Home

Adobe Acrobat documents

I'm close to finishing my Star Wars: Dawning rulebook. Problem is, with all the illustrations, mostly eye-candy, that I'm putting into it, it's close to 30MB big (a bit big for a 20-page document). So I'm thinking about converting the WORD document to something smaller. Same goes for the ship library. I would like to put more illustrations and maybe some ship pics in there, but if the file becomes to big when I do I won't be able to.

If I can't find a way to compress the document (zipping shrinks it, but not enough), I'll have to remove a ton of pics from the rulebook and lower the detail of the remaining ones from BMP to JPG, which I don't want to do for obvious reasons.

Do anyone know of a document format that can store pictures as part of them without taking up too much space? I've heard Acrobat documents do, is this right? In that case, how can I convert a .DOC document to a .PDF document?

Come on, reply and help make Dawning happen :)!

Did you do it in Illustrator 10? Just export the document as a .pdf file and everyone will be able to read it.

Well, I saved the pics as 24bit BMP files and pasted them into the word document.

Just export the document as a .pdf file and everyone will be able to read it.

I'll try. Will that decrease the file size, though? 'Cause that's kind of my main objective here.

Not entirely sure of your version, but my version of word (Word 2000) has the ability to convert a word file to a .pdf file. I think it has this program called "Adobe PDFMaker for Word"

I've never really tried it before, but I just did an experimentation file with some text and a rather large picture and the word file came out to be 464 Kb, and the PDF file was only 64 Kb :eek:

So we're talkin' more than a 7:1 ratio change...perhaps it won't be the same, but it seems worthit. Might change 30 mb to 5-10...

Archived