Home

SV_SetBrushModel: Null

AKPiggott

OK... I've discovered that the area portals work in enclosed areas, but not at doors that lead from outside to indoors (where I need them the most). I believe that this is because the level is split into three open sections that are enclosed in a skybox. Whenever the skybox is visible, all the triangles for the outdoor areas are visible. How on Earth I am supposed to fix this is beyond me.

OK. I've determined that area portals do not work unless used with two structrually sealed rooms. I looked at kejim_post and found that doors leading from outside to indoors do not have area portals.

This doesn't explain though why I can see brushes with showtris on when they are behind structrual brushes.

Well, Q3Map2 hasn't done anything on standard settings... in fact, it's worse....

The prospect of scrapping this level is now all the more tempting... I'm not willing to release a level with as many technical problems as this one.

Hmmm...what if you place a caulk brush on top of that big wall, to meet the skybox brush?

OR, even better, put a hint brush up there! cut it into a trapezoid such that the wide face is on top, meeting the skybox brush, and the narrow part lines up perfectly with that wall (those billboards will be inside it). This will make splits such that the game will only render one side plus the middle at the most. Hard to explain, maybe I'll draw you a picture...(or Emon can elaborate)

Could you split your skybox in two? They could both end on top of that wall; it seemed straight enough. Just leave some space between them. I guess the player won't be anyway able to climb up there. I have serious doubts that hint brushes would do any good in this situation. They have worked for me only in straight angle corridors, and even that only with luck.

I'm getting SV:setbrushmodel:NULL now too.

I just added three hint brushes (which I still don't understand). I got the error so I deleted them. Didn't work. I checked my movers (only doors and statics). They all (except the doors, which don't need origins) have origin and visible, solid, brushes. I ran brush cleanup: "0 invalid/duplicated planes removed".

The error persists. I'm guessing it's an areaportal brush, but I didn't edit any before the error started. Still weird. I'm going to delete the possible offender and report back with the results.

GRRRRRRRRRRR. Still there. Why...why...why...why...why...why <pounds moniter screen>.

Wait, would a 1 unit thick fuinc_breakable do it? I've had one for three weeks, but it hasn't caused a problem until now. Not the first frustration. Oh well.

AKPiggot, that wasn't the first time you've threatened to drop the project. IT IS THE BEST MAP MADE SO FAR. DON'T DROP IT. PLEASE

• 2 weeks later...

Archived