direction, they would make separate games for Ground and Space, shall we start posting ideas for the Space RTS?

We've got plenty of threads on the Ground RTS side of things. Let's think about Space RTS. Here's some ideas:

You start with a base on one planet. There are several other planets scattered around the map. You can land on uncolonised planets and gain access to the resources there. Similar to Rebellion, there are a certain amount of resources on each planet, and you build a certain number of refineries to gain access to the resources.

You can build defences around your planets to make it harder for enemies to capture them. Enemies can capture your planets by destroying all the defences and all of your units within a certain radius of the planet (but if you have the Ground RTS Game, the battle continues on the surface of the planet).

You have basic worker units that build structures. From the structures you can build things like fighters, bombers, medium ships, and capital ships.

It is. I don't think I ever played a game from start to finish.

I think the reason it took so long was it was so large scale. You had the ENTIRE GALAXY to conquer. I see the Space RTS as being more solar system based, where there's only a dozen or so planets. I guess it would be kind of like the settlement idea in AoM - you start with a town center already built on a settlement, then go out and capture more settlements. If you destroy enemy bases you can take their settlements over too. Exactly the same with Planets, except instead of giving you only a pop boost like in AoM you get a pop boost plus access to more resources. There could also be some resources in space that your construction crews (who build structures in space) can mine.

I also think a Star wars space-combat strategy game should be 3-D. It wouldn't look that good if it looked like Galactic Battlegrounds 1. I want to see ships more to scale in a space combat game. Galactic Battlegrounds 1 wasn't. Star Destroyers being the size of a X-wing is not cool.

Archived