Home

SWGB 2. Should it mix Space combat with ground battles?

Guest DarthMaulUK

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think liberties with scales might need to be taken. If you have everything to scale, the planets could take up the whole screen but the TIE Fighters would only appear as tiny dots. Having said that, the Star Destroyers should be huge. As I said before, some sort of weird perspective should be taken with the planets, so they appear like they are a long way in the background or something.

Originally posted by Admiral Vostok

If you mix Star Wars and Star Trek you get Expanded Universe.

I like to think LucasArts can think up their own ideas for a Space RTS.

Since it seems likely that if LucasArts were to go in the Space RTS direction, they would make separate games for Ground and Space, shall we start posting ideas for the Space RTS?

We've got plenty of threads on the Ground RTS side of things. Let's think about Space RTS. Here's some ideas:

You start with a base on one planet. There are several other planets scattered around the map. You can land on uncolonised planets and gain access to the resources there. Similar to Rebellion, there are a certain amount of resources on each planet, and you build a certain number of refineries to gain access to the resources.

You can build defences around your planets to make it harder for enemies to capture them. Enemies can capture your planets by destroying all the defences and all of your units within a certain radius of the planet (but if you have the Ground RTS Game, the battle continues on the surface of the planet).

You have basic worker units that build structures. From the structures you can build things like fighters, bombers, medium ships, and capital ships.

Hey, don't copy my ideas! I want a works cited!

(ok, I'm JK, but I made that idea first, so ya know)

I hope they introduce Galactic Battlegrounds 2 at E3 next month. I hope it is space-combat Strategy game this time or at least a combination. I have feeling it will mostly be introduction of their non-star wars titles. Because I notice that year's press releases at Lucasarts.com mentioned Sam and Max 2, Full Throttle II, A Untitled World War II Flight Combat Game, Wrath, Gladius, and Untitled Humoruos Action Game. Plus Galaxies, Jedi Knight Academy, Rogue Squadron 3. Can't forget Playstation 2 games coming out in May which are Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb and RTX Red Rock and X-box Live's The Clone Wars. It doesn't look to good for us Star Wars Strategy game people. I know I will be upset at Lucasarts if they don't release details at E3 2003.

I can dream all I want. I just can't believe they would make Rogue Squadron 3 and Jedi Knight III but not a sequel to Galactic Battlegrounds. It is the only good Star Wars strategy game that made good money. Force Commander and Rebellion didn't make good money. I think Lucasarts should make a new Star Wars Strategy Game. At least give details even if it doesn't come out till Fall or Winter 2004!

I doubt they will release the next Star Wars Strategy Game in 2005. It will probably be released in the middle or end of 2004. That way they could get more money by adding Episode III content in an expansion pack sometime in May 2005. Then they could re-release it as a Saga Pack and make more money 6 months after that. Basically the same route as Galactic Battlegrounds release dates.

"There are 3 maps per"level" one space, and two planet.

You each start on one planet, and then there is a special command to send your planes up in to space( second map comes in here). You then need to use a "hyperspace" counter so that you can't go back and forth immediately, and there are such things you need to swerve or destroy, such as mines and such.

You then need to descend on to your opponent's planet, where you can unload your troop forces, and use fighters and troops to rain terror upon your foe."

It's similar, but not entirely. That's why I said I had the core idea first.

I am personally hoping for a Space Combat only Star Wars Strategy Game for PC as the next Star Wars Strategy Game for PC. They could make a companion game to Galactic Battlegrounds for PC. It would be easy to make it using Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire since there are many starships in movies. Not too many for Trade Federation, Confederacy, Naboo, Wookies, and a few for Republic.

Naboo, wookies,gungans I agree on. They don't have a space force. The republic has the assult ships. The Trade Federation and the Confedracy have the TF battleships.

If it is space and ground it will be very hard to win, and also if you get build an SD and no one else has one you are sure to win. So it wouldn't be fair.

You can and must make up Space forces. Naboo have a few fighters and they can make up some stuff. They don't have to be strong in that part. They can simply have a weak space force. It's gonna be stupid to have Imps, rebs, rep, confed, and trade fed able to win a space/ground while you're sure you can't win with the other civs 'cause they can't attack...

I think LA just needs to make a Space RTS all buy itself.

Like Star Trek Armada 2. Now that is a pretty good Space RTS game. In fact, I used to have a Mod that converted the game for Star Wars ships and I played it non stop, but I had to reinstall the game so I lost the mod files....

If they had a Space and Ground mix for SWGB2, then most civs would be screwed....

Just make a Space RTS and it could have Empire, New Republic/Reb Alliance, Yuuzhan Vong, and maybe some Pirate faction.

I figure that is what Lucasarts has up it's sleeve. They made rebellion first, followed by force commander, and now Galactic Battlegrounds. That is 2 strategy games for ground combat and 1 for space combat. I assume the next star wars strategy game will be space combat only. I would like to see Rebel Alliance, Galactic empire, Imperial Remenant, New Republic, and Vong for that game.

I hadn't even considered a space-only swgb 2. I had figured they would make a larger scale engine and air would have a larger role with stronger fighters and gigantic capitol ships, and ground would still be an important factor. The only civ they would have trouble with space-only is with the gungans for obvious reasons.

The tf has enough aircraft in the movies alone, and if they took concept art from existing games, you have a full fleet. The Wookiees, they could have one civ they could be creative on, Wookiees in space isn't impossible.

Naboo, somewhat similiar to the tf. Confederacy certainly had aircraft also. With all the ep. 2 games and other information the Republic would be more than logical.

Yes, yes, yes...

That would be awesome. If this thread is open for ideas, I will come with mine.

You should stand as a commander, and in front of you, there's a big hologram of the galaxy. Then you could on a place or planet, and then you zoomed in to that planet or piece of space, sort of thing! There should, of course, be a very intellingent AI, as you can't control 100 things different things in a galaxy!

Archived